Is Nate Marquardt Really Ready for Demian Maia's Jiu Jitsu?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Is Nate Marquardt Really Ready for Demian Maia's Jiu Jitsu?
emfleek
8/24/09 1:39:31PM
Obviously you have your fair share of submission wins, but is it even worth the risk for you to go to the ground with him?

"That's something I can't answer until I get in the fight, to be honest, because if the opportunity presents itself with him and we land there, and I feel comfortable and do some damage, I'm experienced enough that I'm not going to make some silly mistake and get caught in a triangle or something like that. The triangle that I have to worry about is the one he sets up. If I feel like he's setting stuff up, I'm going to try to get back to my feet, but if I'm doing damage, I'm going to keep doing damage."

STORY
joshryanshepherd
8/24/09 1:44:18PM
Ready? IDK. im sure Nate will Win but the only MW that can match or even better Maia's Jits is Jacare.
whardin19
8/24/09 1:53:24PM
I think Marquardt will be able to handle Maia. But, I don't think Nate has ever seen the kind of Jiu Jitsu that he's going to face Saturday. Maia is just on a whole nother level. It sounds like he knows what he wants to do. It's just implementing that plan without falling victim to a submission. His best bet is to just use his wrestling and striking to knock out Maia or win a decision.
wrona666
8/24/09 2:25:22PM
I think Nate takes this fight with ease......Nate by late TKO or UD.......
UFCmma666
8/24/09 3:23:43PM
i know that he is definitely not ready for what maia brings to the table as far as jiu jitsu but mix some strikes in it and it could be a different story but i think if nate tries to stay on the ground with maia he will get get submitted i think its in nate best interest to strike with maia and avoid the ground altogether he says hell try to stand up if he feels uncomfortable on the ground that wont be as easy as he may think if hes anywere with maia on the ground you better believe maia is doing everything he can to keep it there and if nate cant get out he may panic and thats the easiest way to get submitted
jae_1833
8/24/09 3:28:55PM
I think with what he says he's already winning. If he can execute what he said then he will win easily. The guy is no BJJ slouch, plus he is better than Maia in every other way. I got him picked for UD or late TKO.
jiujitsufreak74
8/24/09 3:35:54PM
Nate's statements reassure me that he will be victorious saturday. not many people know that he is also a second degree blackbelt in BJJ and he will realize when the situation on the ground is getting dangerous. as much as i want Maia to assert the power of JJ athletes in MMA, Marquardt is a strong JJ athlete himself with the experince and the all around game.
BigBadAl
8/24/09 3:42:13PM
Damn, everyone is picking Nate and I went with Maia in a double with Thaigo Silva due to good odd's. At the back of my mind I always thought Nate would win but in my heart I want to see a real dominant BJJ player rule once again.
Wallass
8/24/09 4:04:38PM
Gotta go with Maia in this one. I think this may be a somewhat boring fight since they are going to each try to avoid the others strong suit but I do think Maia will have enough on the ground to either sub or grind out a unanimous decision.
wrona666
8/24/09 4:23:48PM

Posted by Wallass

Gotta go with Maia in this one. I think this may be a somewhat boring fight since they are going to each try to avoid the others strong suit but I do think Maia will have enough on the ground to either sub or grind out a unanimous decision.

Even if most of the fight is on the ground it will be Nate on top so i don't know how Maia would take a UD......I just don't see that happening......of course with Maia's JJ skills a sub is possible at any time, but Nate is no slouch on the ground and he will be the much stronger fighter so i just don't see how a UD win for Maia would be possible......
Pskinner_mma314
8/24/09 5:18:01PM
i can already see this fight bringin up another "change the rules on judging" thread if it goes to decision.

say Maia attempts a bunch of subs, but Nate gets out, who gets more points?

Maia for the attempt, or Nate for the escape?

Or if its slow and neither is doing much damage, and Nate stays on top, but Maia is more active, are the judges gonna give Nate the win for control(as in the kind the UFC sees as control, the guy on top is winning)

i'm tellin u it could bring the whole effort to finish talk up again.
UFCmma666
8/24/09 5:24:14PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

i can already see this fight bringin up another "change the rules on judging" thread if it goes to decision.

say Maia attempts a bunch of subs, but Nate gets out, who gets more points?

Maia for the attempt, or Nate for the escape?

Or if its slow and neither is doing much damage, and Nate stays on top, but Maia is more active, are the judges gonna give Nate the win for control(as in the kind the UFC sees as control, the guy on top is winning)

i'm tellin u it could bring the whole effort to finish talk up again.

well thats simple the submission attempt should always be awarded more points for the fact he is trying to end the fight and the opposing fighter is just trying to survive for example like wrestling 4+ points for a near pin or 1 point for an escape
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/24/09 5:26:24PM
Maia wont have his tongue out .....

But it will look something like that
gartface
8/24/09 5:31:30PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Maia wont have his tongue out .....
But it will look something like that

If he fought Almeida again, he would absolutely obliterate him.
KaibaThedon
8/24/09 5:37:19PM
WAR Maia and his sickly BJJ.

Nate is awesome, but I want Demian to win so bad !
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/24/09 6:42:13PM
nate may have not faced a blackbelt like Maia yet, granted but I don't think maia has faced a big striker like Marquardt yet
so I go with marquardt in this one, I think he can stay on his feet unless he initiates the take down for some gnp, great fight, I think it should be the main event, kinda lol
teddythetuna
8/24/09 6:54:14PM
The fact that Mir said Maia makes him feel like a brown belt and Maia is a Lefty which can be awkward to deal with when he is trying for a submission is making me pick Maia. Maia by 2nd Rnd Sub.
UFCmma666
8/24/09 7:30:57PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

nate may have not faced a blackbelt like Maia yet, granted but I don't think maia has faced a big striker like Marquardt yet
so I go with marquardt in this one, I think he can stay on his feet unless he initiates the take down for some gnp, great fight, I think it should be the main event, kinda lol

i think its funny how people are saying that nates such a great striker lets not forget he got dropped by THALES LEITES
gartface
8/24/09 8:02:51PM

Posted by UFCmma666

i think its funny how people are saying that nates such a great striker lets not forget he got dropped by THALES LEITES

Because picking apart and destroying Wilson Gouveia on the feet doesn't speak for itself...
zephead
8/24/09 8:03:48PM
I think Nate will be to strong for him
gartface
8/24/09 8:33:55PM

Posted by zephead

I think Nate will be to strong for him

Agreed.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/24/09 10:55:38PM

Posted by gartface

Because picking apart and destroying Wilson Gouveia on the feet doesn't speak for itself...

Look out K1 ...... rory singer is coming!
jiujitsufreak74
8/24/09 11:05:34PM
as great as Maia's JJ is, it isn't like it is light years beyond Nate's. Nate is a second degree blackbelt and you don't just earn that for mediocre skills. Maia will have to work for any submission he will get, and Nate is skilled enough to recognize when he is working for something and stand back up. MMA is a completely different animal than JJ, and even though Maia has been extremely impressive (much to my great pleasure) with his transition Nate's experience and all around game will win this one for him. Nate really has one of the best styles to take out Maia. i'll be rooting for Demian, but it does not look good on paper imo.
higdon10
8/24/09 11:37:50PM

Posted by UFCmma666

He got caught. It happens. Nate is a very good striker, his performances speak for themselves.
joshryanshepherd
8/25/09 6:30:01PM

Posted by higdon10

He got caught. It happens. Nate is a very good striker, his performances speak for themselves.

prozacnation1978
8/25/09 8:08:13PM
there are two solid picks for me that i won't change no matter what
couture and maia!!

say what u want, if nate hits the ground he will be in trouble,
telnights
8/25/09 10:54:07PM
Nate Marquardt has very good BJJ and has better stand up. Plus Nate's TDD is high level. I would like to see Maia do well but I don't see him subbing Nate.