Nate Marquardt Pulls The Old ‘Don’t Be Scared, Homey’ on Thales Leites

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nate Marquardt Pulls The Old ‘Don’t Be Scared, Homey’ on Thales Leites
Focker101
7/2/08 1:36:25PM
Here’s an interesting trend in MMA: a guy beats you in a fight through either a decision or somewhat questionable stoppage. You immediately demand a rematch, but he’d rather not do that because he wants to move on with his career and continue climbing the ladder in the division. So you do what any rational person would do. You accuse him of being scared to fight you again.

LINK
Khaos
7/2/08 1:37:51PM
I think they should rematch
goatse
7/2/08 1:46:23PM
why rematch?

IMO nates a boring a fighter, who wouldnt want that guy in there league?
finnish_line
7/2/08 1:47:13PM

If I was Leites I'd just respond:

"Who knows how he would cheat next time? A loaded glove? Throw powder in my eyes?

Sorry, but I have a family to think about."
poet
7/2/08 1:47:57PM

Posted by Khaos

I think they should rematch

And let Leites have one free knee to Nates head.

Ok I like the rematch now
coldchillin
7/2/08 2:05:26PM
Marquardt is a boring fighter but I still think he's a better fighter than Leites. It wouldn't really make sense for the UFC to rematch them though because either guy isn't that very popular and they don't have the fanbases that would pay to see it.
Pyrenus
7/2/08 2:22:43PM
My respect for Nate just keeps going down.
xposipx
7/2/08 2:32:50PM
Well, Nate won the fight, but Thales won the scoring.

He just needs to move on...he was actually losing the fight up until his illegal knee. I would pick Nate in a rematch...all he needs is a win over a mid tier fighter to get back towards the top.
DevonFoxy
7/2/08 3:18:42PM

Posted by Focker101

Here’s an interesting trend in MMA: a guy beats you in a fight through either a decision or somewhat questionable stoppage. You immediately demand a rematch, but he’d rather not do that because he wants to move on with his career and continue climbing the ladder in the division. So you do what any rational person would do. You accuse him of being scared to fight you again.

LINK

This article was kind of crappy no offense but I understand when a fighter like Vera getting the L and feeling cheated in his match with Werdum but Werdum feels he won that match completely so he has no reason to rematch is kinda different.

With out the point deductions Nate would have won that fight and I think overall he could win that fight and I think Leites knows that as well so I mean this article is kind of off imo.
billycarnage
7/2/08 3:22:43PM
Niether fighter is boring. Nate won that fight minus the first IMO (could have gone either way. He dominated the second and then hell broke loose in the third but still. Before the knee and after the knee he had a ferocious pace and was working Thales over. If anything it would have been a draw but I watched it again and again and still give it to Marquart 28-27.
I think Thales was just as surprised as everyone else that he won. He should be scared.
juanez13
7/2/08 3:33:28PM

Posted by billycarnage

Niether fighter is boring

agree, IMO i dont get why people are saying Marquardt is boring, really dont see it.
gsquat
7/2/08 3:59:04PM
Thales dodged a bullet in that fight so I don't blame him. Even though I nailed the fight (Leites SD) I wouldn't pick Thales if they rematched.
goatse
7/2/08 4:05:48PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by billycarnage

Niether fighter is boring

agree, IMO i dont get why people are saying Marquardt is boring, really dont see it.

see nate vs ivan salavary
lordicast
7/2/08 4:10:24PM
"Dont be scared homey" I use to say that all the time to play pick up ball games at the park! works every time
Figsak
7/2/08 5:00:12PM
I've never used the phrase "Homey" OR "Pick up ball" in my life, and I'm very proud of that.
Wolfenstein
7/2/08 5:27:38PM
Now he just sounds like Nick Diaz, who said the same thing to KJ Noons. Nate needs to shut his mouth, he's been going on about this for some time. I don't think Nate's a dirty fighter, but in that bout he was dirty and could have easily been disqualified for numerous infractions.

Thales was dominating before the illegal knee, and he never looked the same afterwards. Thales could have easily said he can't continue and he could have won right then and there.

What's in it for Thales to fight him again? Nothing. On the other hand it would be huge for Nate to avenge that loss.

Personally I think Nate is making a total ass of himself. He's not going to take the bait, move on andprepare for our next fight Nate, before people completely lose respect for you.
Jason-plata
7/2/08 6:52:01PM
That fight was Nates... The last point taken from him should have never been taken. Nate is the better fighter and I am sure that Thales Leites is scared.. He got his a$s handed to him in that fight.
krthll1
7/2/08 7:05:41PM
Marquardt needs to get past it because the knee took a lot of wind away from Leites. So thats one reason he didn't look as good the rest of the fight. Marquardt is probably a better fight but there are rules. They aren't fight on the streets so Leites gets the win. What's the issue?
PaleHorse
7/2/08 8:40:28PM

Posted by finnish_line

If I was Leites I'd just respond:

"Who knows how he would cheat next time? A loaded glove? Throw powder in my eyes?

Sorry, but I have a family to think about."

So very true, I don't blame him for not wanting a rematch when I counted 3 illegal moves done during the fight, all in a fashion that could have illegally ended the fight, Nate needs to learn the rules like everyone else has because he really would have been d/qed if that piledriver was any earlier in the fight.
lordicast
7/2/08 8:54:44PM

Posted by Figsak

I've never used the phrase "Homey" OR "Pick up ball" in my life, and I'm very proud of that.

You must be a very exciting guy then way to cool for those phrases
PaleHorse
7/2/08 9:01:52PM

Posted by lordicast

Posted by Figsak

They should have more pickup fights in MMA. Just go to like "Octagon Park" and fight whoever's there. That'd be pretty killer, get it sanctioned by the bum sleeping under the cage and pay him a bottle of vodka to ref it for you, I'd do that once a week if it was available :-p.
lordicast
7/2/08 9:07:36PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by lordicast

Posted by Figsak

They should have more pickup fights in MMA. Just go to like "Octagon Park" and fight whoever's there. That'd be pretty killer, get it sanctioned by the bum sleeping under the cage and pay him a bottle of vodka to ref it for you, I'd do that once a week if it was available :-p.

Me 2 but i dont think we could cash in on it; Because those guys from BUMFIGHTS might sue us LOL
candynuts
7/2/08 9:19:09PM
I dont want to see a rematch to be honest, I say Nate wins this one at least 7 out of 10. Marquardt is very well rounded, and i'd say is top 5 in the division. I would of loved to see a fight with him and Franklin or Henderson, but I think he should steer away from a rematch with Leites and have him test out another young contender in Kampmann.
prozacnation1978
7/2/08 10:02:54PM
i am starting to lose respect for the guy, drop it and move on
Figsak
7/2/08 10:08:17PM

Posted by lordicast

Posted by Figsak

I just know if one of my friends ever used the word "Homey" with a straight face, I'd beat him up, and I'd hope he'd care for me enough to do the same for me.

And I ******* SUCK at basketball like a good whiteboy should. So to me "pick up ball" means a pickup game of "I'm about to be embarrassed in front of my girl".