Nate Marquardt vs. Martin Kampmann likely to finalize UFC 88 main card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nate Marquardt vs. Martin Kampmann likely to finalize UFC 88 main card
Wolfenstein
8/1/08 1:10:55AM
Could be the coming out for Kampman. Just in case anyone has forgotten that this guy is a top middleweight.

link
SpiderSilva
8/1/08 1:12:58AM
ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think nate might over power him but love that "hitman" is finnaly back fighting a good MW
xphycorx
8/1/08 1:29:20AM
wow what a great fight. this is probably the most evenly matched fight on the 88 card. marquardt really bothered me in his last fight with leites. he did a couple of illegal things that could've gotten him a dq. war kampman!
Twenty20Dollars
8/1/08 1:46:19AM
most of those illegal blows were an accident, it was more of instinct just not knowing thales knee was on the ground when nate knee'd him. elbow wasnt an illegal blow.

Now kampmann can take some punishment like the mcfedries fight, but martin is going to be at a disadvantage in this fight. Smaller fighter and i think nate is just about better in every aspect im not saying by much but enough to win this fight.
Khaos
8/1/08 3:11:18AM
Nice to see Kampmann get a chance to show he's a top contender.

I'm taking Kampmann, UD most likely.

WAR KAMPMANN
Pookie
8/1/08 3:14:22AM
I think marquardt will be able to take him down and fend off any submissions.
Rabi
8/1/08 5:49:20AM
Its going to be a tought fight. I reckon Nate by decision. But it will be a war.
bojangalz
8/1/08 6:12:33AM
wow, I don't know which way to go here, but I'm lovin the hell outta this match-up!
Rabi
8/1/08 6:19:37AM
WAR NATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nickcuc547
8/1/08 6:43:10AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

most of those illegal blows were an accident, it was more of instinct just not knowing thales knee was on the ground when nate knee'd him. elbow wasnt an illegal blow.

Now kampmann can take some punishment like the mcfedries fight, but martin is going to be at a disadvantage in this fight. Smaller fighter and i think nate is just about better in every aspect im not saying by much but enough to win this fight.

everybody makes a big deal about the elbow not being illegal, but he threw five or six elbows to the back of the head in that fight that herb dean warned him about, he was playing with fire. plus that pile driver was ridiculous.
Rabi
8/1/08 6:44:58AM
That Pile driver wasnt illigal, but after that knee Leites wasnt the same after that and was in survival mode.
bojangalz
8/1/08 10:08:01AM

Posted by Rabi

That Pile driver wasnt illigal, but after that knee Leites wasnt the same after that and was in survival mode.

Umm, that piledriver was completely illegal and dangerous. (fun as hell to see, but illegal nonetheless) Here are the fouls for MMA as listed by NSAC:

Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent. (see Gouging)
Striking downward using the point of the elbow. (see Elbow (strike))
Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
Grabbing the clavicle.
Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
Stomping a grounded opponent.
Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck. (see piledriver)
Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
Spitting at an opponent.
Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
Interference by the corner.
Throwing in the towel during competition. (forfeit)

I can't believe that there wasn't any commentary given during or after the fight about the pile driver, and I'm even more frightened that Herb Dean didn't even deduct a point. That's negligence on the part of the ref if you ask me. I didn't realize it was illegal either until I heard Big john talking about the fight on Inside MMA. But after knowing the rules better and watching that fight a few times, I'm shocked that it wasn't a DQ win for Leites.

I can see where the initial knee may be inadvertant. Leites was on his way up, and I think Nate just timed the knee poorly. but that knee had a clear impact on the match. And Nate was warned about elbows earlier in the match. I don't think the strike that resulted in the deduction was illegal itself, but given the context of the bout to that point, I don't completely disagree with Dean's deduction.

I like Marquardt, and I don't recall seeing him fight that dirty before. I'm not sure you can just chalk it up to an 'off night', but he didn't deserve for the fight to even get to the judges. It should have been a DQ immediatly following the pile driver. Dean dropped the ball on that one.
Rabi
8/1/08 10:23:58AM
I didnt realise it was illegal either. That pile driver was out of pure frustration. With what you have just told me its fair to say Herb Dean had a very bad night.
Gipper
8/1/08 10:33:47AM
nice...2 of ufc's best mw's. i love it.
Rabi
8/1/08 10:35:02AM
It will be an all out war.
billycarnage
8/1/08 12:11:15PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

everybody makes a big deal about the elbow not being illegal, but he threw five or six elbows to the back of the head in that fight that herb dean warned him about, he was playing with fire. plus that pile driver was ridiculous.

I didn't see one let alone five or six. The elbow he was called on wasn't even close. It was obviously a make up call for the illegal knee. It was an honest mistake. Herb Dean needs to quit watching the NBA (makeup call nonsense). Thales was handed that victory out of pity and that is nothing to be proud of. I bet we'll see Marquardt get another title shot before Leites.

This is a mirror match and I think Marquardt is slightly stronger in every area. Including his experience. As much as I like Kampmann I think he will lose.
MMAcca
8/2/08 6:59:50AM
Looks like it's going to be at UFC 89......

LINK
candynuts
8/2/08 3:04:34PM
Wow, I was waiting for a big test for Kampmann and I think this is it. Definately excited about this fight and wanted this happen to fight ASAP.
Ordep
8/2/08 4:03:44PM
*&^%$#@

So 88's Main Card is still without any good match-up, there room for upsets but nothing really intriguing, at least it has the most decent prelims of all the upcoming events.It sucks that they're selling names and not fights for this event, I think I'll sell my ticket.

Probably they'll just add Amir Sadollah vs Mr. No-name to make it worse.