Nate Diaz gets title shot, will wait for winner of Benson Henderson-Frankie Edgar II

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nate Diaz gets title shot, will wait for winner of Benson Henderson-Frankie Edgar II
« Previous Page
KungFuMaster
5/7/12 12:41:57AM
I get the feeling the ufc is trying to reserve a slot for Pettis which I see no point in doing so. There are plenty of LW talents to give the champion a run for his money. One option I would have love to see is Diaz vs Pettis for the number one contender slot- but of course that seems out of the picture for now.
Kpro
5/7/12 12:54:25AM
Joe Silva is probaby just waiting to see if Cerrone beats Stephens next week to book a Cerrone vs. Pettis matchup. Diaz is smartly waiting for the title shot. Karo and Pettis himself can tell you about why not to take a fight in the meantime.
Manak
5/7/12 1:07:25PM
so what happens if there is a controversial dec and edgar wins, those making him and Henderson 1-1, I personally thought the rematch was not warrant but would henderson get if this does happen.

Nate diaz has been on a role so no prb with him getting a shot. Pettis is only riding a 2 fight win streak and being this division is pretty stacked, it should take more than that to get a title shot or a number #1 contender fight.
Bubbles
5/7/12 11:24:20PM

Posted by lohmann

Pettis has beat a top ten lightweight. He has also beat a top five lightweight. Actually, he's beat the top lightweight. I think it's fair to make the claim that you can win the title when the champion is somebody you have a relatively recent victory over. Besides, he has just as many top ten wins as Nate Diaz does. The reason he is not getting a title shot is because he lost to Clay Guida at lightweight while Nate Diaz lost to Rory MacDonald at welterweight.

Either way, I'm stoked for any lightweight title fight that isn't a rematch at this point. Pettis is a favorite of mine, but Nate Diaz will be just as fun to watch.

yeah he did beat Bendo, then lost to Guida which killed all of his momentum. He then beat two top 20 fighters...does that put him ahead of Diaz who just steamrolled through 2 top title contenders in a row? I don't think so
Kpro
5/8/12 12:36:29AM

Posted by Manak

so what happens if there is a controversial dec and edgar wins, those making him and Henderson 1-1, I personally thought the rematch was not warrant but would henderson get if this does happen.

Nate diaz has been on a role so no prb with him getting a shot. Pettis is only riding a 2 fight win streak and being this division is pretty stacked, it should take more than that to get a title shot or a number #1 contender fight.

Cerrone fights Stephens in a week, Edgar and Benson are in 3 months. It actually lines up perfectly. If Cerrone wins, he can face Petis within the month after the Edgar/Benson fight, and if there is another trilogy needed at 155 and Pettis can beat Cerrone, it'd be a perfect build up to a Pettis/Diaz for #1 contender around the year end card when Edgar and Benson settle the score and Pettis has put 3 wins together. If the trilogy isn't needed and Pettis got a win over Cerrone then he would be coming off of 3 wins and would probably be staring at a #1 contender match, just against someone other than Diaz.
Pages: 1 [2]