Is Nate Diaz ready?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is Nate Diaz ready?
Next Page »
whardin19
1/27/08 10:45:41AM
I myself agree with Diaz who says he's ready for Top 10 talent in the UFC. The guy has had two really good submission wins in a row. But will the UFC feed him to their big dogs right now? I don't think they will. They always sugar cote there TUF winners at first. Which I don't agree with. I say give the kid what he wants. Let him fight the Top 10 guys in the UFC. I think he'd be a threat if he got the opporunitity. What does everyone else think?
grappler0000
1/27/08 10:54:06AM
I've been impressed with what I've seen so far, but for him to be top 10, I think he has to beat someone who is top 10...or least have a dominating performance against a top 15.
aaa9erh8er
1/27/08 11:22:03AM
personaly i dislike diaz as a fighter and as a person but i love his brother. but i say if he wants a step up in comp. fine he earned that but a top ten guy i dont no. well who is top 10 in the div these days. imo the ufc has no less then 5 really strong really well rounded LW fighters. exapmle spencer fisher is he top ten i dont no but dam close for sure can diaz beat him simply no fisher has a good enuf ground game to neturlize that and diaz's standup sure aint up to par with that.
Damien6663
1/27/08 11:48:40AM
I think they will match diaz up with some1 like guida, griffin, or edgar. Guys who are legit, and might be making a run towards a title shot (edgar or griffin) or an established talent like guida.

Nate to me is a good but limited fighter, his striking is sloppy, and he can be taken down and controlled, his jitsu is very very slick though. I think he is a legit fighter but will never be top tier.
xchickox
1/27/08 12:54:06PM
i'd like to see him against someone like pellegrino, guida, aurelio
Boo_Radley21
1/27/08 1:10:59PM
Guida would be a good fight for him.
nickcuc547
1/27/08 2:06:53PM
i think he will get the winner of din thomas vs. josh neer. thomas is a borderline top 10 guy and a veteran, he would be a good measuring stick for diaz ( and i personally think he would beat him).
THE_DRiZzLE
1/27/08 2:14:33PM
Diaz has been impressive so far but i think he needs to be careful and not get ahead of himself.. i personally think it would be best if he got more experience in before fighting top 10 competition imho.. if he's not careful he may get what he wants and end up flat on his ass looking like a fool..
Mayhem13
1/27/08 3:00:19PM
I think he should fight either

Pelligrino
or
Fisher

but I think he will fight Manny next
NatedawgThaM
1/27/08 3:12:18PM
Nate Diaz's stand up is VERY underrated. He picked apart Hermes Franca and the only reason he hasn't done it yet in the UFC is because they take him down so he just makes them pay for it. He has extreme long limbs which is bad for any wrestler and his BJJ is great as you can see.

Nate Diaz could be champ IMO. He just needs to mature and take it slowly by slowly making his way up the ladder. I can find a way for him to beat anybody except BJ. Nate Diaz can be a serious threat for anybody.

YES he is ready!
DCRage
1/27/08 5:14:21PM
He's getting better and it's showing, but I still won't fully accept and respect him until he beats Manny (Gamburyan) legit. Then I'll give Nate his due.
hippysmacker
1/27/08 5:47:56PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Guida would be a good fight for him.

I agree . If he beats Guida he's a contender to me. I personally think he needs a lot more muscle before he could beat anyone I consider a contender. Way too skinny right now. Even his big bro is thin, but he's a lot buffer than Nate, and it looks like Nick has buffed up in the last year. I beleive if you put him in with even a smaller 155 lb. grappler like Edgar, who has good functional strength & sub , Nate would just spend 3 rounds on his back. So while I think he has the tools and mindset to be a top guy, a year of weight training would really help him IMO.
NineDuce
1/27/08 6:20:37PM
i think 155 is too small of a weight class for him, yeah he can do good submissions but his standup isnt that great and think he should improve it and work with nick a little more on that or even better go to a kickboxing academy and work the standup since hes real good on the ground

dont think he would do good against any of the top 5 or even the top 10 but if he wants to fight them lets see what hes got, i say for his warmup fight give him frankie edgar, or clay guida, or joe stevenson
Lay_N_Pray
1/27/08 6:40:06PM
The problem with the top guys in the division like Guida, Griffin, Edgar is that they are all way too strong for Diaz. I agree Nate has some of the best ju jitsu skills in the division and has tremendous flexibility, but his standup isnt there and either is his wrestling.

Griffin, Edgar, and Guida would all just put him on the mat and hold him down for three rounds. If you remember what Gamburyan did to him, strength was a big obstacle Diaz couldnt seem to get around.

Then if you throw him to a guy like Fisher or Florian he would just get KO'd hardcore. They both have sick standup.

I personally would like to see him fight Alberto Crane or Roger Huerta, who while he is a top guy, seems to match up ok for Diaz.
Svartorm
1/27/08 8:59:38PM
So far they've been careful to match him up with BJJ guys of a skill below his own. I actually had Robinson for the win, figuring he could hurt him on the feet and control the ground, so hes better than I thought.

Theres some good match-ups still, but if they put him against the wrong guy, hes going to be in a world of hurt I think.

If I had to guess who his next fight is though, I'd guess Clementi, and it'll be a close one.
bls1919
1/27/08 9:11:33PM
I say give the dude what he want. Give him fischer, Guida, or griffen see how he does. I dont think he would beat any of them. IMO his next fight will be against Manny Gamburian(sp)
Svartorm
1/27/08 9:55:34PM
Thats an option as well, but I think they'll sit on that for a bit until Manny has another win or two, and then set it up.
Styles
1/28/08 2:35:33AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Nate Diaz's stand up is VERY underrated. He picked apart Hermes Franca and

Would that be how he got slappped into an armbar and submitted by Franca? IMO, Diaz is a good fighter, but the talent at 155 is too much for him. Guida, Edgar, Griffin, Huerta, Sherk, Pellegrino, France, Penn would beat Diaz 9/10 times. Like it was said before, Diaz isn't a very srong guy and he has very limited muscle mass. Maybe he should bulk up a bit and give it a try at 170. Alvin Robinson was not a very good test for him (obviously) and I cant really say that I was impressed by Diaz's performance over Robinson. Who knows though, maybe I am wrong.
jomatty
1/28/08 8:26:21AM
pellegrino sounds about right to me. they are both coming off of nice wins. if he get someone who is as strong a wrestler as guida/griffin/edgar it will be a very tough night for him imho. i just think he needs to work on his strength. he can win off of his back against a lot of guys but if someone like guida can put him on his back at will and reverse him whenever he does get on top, it is just a recipe for a very long night, unless he catches him with a sub which i think is unlikely. he is the type of fighter i like to watch as he goes for sub after sub but i just dont think he is strong enough, or has enough pop on his feet to be a real contender at this point.

styles,
what fight vs hermes franca did you watch? what does getting caught in an armbar have to do with picking someone apart on the feet. im not saying he is as good as hermes but he did dominate that fight until the very end, which is as much a testament to hermes as to him.

Styles
1/28/08 1:31:59PM

Posted by jomatty

pellegrino sounds about right to me. they are both coming off of nice wins. if he get someone who is as strong a wrestler as guida/griffin/edgar it will be a very tough night for him imho. i just think he needs to work on his strength. he can win off of his back against a lot of guys but if someone like guida can put him on his back at will and reverse him whenever he does get on top, it is just a recipe for a very long night, unless he catches him with a sub which i think is unlikely. he is the type of fighter i like to watch as he goes for sub after sub but i just dont think he is strong enough, or has enough pop on his feet to be a real contender at this point.

styles,
what fight vs hermes franca did you watch? what does getting caught in an armbar have to do with picking someone apart on the feet. im not saying he is as good as hermes but he did dominate that fight until the very end, which is as much a testament to hermes as to him.

I was watching the same fight. Yes Diaz was getting the better stand-up. it wasn't far into the 2nd round that diaz got caught into an armbar. This was also a long time ago. There is no way that Diaz could last 1 round against Franca now... IMO
atlas777
1/28/08 1:33:45PM
I dont think he is ready he needs to fight some tougher guys he was losing handily to gamburian which means anyone with great ground skills and overwhelming strength would do fine against him, the fact that he gets taken down semi frequently means his overall stregnth could be in question i think he could beat guys with less than stellar BJJ but any really good ground guy stands a good chance against him i just dont think at this point he is good enough to break into the top 10 i highly doubt that he could beat manny again or fisher, Stevenson, Huerta, Guida, Griffin and he definetly could not beat BJ Penn or Sean Sherk
sammyd1213
1/28/08 1:40:08PM
Frank Edgar needs a fight. He would destroy Nate Diaz. Diaz will eventually become a ready to face top talent, but he isnt ready yet..
cowcatcher
1/28/08 1:46:06PM
disclaimer: im no fan of either diaz brother
with that said, every time nate gets in trouble he seems to pull out a sub. when he gets taken down hes extremely active, and he has great flexibility and subs. nates hands, although not extremely powerful, are quick enough and pretty accurate, and with the length he can be a tough guy to get inside on. i think the guy is ready for top ten competition, not to say hes a top 10 guy right now, but he could come away with some wins against some of the top guys, and hes continuing improving. if he wants out of the pan and into the fire i say give it to him and lets see where he stands, he might surprise more than a few people.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/28/08 6:43:27PM
i do think nate is ready. i would also like to see nick diaz back in the ufc. what i dont understand is how joe lauzon is fighting kenny florian. kenny is top of the food chain 155 and joe couldnt beat manny. I know joe lauzon is very good , but what justifys his chance before nate or manny.
Pookie
1/28/08 6:53:44PM

Posted by Styles

Posted by jomatty

styles,

I was watching the same fight. Yes Diaz was getting the better stand-up. it wasn't far into the 2nd round that diaz got caught into an armbar. This was also a long time ago. There is no way that Diaz could last 1 round against Franca now... IMO

It wasnt a long time ago.
It was right before the tuf 5 season started
If anything Diaz is better now than when he fought franca. While franca's skills may perhaps have grown, he hasnt shown it. He looked the same against spencer fisher as he did against Nate. And in the Sherk fight he was on his back almost the entire fight...
What makes you think that franca would take him out in less than 1?
Zekeil
1/29/08 3:05:58PM
Absolutely not ready.
He needs at least 3 or 4 more good matches before he even fights a contender.
Too inexperienced.
telnights
1/29/08 8:40:16PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Styles

Posted by jomatty

styles,

It wasnt a long time ago.
It was right before the tuf 5 season started
If anything Diaz is better now than when he fought franca. While franca's skills may perhaps have grown, he hasnt shown it. He looked the same against spencer fisher as he did against Nate. And in the Sherk fight he was on his back almost the entire fight...
What makes you think that franca would take him out in less than 1?

The fight with Franca was on 10/12/2006 that wasn't that long ago. Also Diaz has grew some since TUF and is still growing not only physically but as a fighter as well. He is just a kid and getting better everyday.
RMFG_187
1/30/08 1:54:55AM
Hes good, but i want too see him matched up with someone like Ken Flo, or Diego Sanchez too try and avenge his brother
rcg916
1/30/08 2:13:27AM

Posted by Styles

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Nate Diaz's stand up is VERY underrated. He picked apart Hermes Franca and

Would that be how he got slappped into an armbar and submitted by Franca? IMO, Diaz is a good fighter, but the talent at 155 is too much for him. Guida, Edgar, Griffin, Huerta, Sherk, Pellegrino, France, Penn would beat Diaz 9/10 times. Like it was said before, Diaz isn't a very srong guy and he has very limited muscle mass. Maybe he should bulk up a bit and give it a try at 170. Alvin Robinson was not a very good test for him (obviously) and I cant really say that I was impressed by Diaz's performance over Robinson. Who knows though, maybe I am wrong.

You must not have watched the first round, Natedawg hit it on the head... He was straight picking him apart...
fedorwins1
1/30/08 8:17:28AM
Nate has looked very good in his last couple of fights, I say give him a step up in competition like maybe Spencer Fisher or Guida. If he wins either of these fights he deserves to fight contenders and get into the title mix IMO.
Pages: [1] 2