Nate Diaz looks to move to welterweight division

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nate Diaz looks to move to welterweight division
BrutalKnockOut
1/12/10 11:05:55AM
Nate Diaz eyes move to 170lbs

Diaz says he's not being paid enough to cut the weight he is now, and looks to move to 170lbs.
emfleek
1/12/10 11:17:32AM
Add muscle, Nate.
postman
1/12/10 11:23:32AM

Posted by emfleek

Add muscle, Nate.

Yeah hes really skinny at 155 I wondered if he thought about 145 he is to small for the UFC 170 div.
Twenty20Dollars
1/12/10 11:32:33AM
It's going to be tough either way, at WW or LW. We'll see I guess...
emfleek
1/12/10 11:33:40AM
He's got plenty of time to improve. He's only 24.
Jackelope
1/12/10 11:43:16AM
If he really plans on doing this he might as well consider his career in the UFC finished. Dominant wrestlers with excellent sub D flood the WW division. Not to mention Nate doesn't have the power to KO LW's, what is he going to do against some of these 170 lb. guys where he won't enjoy the same reach advantage? Bad move IMO.

But, if he wants to then he should. I don't consider him much of a threat at LW but hopefully he'll prove me wrong and at WW
grappler0000
1/12/10 12:00:46PM

Posted by Jackelope

If he really plans on doing this he might as well consider his career in the UFC finished. Dominant wrestlers with excellent sub D flood the WW division. Not to mention Nate doesn't have the power to KO LW's, what is he going to do against some of these 170 lb. guys where he won't enjoy the same reach advantage? Bad move IMO.

But, if he wants to then he should. I don't consider him much of a threat at LW but hopefully he'll prove me wrong and at WW

I agree. And along with losing his reach advantage, the WW division has been progressively getting more heavy handed. So not only will he have to deal with well rounded wrestlers, but there are a ton of guys that he won't be bullying on the feet.

Thiago Alves
Marcus Davis
Paul Daley
Dan Hardy
Chris Lytle
Matt Brown

Just to name a few guys that will cause him to develop a new game plan.
RhythmAndStyle
1/12/10 12:01:46PM
yeah like i said bout his brother Nick..i don't see anyone of the Diaz bros makin it anywhere in the UFC..they won't be champions..or even close to comin to being a title contender in the UFC..their just fun to watch..with their cocky style..smack talk inside the ring..but i don't ever see them ranked..unless Nick wins against Whitemare..i don't think he will..but yeah like i said..their just fun to watch..and thats it,nothing more...
emfleek
1/12/10 12:07:50PM
I think both guys would benefit greatly by switching up camps. However, I don't think it'll ever happen. They're the type that "stay true" to what they know and I think, in the end, that'll hurt them.
postman
1/12/10 12:09:14PM
Alves vs Diaz would be like Brock vs Alves in terms of size lol.
Kpro
1/12/10 12:11:02PM
I'd love to see him take on Condit.
emfleek
1/12/10 12:14:42PM

Posted by postman

It's only a 3-inch difference.
tallica62
1/12/10 1:30:31PM
baaaaaad idea

1st) his showing against gray maynard....Nate is soooooooo slow (hands etc..) for a lightweight esp. It seemed like Maynard was alright on the other side of him before he noticed...but ive noticed nate to always be slow in this regard

2) too weak..like someone said, he cant even ko a LW..granted moving up in weight hell get more muscle, but those guys are too quick and strong... unless he wants to be like tamden mccory, who, whoever , is quicker than diaz

3) to save your career nate, keep workin LW...your height is a great advantage which will be mostly lost at WW..
Kpro
1/12/10 1:33:29PM
Nate out-struck Gray 49-26 over the first 2 rounds (and out-struck him in the 3rd), so he can't be that slow with his hands, unless Gray has the worst head movement in MMA.

Speed is not the issue; strength is the issue at 170.
bjj1605
1/12/10 2:04:14PM
He's even a little small for LW. He should put on some muscle and stay at LW. i was just saying yesterday that he seems to be filling out a little.
ace_of_god
1/12/10 2:25:36PM
I agree, hell I thought he won that fight against Maynard really, and since Maynard is top level in LW that puts Daiz close. I think what Daiz lacks is the ability to control where the fight takes place. He is finally developed is range in the stand up game and his BJJ has always been good, if he could develop some take-downs and take-down defence then Daiz would be a force.

I do however think he would be deciminated in a higher weight class.
BeeR
1/12/10 4:09:39PM
Nate better Jack up..........or he's gonna be a WW can until his contracts up.
marcoDGK
1/12/10 4:26:46PM
am I the only one that is excited about this? I cannot wait to see how he does! I hope they start talking about possible match ups.

I just want to see him get humbled aka knocked the eff out.
EliasG
1/12/10 6:33:34PM
He's got the frame for a lot more muscle---he's just overly skinny. This may benefit him a great deal. He has tremendous ju jitsu and he's LOONG. Remember it isn't just reach it's long arms, and long legs that will benefit him. It has to take a lot out of him to cut weight to that size all the time. I can't imagine that he walks around at 155. Seriously, he probably drops 25-30 pounds everytime he fights. This will boost his career. I bet he will get more KO power too. He'll look al ot more like his big bro...
grappler0000
1/12/10 6:57:15PM

Posted by EliasG

He's got the frame for a lot more muscle---he's just overly skinny. This may benefit him a great deal. He has tremendous ju jitsu and he's LOONG. Remember it isn't just reach it's long arms, and long legs that will benefit him. It has to take a lot out of him to cut weight to that size all the time. I can't imagine that he walks around at 155. Seriously, he probably drops 25-30 pounds everytime he fights. This will boost his career. I bet he will get more KO power too. He'll look al ot more like his big bro...

I assure you he doesn't cut that much weight. I know what 6' 185 looks like and Nate's far from it...far far from it.
Drudinh
1/14/10 1:07:14AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

It's only a 3-inch difference.

That's what she said couldn't resist.
TimW001
1/14/10 1:25:54AM
This is a bad idea for him. But what do I know, I'm just a forumer.
Wolfenstein
1/14/10 8:47:41AM
Might actully be a better move for him. If he can add some muscle--he certainly has the frame to carry the weight. I didn't think his brother would do well at 185, but he looks a lot stronger t 185--so the same could be the case for Nate.
emfleek
1/14/10 9:54:43AM

Posted by Drudinh

That's what she said couldn't resist.

My d*ck's only 2 inches!

...from the ground!