Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard To Main Event UFN 20

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard To Main Event UFN 20
DCRage
10/20/09 7:57:18PM
Although UFC Fight Night 20 still hasn't been announced yet by UFC, the January event in Virginia now has it's main event-Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard. Diaz's camp has confirmed the fight and word is Maynard will probably get a future title shot if he wins.

Article
higdon10
10/20/09 8:03:11PM
Good for Gray. He deserves a chance at a title shot.
xphycorx
10/20/09 8:05:16PM
how many fight nights has nate diaz done? it has to be like 5 after this one. he's the fight night KING!!
mshalosky
10/20/09 8:13:59PM
didnt diaz already sub him in tuf? Either way maynard by ud
xdanish020
10/20/09 8:18:07PM
Maynard gets a title shot if he wins, but Diaz doesn't?

Wallass
10/20/09 8:23:45PM
Nate lost two in a row before submitting Melvin. Even a victory over Gray would put him a couple wins away from a shot with BJ.
xdanish020
10/20/09 8:39:14PM

Posted by Wallass

Nate lost two in a row before submitting Melvin. Even a victory over Gray would put him a couple wins away from a shot with BJ.

This is true, I just think it's kinda stupid to have a matchup where only 1 person would benefit from winning. Using the logic of Nate's most recent slide in the UFC, what does a win over him really do for Gray? I know Nate beat him on the show, so that is good motivation for the fight, I just think Gray should probably get another fight before his title shot.. preferrably Sherk, Stevenson or Florian...all who have been in the title picture the past few years. Just my .02
RandyCouture
10/20/09 8:56:16PM

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by Wallass

This is true, I just think it's kinda stupid to have a matchup where only 1 person would benefit from winning. Using the logic of Nate's most recent slide in the UFC, what does a win over him really do for Gray? I know Nate beat him on the show, so that is good motivation for the fight, I just think Gray should probably get another fight before his title shot.. preferrably Sherk, Stevenson or Florian...all who have been in the title picture the past few years. Just my .02

I totally disagree I believe nate has everything to gain. Instead of feeding him another can they give him gray who's been looking top 5 imo hes been beastly and ever improving. A win over gray would push him way up in the rankings prob putting him 1 away from a title. this being said they would give him another top level compeitior instead of beating a can then having to face somebody like gray. so imo this could put him 2 win away from a shot compared to 3 if he would have to fight a can then 2 more top competitors.
xdanish020
10/20/09 9:04:46PM

Posted by RandyCouture

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by Wallass

I totally disagree I believe nate has everything to gain. Instead of feeding him another can they give him gray who's been looking top 5 imo hes been beastly and ever improving. A win over gray would push him way up in the rankings prob putting him 1 away from a title. this being said they would give him another top level compeitior instead of beating a can then having to face somebody like gray. so imo this could put him 2 win away from a shot compared to 3 if he would have to fight a can then 2 more top competitors.

Of course, this is pretty much common sense though. My point was focused more so on Gray getting a shot after defeating Nate.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/20/09 10:15:53PM
good rematch , i hope nate taps him again .
KaibaThedon
10/20/09 10:27:29PM
good rematch

i like the bully in this one
prozacnation1978
10/20/09 10:47:42PM
i don't see how u could not give gray a title shot if he wins
but if he does does that mean he would leap frog over frankie ?? for a title shot??
Twenty20Dollars
10/20/09 11:12:14PM
So diaz subbed maynard on TUF? I can't remember all the past TUF's.

Its hard for me to pick against Diaz. But Idk yet. Good fight though.
higdon10
10/20/09 11:42:10PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

but if he does does that mean he would leap frog over frankie ?? for a title shot??

Gray beat Edgar last year, I think he is already ahead of him.
DCRage
10/21/09 5:16:57AM
All I'll say now is just announce the event already and put tickets on sale, UFC! If it's at Patriot Center as rumored I'm now willing to bankrupt myself to get tickets, this is turning into a great card. And one that's actually near where I live.
Aaronno9
10/21/09 8:06:03AM
Diaz UD. Good fight.
emfleek
10/21/09 8:20:32AM
Diaz will be on his back for 3 rounds attempting sub after sub.

Gray will lay on him the entire time and hopefully get caught in a triangle.
sparky
10/21/09 10:51:19AM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by prozacnation1978

Gray beat Edgar last year, I think he is already ahead of him.

I agree completely
cj_striker
10/21/09 4:19:37PM
At first I was kind of disappointed in this match up, because I felt as if Gray should be facing someone ahead of Diaz in the LW picking order. But after looking at the top contenders after Diego if gets a little tricky as to who Gray should even face for the next #1 contender spot. Because Gray has already defeated Frankie Edgar who has defeated Sherk and Tyson (two other top five contenders), Sherk beat Tyson and Florian, and Florian beat Joe Daddy has beaten Diaz, and Tyson beat Guida who beat Diaz as well, so it's like who would deserve the match with Gray for the next #1 contender. So I guess I see why Diaz, since Diaz is the only guy to defeat Gray, even though it didn't officially count, and after Gray beats him he gets a title shot. But just looking at the top LW contenders makes who scratch your head as to who would get the next shot after Gray (if Gray does beat Diaz). I'm pretty sure I would put Edgar in the next contender match (if he defeats Pelligrino), but his opponent is the hard part, I guess Florian would be the obvious choice if he can defeat Guida, but I'm not sure just one win (even against Guida) since your last shot at the title would get you another. Stevenson has been just to up and down since he loss to B.J., even though he has only lost to Florian and Sanchez since then. Sherk got defeated by Edgar already and Griffin lost to Edgar and Sherk. I guess we'll see what happens, it would really be crazy if Gray loses to Diaz, then what?
bjj1605
10/21/09 5:06:34PM
This should be a great fight. I think Gray Maynard has improved alot since the show, but at the same time his sub defense might not be where it needs to be with a submission stud like Diaz.

I could see Gray winning it on the feet or grinding out a decision, or Nate could catch him.

Either way, good match up.
Jackelope
10/21/09 5:36:42PM
I could see people saying maybe Gray needs 1 more high profile fight in order to be #1 contender, but looking at the numbers it is very hard to deny him a shot at #1 contender status. He's 6-0 in the UFC and most wins have been over notable opponents.

Rich Clementi (Say what you will about Clementi, I still think this dude is on the brink of being a top notch fighter)
Frankie Edgar
Jim Miller
Roger Huerta

Add Nate Diaz to that list and it's hard to argue for his status. Plus, say what you will about Gray doing a LnP, but his boxing has improved tremendously. This guy is on the rise and if you're not on the bandwagon now you will be soon. He doesn't have many rungs left on the ladder before he's fighting for the top.

DCRage
10/21/09 5:39:51PM
Gray's just gotta finish. He's one of those guys who's falling into the "Okami Complex"-he's winning consistently and his gameplan works well but by not impressive enough ways to impress Dana. But like Machida, that one big finish is all it could take. But this isn't going to be easy, Nate needs this fight to turn things around.
Jackelope
10/21/09 7:17:51PM
Except Gray is almost always featured on the main card in bouts he's in. Okami is constantly shoved on the undercard
BustedKnuckle
10/21/09 9:45:47PM
Looks like a great card and an awesome main event. A TUF rematch with title implications!!! I am very uncertain of the outcome of it though. Grey has looked very impressive but he hasnt faced Diaz's level of BJJ to this point and that might be a negative as Grey loves the topposition and Diaz is very good from his back....just ask Kurt Pelligrino!!???
NatedawgThaM
10/21/09 11:29:50PM
I have high hopes for both of them and both are have great futures, but I like Diaz again in this one. I'm hoping Gray gets Sherk soon hopefully after this win or lose and hopefully Diaz if he wins can get Florian or something. But I see him winning with his good tough stand up and slick submissions. I think Gray will bully him in the 1st but I think Diaz will turn it up late and be able to squeeze this one out by decision or even a slick submision.