Nate 'The Great' Marquardt vs. Paulo Filho ----- who would win>

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Nate 'The Great' Marquardt vs. Paulo Filho ----- who would win>
ufc88
2/6/08 1:39:13PM
I think this would be a great fight and that Marquardt has the tools to hand Paulo his first loss via decision.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
Pookie
2/6/08 1:41:52PM
I would give it to Paulo based on Marquardt past perfomances against top BJJ guys (like almeida). Paulo can catch almost anyone in an armbar if the opportunity arises.
bullettdodger
2/6/08 1:42:53PM

Posted by Pookie

I would give it to Paulo based on Marquardt past perfomances against top BJJ guys (like almeida). Paulo can catch almost anyone in an armbar if the opportunity arises.

Horn isn't considered a top BJJ guy? I give it to Marquardt
tuvok500
2/6/08 1:44:10PM
Marquardt by TKO !!

Pookie
2/6/08 1:45:37PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Pookie

not anymore no...
I knew horn didnt have a chance in that fight from the get go.
xchickox
2/6/08 1:51:46PM
i'd have to go marquardt, i rate him as top 5 at 185
pv3Hpv3p
2/6/08 2:24:08PM
Filho by armbar... pretty cut and dry
Styles
2/6/08 2:27:48PM
Filho didn't impress me at all against Sonnen, I had Sonnen winning that fight clearly. Marquardt look like complete trach against Silva (but who hasn't as of yet in the UFC?) I would really like to give this one to Marquardt, but I think Filho's style would get the best of Marquardt.
rabbit915
2/6/08 3:56:28PM
I agree that he didnt look good against Sonnen but i thought that the fact that he won even though he was having a bad fight showed a lot. Id give this one to Filho.

Isnt Paulo moving up to 205 anyway?
pv3Hpv3p
2/6/08 4:03:03PM

Posted by rabbit915

I agree that he didnt look good against Sonnen but i thought that the fact that he won even though he was having a bad fight showed a lot. Id give this one to Filho.

Isnt Paulo moving up to 205 anyway?

I've heard the idea batted around for the past couple of years, but I think in all he's too short, and pretty dominant at MW... have heard that he cuts a lot thought... The only reason I see him cutting is to avoid fighting A.Silva, friend/training partner, and I don't know if that's enough to talk him into moving down
StevenSeagal
2/6/08 4:07:08PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Pookie

People are mistaken... Horn is a great instructor... there is a difference.

Paulo would eat Nate
Mayhem13
2/6/08 4:16:49PM
with as much as the weight cut is destroying Paulho I'd go with Nate by UD..

but if it was at a higher weight ....or if Paulho was able to easily make 185 still, I'd take Paulho by Sub
juanez13
2/6/08 4:21:08PM
i would go with nate, he is strong enough to control filho, and i doubt he would get caught in a sub, i would also say nate has the advantage on the feet, so i'd take marquardt in 2nd round TKO or UD..
Gipper
2/6/08 4:55:21PM
i'd go with nate. 3rd rd tko
Naturaldisaster
2/7/08 8:19:44AM
I have to take marquardt in this fight, just based on the way filho fought last, I think marquardt would GnP him for the win
cowcatcher
2/7/08 9:16:26AM
paulo should win this easily if he cuts properly. ive heard that hes moving to 205 after this fight(thats the latest news), but ive also heard that hes going to do whatever the WEC wants him to. sonnen is a good fighter and a tough challenge for anyone, but filho should beat him 9 out of 10 times despite the poor showing the last time they met.
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 9:26:52AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I have to take marquardt in this fight, just based on the way filho fought last, I think marquardt would GnP him for the win

I don't get this line of thinking... So if you take the Horn fight out of the equation... You have Nate's last fight against Anderson, in which he got smoked and Paulo's last fight against Sonnen, which he won decively...

It seems weird to me that a fighter can win a fight, and retain his belt, but still take a step back in peoples' eyes...

Nog gets beat on in a lot of his fights, and he's considered one of the best HW's in the world, I just don't get it?
zephead
2/7/08 9:48:19AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I don't get this line of thinking... So if you take the Horn fight out of the equation... You have Nate's last fight against Anderson, in which he got smoked and Paulo's last fight against Sonnen, which he won decively...

It seems weird to me that a fighter can win a fight, and retain his belt, but still take a step back in peoples' eyes...

Nog gets beat on in a lot of his fights, and he's considered one of the best HW's in the world, I just don't get it?

I wouldn't say Paulo won his last fight decisively. Chael was beating him pretty good standing and then for some reason took it down into Paulo's world. The fight I watched, Chael was killing him and then made that mistake.

Nate is just as strong as Paulo, has better standup and is alot better on the ground then Chael. I could see Nate wiining this fight
cowcatcher
2/7/08 9:51:46AM

Posted by zephead

I wouldn't say Paulo won his last fight decisively. Chael was beating him pretty good standing and then for some reason took it down into Paulo's world. The fight I watched, Chael was killing him and then made that mistake.

Nate is just as strong as Paulo, has better standup and is alot better on the ground then Chael. I could see Nate wiining this fight

ill agree that paulo didnt win decisively, but theres no way nates stronger than filho, nate does have the better standup, but the ground game is all filho.
zephead
2/7/08 10:10:29AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by zephead

ill agree that paulo didnt win decisively, but theres no way nates stronger than filho, nate does have the better standup, but the ground game is all filho.

Didn't say Nate was stronger, I said just as strong. Nates standup is better, but Nate is a hell of alot better on the ground then Chael. Nate has a better chance dictating this fight then Chael did and Chael kept it standing and then took it down. Dumb move.
cowcatcher
2/7/08 10:17:58AM
cant argue that it was stupid for sonnen to take that fight to the ground, nate looked in great shape against horn, but IMO paulo may be the strongest 185er out there right now(maybe okami).
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 12:43:20PM
i'd have to say filho because i think sonnen would beat marquardt, filho probably catches an armbar since marquardts standup is questionable