How Nasty Was That Submission?!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How Nasty Was That Submission?!
POLL: Grossest Submission Ever?
Mir/Sylvia 20% (4)
Mir/Nog 2 30% (6)
Rousey/Tate 5% (1)
Rousey/Budd 5% (1)
Aoki/Hirota 40% (8)
Other 0% (0)
jakewalters
3/5/12 5:49:43PM
Jeeeeesus Christ the Rousey/Tate fight had a nasty finish, and for me it ranks third in all the gruesome submissions I've seen.

I think the nastiest submission I've ever seen was Aoki/Hirota, followed by Mir/Nog 2. That submission on Saturday comes next though, that was really really gnarly looking. I forget off the top of my head who was reffing that fight (Matheny?) but what a horrible job. The fight was obviously over 4-5 seconds before he stopped it, and he could have saved Miesha a lot of ligament damage while Rousey cranked.

Just wondering how you guys see it as far as the fight's ranking on the all-time list of nastiest submissions. Obviously Mir/Sylvia, Rousey/Budd, Lauzon/Stephens, Hazelett/Burkman, Cantwell/Al-Hassan and many others make the list...
FastKnockout
3/5/12 6:55:19PM
Mir/Sylvia for me. Watching the "pop" in full view sent a chill down my spine.
Budgellism
3/5/12 7:07:59PM
The Aoki sub was just plain nasty.
grappler0000
3/5/12 8:16:29PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Mir/Sylvia for me. Watching the "pop" in full view sent a chill down my spine.

I still remember going WTF did he (Herb Dean if I remember correctly) stop that for...and then the replay explained everything. I give Big Tim props for wanting to continue, but that was pretty nasty.
LuckyCharms
3/5/12 10:42:47PM

Posted by Budgellism

The Aoki sub was just plain nasty.

tcunningham
3/6/12 1:36:29AM
i went with aoki. snapping that dudes arm like that was ruthless.

as for bad reffing in the tate/rousey fight, i disagree. at that level they need to leave it up to the fighters whether to tap or not, this aint some white belt BJJ tournament. tate should have tapped. if you watch the biggest BJJ tournaments in the world, the refs will let a competitor get his arm broke, because they need to know where their limit is. the reffing was fine in the rousey fight.
Budgellism
3/6/12 3:16:08PM

Posted by tcunningham

as for bad reffing in the tate/rousey fight, i disagree. at that level they need to leave it up to the fighters whether to tap or not, this aint some white belt BJJ tournament. tate should have tapped. if you watch the biggest BJJ tournaments in the world, the refs will let a competitor get his arm broke, because they need to know where their limit is. the reffing was fine in the rousey fight.

I agree
emfleek
3/6/12 3:18:54PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by tcunningham

I agree

Same. Tate was being stubborn and paid the price.

I'm still baffled that, according to her, she "didn't really train armbar defense" because she didn't "expect to be there".

Ummm...McFly!?
warglory
3/6/12 3:19:35PM
Tate/Rousey because of the slo mo replay. Oh man, that was rough to watch.
jakewalters
3/6/12 5:41:35PM

Posted by warglory

Tate/Rousey because of the slo mo replay. Oh man, that was rough to watch.

When they showed that, I couldn't help but physically contort my body in agony for Miesha. That was really brutal, I don't see her fighting again until 2013. Elbow ligament damage is hard to bounce back from quickly.

But there's something about that "pop" like you got in Mir/Nog 2 and in Aoki/Hirota. Those pops are brutal, and the fact that Hirota was face down on the mat completely helpless adds to how nasty that shit was.
bjj1605
3/6/12 9:38:38PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by tcunningham

I agree

Same. Tate was being stubborn and paid the price.

I'm still baffled that, according to her, she "didn't really train armbar defense" because she didn't "expect to be there".

Ummm...McFly!?

Honestly there's not really much "arm bar defense" to train.

Once you're caught in a submission, that's usually it. Unless the person applying it makes a mistake.

There's ways to escape but the better option is to train not getting arm-barred in the first place.

That means keeping your arms tight during escapes, keeping good posture in guard, or not letting the person get dominant positions to begin with.
Pookie
3/7/12 10:38:00PM
The angle that the arm popped in Hirota v. Aoki was one of a kind. Nastiest submission ever IMO.

But yeah, Rousey's was pretty brutal.