How many named submissions are there?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How many named submissions are there?
CWall33
3/16/07 1:42:06PM
A post by CornishMMA in this thread made me think of this question. (The post is the one about having to pick the exact method of submission in order to get points).

My question is; how many named submissions are there? We've all heard of knee-bars, arm-locks, triangles, etc. On the other hand, many of us (at least I) had never heard of the Gogo until Diaz used it on Gomi.

Are there other "exotic" submissions that rarely get used, and therefore aren't well known to most of us?
richieb19
3/16/07 1:49:39PM
There are plenty, but I'm not going to sit here and name them off because I'd leave so many out it's not even funny, plus there are already so many different names for simple submissions.
If you can think of a submission in your head, even if you think it's so inpracticle it would never work, it probably already has a name.
madmarck
3/16/07 2:15:17PM

Posted by richieb19

There are plenty, but I'm not going to sit here and name them off because I'd leave so many out it's not even funny, plus there are already so many different names for simple submissions.
If you can think of a submission in your head, even if you think it's so inpracticle it would never work, it probably already has a name.

True has for names. Right off the top of my head. Gogoplata/inverted triangle ,rear naked Choke/ Nightmare choke, Straight armlock/ Americana.

And with the basic subs you see there are many different variations. Espicall with leg locks. You can twist it or hyperextend it. there are so many leg holds. Some are harder to do with 4 oz gloves on. But i mean there are kneebar, leglock, heelhook, achilles lock, and many more.
pv3Hpv3p
3/16/07 2:19:52PM
Gator roll... See Randy vs Van Arsedayle(sp?)...

Excellent fight, good show of solid wrestling in MMA
migo
3/16/07 2:35:25PM
A number of submissions have multiple names,

Gator Roll = Anaconda Choke
Anaconda Guard = Figure 4 Guard = Triangle Guard
Anaconda Mount = Figure 4 Back Mount = Body Triangle
Back Mount with Hooks = Double Knife Leg Ride
Back Mount with 1 Hook = Single Knife Leg Ride
Double Leg Takedown = Morote Gari
Thai Clinch = Neck Clinch = Plum Clinch
Straight Armbar = Juji Gatame
Cross Body Armbar = Entangled Armbar
Kimura = Ude Garami = Keylock = Shoulder Lock = Hammer Lock = Chicken Wing = Double Wrist Lock
Americana = Ude Garami = Keylock = Top Wrist Lock
Triangle Choke = Sankaku Jime
Omoplata = Shoulder Lock
Double Armbar = Gogoplata Armbar
Shin Choke = Gogoplata Choke
Twister = Guillotine
Banana Split = Hip Lock
Lock Down = Figure 4 Half Guard
Knee Subluxation = Calf Slicer
Elbow Subluxation = Bicep Slicer
Rear Naked Choke = Lateral Neck Restraint = Sleeper Hold
Cow Hoof = Wrist Lock
Greco Roman Clinch = Under-Over
Ankle Lock = Achilles Lock
Full Mount = Saddle
Side Mount = Cross Body Control

Moves with single names:
Guillotine Choke
Elevator Sweep
Butterfly Guard
Half Butterfly Guard
Underhook
Overhook
Double Underhook
Double Overhook
Kneebar
Barknee
Double Knee Bar
Toe Hold
Heel Hook
Single Leg Takedown
Fireman's Carry
Rear Anaconda Choke
Can Opener
Half Nelson
Full Nelson
Power Half Nelson
Sit Out
Cross Face
Crucifix
Crucifix Mount
Armpit Hold

There's a ton more...
wkm311
3/16/07 4:26:55PM

Posted by migo

A number of submissions have multiple names,

Gator Roll = Anaconda Choke
Anaconda Guard = Figure 4 Guard = Triangle Guard
Anaconda Mount = Figure 4 Back Mount = Body Triangle
Back Mount with Hooks = Double Knife Leg Ride
Back Mount with 1 Hook = Single Knife Leg Ride
Double Leg Takedown = Morote Gari
Thai Clinch = Neck Clinch = Plum Clinch
Straight Armbar = Juji Gatame
Cross Body Armbar = Entangled Armbar
Kimura = Ude Garami = Keylock = Shoulder Lock = Hammer Lock = Chicken Wing = Double Wrist Lock
Americana = Ude Garami = Keylock = Top Wrist Lock
Triangle Choke = Sankaku Jime
Omoplata = Shoulder Lock
Double Armbar = Gogoplata Armbar
Shin Choke = Gogoplata Choke
Twister = Guillotine
Banana Split = Hip Lock
Lock Down = Figure 4 Half Guard
Knee Subluxation = Calf Slicer
Elbow Subluxation = Bicep Slicer
Rear Naked Choke = Lateral Neck Restraint = Sleeper Hold
Cow Hoof = Wrist Lock
Greco Roman Clinch = Under-Over
Ankle Lock = Achilles Lock
Full Mount = Saddle
Side Mount = Cross Body Control

Moves with single names:
Guillotine Choke
Elevator Sweep
Butterfly Guard
Half Butterfly Guard
Underhook
Overhook
Double Underhook
Double Overhook
Kneebar
Barknee
Double Knee Bar
Toe Hold
Heel Hook
Single Leg Takedown
Fireman's Carry
Rear Anaconda Choke
Can Opener
Half Nelson
Full Nelson
Power Half Nelson
Sit Out
Cross Face
Crucifix
Crucifix Mount
Armpit Hold

There's a ton more...

Thats already more than I can think of, how long did that take?...LOL
gimmper
3/16/07 11:10:10PM
one...it's called squeeze until they tap...where you apply it is up to you young jedi
Stickan
3/17/07 8:13:00AM
I've got a "submission" that I've thought about but still not remembered to try out at practice but in my head it seems practical. Imagine you're in mount and you're going for the traingle on top. You got lets say your right leg around his neck but instead of going for the triangle you go over to the left and sit down on his head trapping his head/neck between your thigh and your calf.
Really pressing down your weight on your heel should in my mind be enough to trap him him there and eventually choke him out but I can also imagine him being able to get away by using his both free hands. But since you still have both of your arms free you should be able to hold down at least one of his arms until he's choked out or has tapped.

Anyone know if this is actually a submission and if it does or doesn't work in practice?

btw. The bicep slicer is another cool submission
madmarck
3/17/07 1:46:58PM

Posted by Stickan

I've got a "submission" that I've thought about but still not remembered to try out at practice but in my head it seems practical. Imagine you're in mount and you're going for the traingle on top. You got lets say your right leg around his neck but instead of going for the triangle you go over to the left and sit down on his head trapping his head/neck between your thigh and your calf.
Really pressing down your weight on your heel should in my mind be enough to trap him him there and eventually choke him out but I can also imagine him being able to get away by using his both free hands. But since you still have both of your arms free you should be able to hold down at least one of his arms until he's choked out or has tapped.

Anyone know if this is actually a submission and if it does or doesn't work in practice?

Try it on a friend. And if they complain your balls are on their head, Choke em out and they wont remember
migo
3/17/07 7:23:43PM

Posted by wkm311

Thats already more than I can think of, how long did that take?...LOL

~5 minutes
migo
3/17/07 7:25:50PM

Posted by Stickan

My first thought is it won't work because you're essentially doing a calf slicer on yourself if I'm visualising it properly. I think it would also be easier for him to get his arm out or bridge/buck/roll.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/18/07 2:12:09PM
figure four leg locks?
madmarck
3/18/07 6:07:38PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

figure four leg locks?

I dont think Pro Wrestling subs are always that intense.

Some are kinda weird too. I used to always put my brother in the Sharpshooter. then irealized it didnt work. This was back int he day b4 MMA was big. And i was fairly little. So i figured i would use my leg as a platfrom to bend his leg. It essientially was a kneebar i just didnt know it. thats how much i love MMA, doing it before i even seen it.
mrsumo
3/19/07 6:20:33AM
You guys should check out Gene Lebelle's Encyclopedia of finishing holds. I got that book about 4 years ago. It covers almost every possible way of hurting another human being, and has some pretty interesting names for some of the techniques.
mrsumo
3/19/07 6:24:16AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

figure four leg locks?

Some are kinda weird too. I used to always put my brother in the Sharpshooter. then irealized it didnt work. This was back int he day b4 MMA was big. And i was fairly little. So i figured i would use my leg as a platfrom to bend his leg. It essientially was a kneebar i just didnt know it. thats how much i love MMA, doing it before i even seen it.

I have personally used two wrestling finishers quite effectively. The Camel Clutch and Benoit's Cross Face Crippler.
madmarck
3/19/07 7:03:55AM

Posted by mrsumo

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

figure four leg locks?

I have personally used two wrestling finishers quite effectively. The Camel Clutch and Benoit's Cross Face Crippler.

Well the crossface i find hurts, but it is hard to let someone do that too you. The ankle lock works well too. Not the stupid shamrock version (WWF) where you stand up and they can role out of it. The one angle had it modified to where he did it with his legs wrapped around yours preventing yuo from moving.
migo
3/21/07 2:14:40AM

Well the crossface i find hurts, but it is hard to let someone do that too you. The ankle lock works well too. Not the stupid shamrock version (WWF) where you stand up and they can role out of it. The one angle had it modified to where he did it with his legs wrapped around yours preventing yuo from moving.

Don't need to have the legs wrapped for the toe hold, I've done it just blocking one side of their body so they can't turn with it.
MethodMan
3/23/07 9:04:39AM
What about the Cobra Choke the only submission move Tito Ortiz ever pulled off in the UFC.