Munoz/Hammil

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Munoz/Hammil
milfhunter
2/22/09 8:50:24PM
I think Munoz can cause some trouble for Hammil.. Not impressed with the hammer hammil as i dont think hes improved too much since his days on the ultimate fighter.. I like Munoz as a nice underdog.. opinions welcome
JackHammerXXX
2/22/09 9:08:51PM
Dont know much bout this Munoz guy. I havent been impressed that much with Hammil either. I think the Franklin fight exposed the type of fighter Matt will be. I mean, if he was trying to test his standup, which in my opinion was extremely novice next to Rich, or if he wanted to prove he is not just a wrestler, but his lack of takedowns, lack of attempts, I mean he abandoned his wrestling, his bread and butter, in the biggest fight he has had, aside from the Bisping one.
So to me, I picked Matt, but am really intrigued by the underdog bonus on Munoz for this. I was hoping we'd see some debates, and focus on this fight, so if anyone has more insight it would be nice.
milfhunter
2/22/09 9:24:58PM
Munuz is a 2time national div1 ncaa champ so hes no slouch on the ground.. think i'll take my chances with his standup over hammils..
lohmann
2/22/09 9:31:20PM
Matt Hamill has yet to make a statement during his tenure with the UFC, and Zuffa threw him the chance with Reese Andy after his disappointing losses to Franklin and Bisping and instantly forgettable fight with Tim Boetsch. They may be trying to do that again with Munoz, but it's such an obvious mistake if they are. Two good wrestlers probably means a cautious stand-up fight, and I think Hamill has enough experience standing up to take this one.

Hamill may take note to keep this as far from the mat as possible. With a Division I National title, the two-time All-American, albeit in possession of limited MMA experience, may be too much for Hamill to handle.
JackHammerXXX
2/22/09 9:42:46PM
I wanna say Hammil will have the advantage in the wrestling department, but if he indeed decides not to mess with that, with this guy, then standing up, he's a jab cross, forward pressing, one dimensional guy.
Now, if this Munoz guy isn't all that in the standup game, then it will be a slow paced, uneventful fight. Now, do we think that this will go straight to decision, hometown Hammil has a nod? I don't know, maybe since the lack of 'UFC' experience, Munoz won't put it together, and Matt won't want to disappoint his fans, so he will come to bang, I don't think Hammil will be finished, (the Franklin fight was a case of student not wanting to attack teacher, brother not wanting to hurt brother, friend not wanting to finish friend type of performance from Matt, he looked like a pup in there) and I believe he can, and probably will take this one.
higdon10
2/22/09 10:16:09PM
I'm picking Hammill but Munoz is a very dangerous opponent.
EvenFlow
2/22/09 10:21:48PM
Munoz is untested but could win, I think there throwing him to the lions. Matt is going to have the wrestling advantage based on his size and MMA experience imo and will probably win with GnP after a mostly standup fight.
Franklinfan47
2/22/09 11:27:29PM
I think Munoz is overated at this point. He has some wins over unknown guys in the WEC but Hamill has faced, and beaten, much tougher opponents. Munoz wont have the wrestling advantage he usually has either. I think this is actually quite a mismatch. Hamill should pound him out at some point.
Twenty20Dollars
2/22/09 11:44:25PM
Keep your effing hands up hamill!!!!!!!!!! I yell this everytime he fights, because its like he's asking for people to knock him out.

Hamill wins a decision with some takedowns and striking. If matt does get rocked he will just take munoz down. 30-27 or 29-28 UD.
jiujitsufreak74
2/22/09 11:50:16PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

.If matt does get rocked he will just take munoz down.

check on Munoz's wrestling one more time...i think you may rethink that statement
bojangalz
2/23/09 12:31:14AM
When you boil this match down to it's essence- It's just two wrestlers who by and large have pretty equal skill as it relates to MMA. I can't speak to Munoz striking game; but Hammil showed some vastly improved boxing and work the body VERY effectively in te Reese Andy fight. I think that will be the difference in the fight.

As long as he can keep his hands up for 3 rounds, I'm pretty sure he's safe.
tmas
2/23/09 8:50:23AM
i considerded picking Munoz, but after breaking it down he isnt gonna win.

DCRage
2/23/09 9:53:02AM
Munoz is a good wrestler and he did well in WEC, but I have to stay solidly behind my boy Hamill.
Twenty20Dollars
2/23/09 10:29:13AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

check on Munoz's wrestling one more time...i think you may rethink that statement

I wont, if tito believes in hamill then I believe in hamill.
wiggum
2/23/09 10:31:38AM
its the same old addegage: when you got two fighters that are top notch in the same area, then the fight usually plays out were they are the weakest.....in this case, the feet......personally, after watching a couple of munozs fights, i think hes wrestling will not be good enough to do anything against hamill in a mma setting....both theyre striking is subpar, but hamill is better on a technical level...they both are pretty powerful....hamills chin has been tested and passed, were as munozs hasnt been tested.....hamill has faced better opposition than munoz and for a longer period of time...and i also think munoz could make 185 so i see hamill being the bigger fighter....all signs point to a hamill win either by decision (most likely) or by late fight stoppage
jiujitsufreak74
2/23/09 3:48:07PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I wont, if tito believes in hamill then I believe in hamill.

i'm sorry to ask this but was that a joke?
Twenty20Dollars
2/23/09 4:32:46PM
haha i dont even know. Im guessing not.

But hamill by decision, he wont take down munoz he will just stand there and trade.
Playground_Samurai
2/23/09 5:18:38PM

Posted by lohmann

Matt Hamill has yet to make a statement during his tenure with the UFC, and Zuffa threw him the chance with Reese Andy after his disappointing losses to Franklin and Bisping and instantly forgettable fight with Tim Boetsch.

I think he looked great against Andy in the second round, he should have gotten the decision against Bisping, and I also enjoyed his fight with Boetsch and thought he looked great in the performance. Why do you say that fight was instantly forgettable?

I'll be going with Hamill by TKO stoppage, i'm not sure in which round. Munoz is definatly game, and although I believe Matt has the better all around skill set anyways, i'm really picking him based on experience.
lohmann
2/24/09 1:47:25AM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by lohmann

Matt Hamill has yet to make a statement during his tenure with the UFC, and Zuffa threw him the chance with Reese Andy after his disappointing losses to Franklin and Bisping and instantly forgettable fight with Tim Boetsch.

I think he looked great against Andy in the second round, he should have gotten the decision against Bisping, and I also enjoyed his fight with Boetsch and thought he looked great in the performance. Why do you say that fight was instantly forgettable?

I'll be going with Hamill by TKO stoppage, i'm not sure in which round. Munoz is definatly game, and although I believe Matt has the better all around skill set anyways, i'm really picking him based on experience.

He looked great against Andy late because Andy was running on empty in the second round, and I'm in the minority that thinks Bisping beat him (because of the way judging works).

There are a few reasons that I was disappointed the Boetsch fight: Hamill should have been able to outclass him standing, but spent the entirety of the fight looking for a power shot to connect (as did Boetsch); Boetsch suffered from the same effect Andy suffered from in his fight which made it fairly easy for Hamill to kill that takedown attempt in the second he made that led to the finish; and probably most importantly I was looking forward to a fight with Bonnar for about a month.

That being said, I'm still picking Hamill against Munoz.
jakeiceman
2/24/09 7:04:50AM

Keep your effing hands up hamill!!!!!!!!!! I yell this everytime he fights

Why? He can't hear you....... Sorry I had to.

I have alot of respect for Hammil, and I think he has vastly improved from his time on TUF. He is still rough around the edges especially in the striking department but in my opinion he is a fast learner and seems to be a hard worker. I think there are still big things for Hammil in the future.

As far as picking the fight I wont even offer my opinion because I have been horrible this season but I will most likely pick Hamil.