munoz vs hamil

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » munoz vs hamil
mikevolz
3/5/09 7:52:32AM
on here hamil is at -440, and we have picked him to win 90% of the time.

on bodog hamil is at -170 (meaning if he wins more than ~62% of the time this fight happens it's a good bet)

i see munoz as an undersized wrestler, with sub-par transition skills from striking to wrestling, and not very technical ground and pound, and poor stand up.

yet he is favored more than reese andy (hamil was -300 against)

why is this?
Solidus
3/5/09 12:22:02PM
Good question.

I see Hamill having trouble with a good striker not another wrestler, even one of Munoz's caliber.
cowcatcher
3/5/09 12:28:45PM
andy had more mma experience and had more tv time in the IFL so he was more of a known commodity than munoz, thats the reasoning there im guessing.
mikevolz
3/5/09 12:49:40PM

Posted by cowcatcher

andy had more mma experience and had more tv time in the IFL so he was more of a known commodity than munoz, thats the reasoning there im guessing.

andy was favored less than munoz.
cowcatcher
3/5/09 12:53:35PM
oh i misread it, i guess it must be his wrestling pedigree then, otherwise i dont have a clue.
ncordless
3/5/09 12:53:47PM
My guess is that people are betting on the fact that Munoz is a more decorated wrestler than Matt. Add to that the fact that Matt didn't look too good his last couple outings and that Munoz absolutely skunked his last opponent in the WEC.
mikevolz
3/5/09 12:57:46PM

Posted by ncordless

My guess is that people are betting on the fact that Munoz is a more decorated wrestler than Matt. Add to that the fact that Matt didn't look too good his last couple outings and that Munoz absolutely skunked his last opponent in the WEC.

well his last fight in the wec was against a virtually pure striker, and in my mind munoz G'n'P looked athletic, but lacking technique. it was like he threw bombs from afar and got lucky.

i just see it as munoz being an undersized 205er with a wrestling background going against hamil, who is a fairly big 205er,

im just wondering why the odds are like this, as i like to compare the odds and picks on this site with gambling ones (taking this site as an opinion of an educated mma fan and the odds on a site as the odds of a more casual fan)
Boo_Radley21
3/5/09 1:09:36PM
I'm definitely taking Hammil to win this fight.
higdon10
3/5/09 10:11:08PM
I think that Hammill is the superior fighter,
Pookie
3/5/09 10:26:25PM
i think its because hammill has gained a reputation for not going for takedowns to instead test his stand-up. I think this is a misinterperetation of hammills fighting style.

Hammill does his best when hes able to close the gap and intertwine his bear strength with dirty boxing. Being able to physically impose his will on his opponents with his suffocating strength.

He uses his wrestling differently than the standard Shoot-in style most fighters employ. And thats why i think alot of people dont think he utilizes his wrestling enough.

I hope that was a coherant post.