Munoz out at UFC on Fox 2. Bisping to fight Sonnen

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Munoz out at UFC on Fox 2. Bisping to fight Sonnen
Next Page »
ChrisSabal
1/17/12 5:07:28PM
According to Dana White's Twitter Munoz is injured and out of the FOX fight! Now it's Chael Sonnen vs Mike Bisping jan 28th and the winner will fight Anderson for the title.

Dana White's Twitter
airkerma
1/17/12 5:10:18PM
damn that was one of my most anticipated fights. I never thought I would catch myself saying it but WAR sonnen
Hendo67
1/17/12 5:13:15PM
YES! I'll be drinking full force to Sonnen this night! - WAR CHAEL!
jae_1833
1/17/12 5:14:25PM
The two most hated middle weights going at it......I smell a quick and easy pay day for Chael.
postman
1/17/12 5:16:34PM
Bisping Well thats one way to get the rematch I guess.
Bubbles
1/17/12 5:20:40PM
i was just about to post this. while most people here hate both, i am one of the rare breed who actually likes both fighters.

that being said, Sonnen is the best bet to beat Silva of the 2 so i will be rooting for him.

LET THE TRASH TALK BEGIN
Kpro
1/17/12 5:27:20PM
From a year ago, but still funny. Email Chael sent to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva.

Joe:

If you get a chance to talk with him, please mention to your idiot-in-residence Michael Spitsbing it’ll be a little tougher to knee ME in the head when I’m charging at him like a runaway train and mincing him through the fence like a boiled potato, should we ever have the pleasure of each other’s company for a few (VERY few) moments in the Octagon.

Oh; and I’d suggest to him being a little careful about spitting on any of MY cornermen, since any one of them can beat him up as badly as I can. Thanks ever so much.
Hope all is well.

-Chael Sonnen

LINK
Budgellism
1/17/12 5:28:20PM
Maia verses Palhares!
isk
1/17/12 5:34:36PM
Sonnen's wrestling isn't just among the best at 185 - it's among the best in any division, in any organization. His combination of heavy GnP and effective control is rare, and his ability to pass guard is even scarier considering his recent work with submissions.

Bisping, however, is one of the best at 185 when it comes to defensive BJJ. I doubt he'll sneak in an armbar here, and his frame isn't quite suited for a triangle, but he has solid wrist control and persistent scrambling with excellent cage awareness.

On the feet, I think Chael could hang and wouldn't get picked apart too badly, and he may be able to land some big bombs. The percentages are with takedowns here, but he'd send a clear message if he stood up with Bisping and outboxed an accurate volume striker.

This fight is made for 5 rounds, not the least of which that both of these guys tend to come in with great cardio.

Frankly I thought Munoz would've gotten outworked and generally tooled, and if Chael comes in as he did against Stann I think he'll take a grinding, competitive decision here. But I'm a lot more interested in the card now, and an upset would unquestionably be Bisping's biggest win to date - right before Anderson kicks his head off, but hey!
Twenty20Dollars
1/17/12 5:45:07PM
We haven't seen Bisping be held down, like I think Chael might be able to do.

Interesting. Sucks for Munoz though, injury bug is hitting hard lately.

Wonder if Maia gets an opponent on 10 days notice.
prophecy033
1/17/12 5:46:38PM
Bisping is gonna get smashed

This shit talk should be classic
prophecy033
1/17/12 5:48:40PM

Posted by Budgellism

Maia verses Palhares!

oh boy, this would be a sweet match-up
BuffaloDave
1/17/12 5:53:33PM

Posted by Budgellism

Maia verses Palhares!

Hell Yes!! Palhares is the perfect choice to replace Bisping. Palhares needs a step up in competition and Maia needs an opponent.
Rabi
1/17/12 6:05:42PM

Posted by Bubbles

i was just about to post this. while most people here hate both, i am one of the rare breed who actually likes both fighters.

that being said, Sonnen is the best bet to beat Silva of the 2 so i will be rooting for him.

LET THE TRASH TALK BEGIN

I'm with you, I like both of these fighters as well.
Lesnar1
1/17/12 6:11:02PM
WoW! sucks for Munoz, but I would pay to see Bisping get slammed on his head. Sonnen will dominate Bisping with his wrestling. Maia v Palhares sounds good to me would love! to see that.
cowcatcher
1/17/12 6:39:50PM
It's too bad it's on short notice because this could have been the greatest pre-event trash talk ever. Shit, it will probably still be top 5.

I'd love to see the two premier BJJ MW's in the UFC go at it too, but I don't know that Paul Harris could make weight again on such a quick turnaround. I'm hoping he can and will though, him vs Maia is on my list of fights I want to see.
KungFuMaster
1/17/12 6:42:32PM
I was looking forward to Sonnen vs Munoz simply because I think Sonnen will bring out the best in Munoz.

Sonnen vs Bisping will be fun, but we already know how that fight will end.
Kpro
1/17/12 6:47:12PM
put it in the UFC forum thread, but might as well here as well.

Ed Herman has been outspoken about wanting to rematch Maia and he's scheduled to face Starks one week after Maia's scrapped fight. He may jump at the chance to move up a week to get a rematch he wants, if asked.
cowcatcher
1/17/12 6:51:28PM

Posted by Kpro

Ed Herman has been outspoken about wanting to rematch Maia and he's scheduled to face Starks one week after Maia's scrapped fight. He may jump at the chance to move up a week to get a rematch he wants, if asked.

I saw that, and it's not a bad call on you part. I'm just not sure the UFC will want Herman taking a main card spot with all the down time he had up until his last fight.
Kpro
1/17/12 6:52:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Kpro

I saw that, and it's not a bad call on you part. I'm just not sure the UFC will want Herman taking a main card spot with all the down time he had up until his last fight.

Herman/Starks is main card

I know, I was surprised too.
cowcatcher
1/17/12 6:53:06PM
Then I take that back. Wow, that's surprising.
Adrenaline
1/17/12 8:03:59PM
This is beyond awesome

Its a shame there is not more of a lead up to this fight but its probably a good thing for Bisping. I can only imagine how much Sonnen could screw with his mind if he had the proper time to do so. I hope he trashes Bisping every second of every day leading up to the fight and then dominates him in a humbling fashion.

That being said, if Bisping can win this, I don't know how you don't give him respect. I mean it would make me gag constantly to do so but you never know. Bisping has solid JJ and TDD defense but Chael is an entirely different breed of animal. He applies constant pressure and goes after TD's like a man possessed. I just don't see Bisping being able to stop it consistently and he uses his JJ more defensively and lacks real power to stop the fight. His best bet is to stuff the TD and outpoint Chael on the feet. That's a tall order.

Either way, its a win win. If Chael wins we get the most anticipated rematch ever and if Bisping manages to win we get to see Silva go toy with Bisping enroute to some crazy finish.

ncordless
1/17/12 8:06:41PM
I may be in the minority, but I think this is good news for Sonnen and anyone who wants to see Silva/Sonnen 2.. That match with Munoz was a time bomb of a style match for Sonnen.
Kpro
1/17/12 8:08:52PM

Posted by Adrenaline

If Chael wins we get the most anticipated rematch ever

I don't know, Tito/Shamrock 3 was preeeeeeetty anticipated.
ChokeUout
1/17/12 9:44:08PM
Agree on Tito/Ken 3...I was REALLY convinced Ken could do it the 3rd time after getting smashed the first two times, haha

THe only cases I can make for bisping is that he has decent takedown defense (although he IS facing Sonnen) and Sonnen is vulnerable to anyone who knows what a Triangle is. Whether or not Bisping knows what one is or not remains to be seen.

I don't see either one knocking the other out. The only chance for a stoppage is Chael finishing it from the top, and Bisping has showed decent enough offence from his back (albeit very little defence). However, Given the fact that the Stann fight was the first finsih for Sonnen in about 5 years, I doubt lightning will strike twice with a year span.

Sonnen via a Ground-and-pound decision that will feature very few reasons to watch it a second time
tallica62
1/17/12 10:15:14PM
wow...awesome...I not a big fan of Sonnen - but CRUSH bisping
bjj1605
1/18/12 1:26:13AM
I'm pretty disappointed.

I'll be at this event and I've been telling everyone that Munoz could beat Sonnen before they were even slotted to face each other.

I'm pretty positive that Sonnen can beat Bisping. But Bisping does have good TDD and a decent guard. The fight will be fun because either way a fighter I dislike is going to lose.

At least Bisping is getting tested for once.

I'm pretty loathe to say it but...I might actually be rooting for Sonnen.

Twilight zone anyone??
Adrenaline
1/18/12 1:48:11AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Adrenaline

If Chael wins we get the most anticipated rematch ever

I don't know, Tito/Shamrock 3 was preeeeeeetty anticipated.

Good call, everyone wanted to know if Ken could finally beat Tito into a "living death"
BigBadAl
1/18/12 4:15:35AM
Sonnen has to be favourite here but Rashad didn't exactly dominate Bisping with his wrestling at 205 so who knows?
LightsOUT23
1/18/12 7:05:03AM
Do not sleep on Bisping you guys, I have no doubt Sonnen will take him down, but Bispings ground defence is awesome. I will call it now, Bisping Submits Sonnen for upset of the year.
Pages: [1] 2