Muhammad Ali V Antonio Inoki in a MMA Fight (kind of) in 1976

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Muhammad Ali V Antonio Inoki in a MMA Fight (kind of) in 1976
tomp6581
3/16/07 9:20:58AM
LINK

I apologise if people have seen this before but I saw this on you tube yesterday and thought it was great! Here is a bit of the background to the fight....

"Inoki initially promised Ali a worked match to get him to fight in Japan, when the deal materialized Ali's camp feared that Inoki would turn the fight into a shoot, which many believe was Inoki's intention. Ali visited a professional wrestling match involving Inoki and witnessed Inoki's grappling ability. This led Ali's camp to restrict the fight to striking rules only, with grappling disallowed.

In the match, Ali landed a total of six punches to Inoki and Inoki kept to his back in a defensive position almost the full duration of the match, hitting Ali with a low kick repeatedly. The bout ended in a draw, 3-3. Ali left without a press conference and suffered damage to his legs as a result of Inoki's repeated leg kicks."

madmarck
3/16/07 9:24:46AM

Posted by tomp6581

LINK

I apologise if people have seen this before but I saw this on you tube yesterday and thought it was great! Here is a bit of the background to the fight....

"Inoki initially promised Ali a worked match to get him to fight in Japan, when the deal materialized Ali's camp feared that Inoki would turn the fight into a shoot, which many believe was Inoki's intention. Ali visited a professional wrestling match involving Inoki and witnessed Inoki's grappling ability. This led Ali's camp to restrict the fight to striking rules only, with grappling disallowed.

In the match, Ali landed a total of six punches to Inoki and Inoki kept to his back in a defensive position almost the full duration of the match, hitting Ali with a low kick repeatedly. The bout ended in a draw, 3-3. Ali left without a press conference and suffered damage to his legs as a result of Inoki's repeated leg kicks."

Cool. Sounds pretty lame that Ali only threw 3 punches. If grappling was disallowed you would think he wouldnt fear the kicsk thta much. If he had been agressive he mightnt have had so many kicks to his leg.If a fighter doesnt push another can sit back and kick the legs out from under him. Boxers tend to keep their hands high and not know shit about defending leg kicks.
EEKS
3/18/07 11:08:10AM
Nice, i also just saw this the other day, so i guess we can call Ali one of the early pioneers of mma.
warglory
3/19/07 10:40:11PM
This match would be a good example of the limitations of boxing, even in an open striking bout with zero grappling allowed. Granted Inoki could be perceived by the boxing community as being too-cautious or even cowardly, but he had a gameplan and it worked. He realistically should have won this match considering Ali landed absolutely no offensive maneuvers and succumbed to several leg attacks.
Svartorm
3/19/07 11:59:33PM
Supposedly Ali was supposed to fight some kind of Kung-Fu champion a few weeks before this in a similar set-up, but the Kung-Fu guy actually went and watched Ali train in person, and immediately backed out of the fight.
pv3Hpv3p
3/20/07 4:48:11PM

Posted by Svartorm

Supposedly Ali was supposed to fight some kind of Kung-Fu champion a few weeks before this in a similar set-up, but the Kung-Fu guy actually went and watched Ali train in person, and immediately backed out of the fight.

IMO, probably a good choice for the kung fu guy
Ydoc
3/20/07 5:59:44PM

Posted by Svartorm

No, the Kung-Fu guy opted to fight some Sumo guy instead.

I think warglory has a good point, even with such strict limits in what he could do Inoki still did the better job. Becoming a complete fighter is way more important than learning everything you can about one fighting style.
randyleprechaun
3/21/07 5:58:15PM
It was an infamous fight, that really should never have happened.

Just shows how young this sport is!