Who is Muhammad Ali Of The UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who is Muhammad Ali Of The UFC?
martinej
5/16/12 2:31:49PM

Watch this exciting video to find out which world champion of MMA is the Muhammad Ali of the UFC. The answer will shock you!

Who is Muhammad Ali of the UFC?
Poor_Franklin
5/16/12 2:40:14PM

Posted by martinej

The answer will shock you!

i was not shocked.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/16/12 3:17:10PM
Yeah, I have zero idea as to why that was "shocking" in any way. Aside from the UFC selling Jones to the casual fan as an unstoppable juggernaut, the hardcore fans realize he is going to be a legitimately difficult nut to crack.

There's absolutely nothing shocking about this on any level that I can think of.
Chael_Sonnen
5/16/12 3:25:37PM
Best Selling Author/Gangster/World Champion......
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
KungFuMaster
5/16/12 4:28:35PM
The first name that came into my head was actually Chael Sonnen. Ali was better known for his persona rather than his boxing IMO.
TeamDEY
5/16/12 4:53:09PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Honestly there is no comparison. There will never be a Muhammad Ali of the UFC. If there was one (which there is not) I would say Sonnen is the closest to it.
casketcoin
5/16/12 6:14:35PM
David " The Crow" Loiseau
shaneTpain
5/16/12 6:51:40PM
Mark Coleman
Pookie
5/16/12 7:00:11PM
Mark Hunt
tcunningham
5/17/12 12:04:54AM
as for fighting, its got to be either andy or jones. when it comes to character it has to be sonnen.
Pookie
5/17/12 1:17:15AM
I thought the way Anderson beat Chael was reminiscent to the rope-and-dope strategy.
lohmann
5/17/12 3:39:58AM
Professional boxing has been around for over a hundred years; MMA gained its first regulations only eleven years ago. There needs to be a sense of perspective here; mixed martial arts barely has a history whereas boxing has a storied past. People used to attend silent cinemas to watch this stuff. For that reason, fight fans should relax and remember that even though Anderson Silva is the current GOAT and Jon Jones is the future GOAT, these things are going to quite ephemeral considering that the textbook on MMA is barely into its second chapter.

Jon Jones is a super-athlete that may amass a great record starting at such a young age, so that means he must be the Muhammad Ali of the UFC? There a dozen boxers that fit that rubric but singling out Ali connotes more than just sports achievement.

Ali was a controversial cultural icon that used his stature in boxing to draw attention to the political counterculture. Ali may be the most recognizable athlete, not just boxer, of the twentieth century and it is not just because he is one of the greatest heavyweights to ever don some gloves.

Personally, I would have been a little less hyperbolic and probably compared Jones to maybe a future Willie Pep.
BuffaloDave
5/17/12 10:35:11AM

Posted by martinej

The answer will shock you!

People will say anything to get you to click on their link.
ghandikush
5/17/12 10:48:46AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Author and gangster yes.
Boo_Radley21
5/17/12 11:08:53AM
I wonder who the Roger Federer of the UFC is
Pookie
5/17/12 3:01:15PM

Posted by lohmann

Personally, I would have been a little less hyperbolic and probably compared Jones to maybe a future Willie Pep.

I feel inclined to say Jones reminds me alot of George Foreman. Not in personality, but in circumstance and dominance in the ring.
postman
5/17/12 8:08:35PM
This dude clearly has no clue what he is talking about. I mean jones wasn't an olympic champ nothing even close. There is no controversy over the mafia fixing his title fights as there is with both liston fights. He has yet to be stripped of a title due to dogging a draft. He has not made public appearances with prominent civil rights leaders. He hasn't even changed his name or converted to islam. Ali was a unique character in history that made bold choices in a time that the political atmosphere was far differnet then anything we see now.