Muai thai or BJJ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Muai thai or BJJ
Next Page »
KeNn
11/12/07 10:57:06PM
Hey I'm new around here, My names Ken.
I have 2yrs of boxing experience, but quit about a year ago.

I'm looking to get in the mma game, I'm 16 yrs old 5'9 170.

My question to you is, for a smaller guy that's looking to join mma,
would you prepfer BJJ or Muai thai? I am really interested in both.
I do like standing toe to toe, but I am really intrigued with submissions, and ground game.

thanks!
cmill21
11/12/07 11:33:32PM
Do both, your not that small, you could make the cut to 155, and be a larger LW. I say do both.
KeNn
11/12/07 11:47:24PM
I'd love to do both, but seeing as I have no experience in neither.
it might be a little overwhelming to take in both arts. On-top of that I'm a full time construction worker. lol yes I'm an idiot who dropped out when I'm 16.

I'm quite out of shape now, being "green" going into martial arts.
is there anything I should be aware of before joining? I am looking to compete, but keep my full-time job also. I understand you get alot of guys asking these kind of questions, So I appreciate you guys for your replies.
postman
11/12/07 11:57:49PM
Find a camp that will teach you MMA not just one part. If you like it, your only problem will be deciding what you want to be tought that day If you have to pick one I would say BJJ since you already have some stand up. But if you want to be a top fighter it will take you training in everything and working full time to get there. Good Luck!!!!!
loller90278
11/13/07 12:28:10AM
don't worry about MMA. get your ass back to school and get a damn education.

if you're in california, think about taking the CHSPE (california high school proficiency exam) www.chspe.net

some other states might have the same test but im unaware of them.

at least get your diploma from high school or even a GED.

dropping out of school may well be the worst possible decision one ever makes!
Mastodon2
11/13/07 2:30:04AM
Yeah, I know drop outs who never did their GCSEs, never got onto A levels, and will never have the oppertunity to do a degree course. Some of them didn't even get apprenticeships.

Get your ass back to school man! I know its hard to look at the long term at 16, but in all honesty you probably arent going to be anything special at MMA, and its always good to have some qualifications to fall back on!

Edit: Oh yeah, its "Muay Thai" too!
KeNn
11/13/07 7:58:57AM
Idealy I should go back to school, but I live good. I make enough money to support myself and then some. As for the fall back, I will be taking correspondents starting next summer.

See the thing is, I don't think anyone around me here offers MMA classes,
and in MMA classes do they teach you all aspects of fighting? As apose to one martial art?
Mastodon2
11/13/07 12:18:18PM

Posted by KeNn

Idealy I should go back to school, but I live good. I make enough money to support myself and then some. As for the fall back, I will be taking correspondents starting next summer.

and in MMA classes do they teach you all aspects of fighting? As apose to one martial art?

The benefit of MMA classes is they teach you to put it all together. The downside of MMA classes is that, at least as far as I've seen from striking, and this could well hold up in their other aspects, is that they dont teach striking all that well. Particularly "Muay Thai", as they call it, which they teach in their gyms, is terribly basic and watered down. I cant speak for the wrestling and BBJ, but chances are you will learn each discipline better in a dedicated school. Imo, the best way to go, at least in the earlier days when you are learning the various skills nessacary for MMA, is to learn them, if possible, in dedicated schools, and then use MMA classes to integrate them.

cmill21
11/13/07 12:41:41PM
Just take them both, they're not everyday unless you want them to be. Then if your really getting into it and you want to make a career out of it find a camp.
bayonetxwork
11/13/07 2:50:13PM

Posted by KeNn

I'd definitely take MMA classes over individual classes. They teach you all aspects of the game, but more importantly, the correct transitions between different techniques, and that makes such an incredible difference when you actual get out there and fight/spar/whatever. You see some guys with great BJJ, but they lack the transitional skills to get from the long range striking, into the clinch/shooting safely.
fedorwins1
11/13/07 5:03:23PM
Take an MMA class, if there is none than do BJJ.
KeNn
11/13/07 6:50:31PM
Thanks for the help guys.
Now if theres any boxers in here, how are the works outs in comparison to boxing work outs?
harder? easier? I've gotten quite a bit out of shape while taking my break.
KeNn
11/13/07 7:05:38PM
P.S cmill21
I see your from Regina, small world.

Do you know of a respectible place that offers an MMA program here in Regina?
atlas777
11/14/07 1:39:56PM
id say go for the overall mma classes they teach you everything and help you put it together, if you cant find that take them both and if you can only do one try them both first and find out which one you would rather do.
Djbb
11/14/07 5:09:39PM

Posted by KeNn

Thanks for the help guys.
Now if theres any boxers in here, how are the works outs in comparison to boxing work outs?
harder? easier? I've gotten quite a bit out of shape while taking my break.

Thats a really difficult question. It all boils down to how dedicated you are and how much you decide to push yourself. I took boxing and Tae Kwan Do, and I can say that throwing 300 jabs at your shadow is pretty much as physically demanding as throwing 300 kicks at your shadow. Although I'll say that boxing requires a shitload more cardio because you need the stamina for a worst case scenario 12 round fight, and while having never trained in BJJ I'd imagine that a style focused on ground submissions does not require as much stamina as boxing.
KeNn
11/14/07 7:52:02PM
Thank you guys for your comments!
I appreciate all your assistance.

I emailed the guys at the dojo about mma classes, so i'm just awaiting a reply.
if not Friday i'm going down there anyways, and am going to try take both of them,
until I can find a MMA class to help me merge the two together.

P.S- Boxing had great cardio workouts, I am still going to train my cardio 3 times a week, I believe in any sport to win you have to be able to go faster and at more of a steady pace right threw the fight/game. Another bad, over the summer I really put on some weight, and I took up smoking again. Just today I said this would be my last one. So we'll see how it goes.

Once again thanks boys,
and if any one reccomends a good MMA course offered in Regina, SK Canada.
Please do post in here or msg me!
bayonetxwork
11/14/07 8:43:37PM
I just did a quick search, and found this place called IFC Martial Arts. Although I couldn't find their personal site, I found their information on a directory site:

IFC Martial Arts / Close Quarter Combat Academy
2132 Dewdney Ave
Regina, SK S4R 5M2
(306) 347-8029

IFC Martial Arts- Close Quarter Combat Academy Regina Sakatchewan NSI combatives/ JKD concepts/Renegade JKD Modern Arnis/ Jun Fan Kickboxing/ kune Tao/ mixed grappling-ju-jitsu/Sambo available for group classes seminars, and private personal training. specilized programs for civilian/law-enforcement and military personnel.

Sounds like they have a good array of arts, but I'm not familiar with you're area so I have no clue where that is in correlation to where you're at. Might as well give it a try though.
KeNn
11/15/07 8:24:09AM
Hey thanks alot for the search man!

I have never even heard of IFC, but I'll check it out.
Here is the website ink where I was going to train mai thai/BJJ

www.reginamartialarts.com

but off to work I go, steel doesn't put itself up.
bayonetxwork
11/15/07 5:30:47PM

Posted by KeNn

Hey thanks alot for the search man!

I have never even heard of IFC, but I'll check it out.
Here is the website ink where I was going to train mai thai/BJJ

www.reginamartialarts.com

but off to work I go, steel doesn't put itself up.

Just did a search on the instructors, and so far so good. The BJJ instructor Jeff Wiley, is the only BJJ black belt in you're area, and he's the trainer at regina martial arts. The thai instructor Craig Moser trains/trained under Fairtex's center, so he's probably decent to good coach. The facility looks nice, I'd definitely check it out if I where you.
cmill21
11/15/07 6:33:23PM
Holy shit didn't even see your from regina! Graduate man, I will sparr with you whenver you want. I also have a good friend who is in BJJ, he enjoys it, I beleive he's at RMA.
KeNn
11/15/07 7:27:55PM
Jeff Wiley looks like good shit.
and craige moser I seen him training at fairtex on you tube.

thanks for the research, and giving me a supporting decision on these guys.

and P.S mills- Yeah for sure, I'd sparr with you anytime to man!
Where do you train?
cmill21
11/15/07 8:16:25PM

Posted by KeNn

Jeff Wiley looks like good shit.
and craige moser I seen him training at fairtex on you tube.

thanks for the research, and giving me a supporting decision on these guys.

and P.S mills- Yeah for sure, I'd sparr with you anytime to man!
Where do you train?

Lots of places, most of the time I train at the RCMP. PM me anytime. I have trained at flying eagle before, and it's pretty intense, I would definetly pick up a bag from can tire, and kick box for a few weeks before jumpin in there. I would love to train there everyday but I do not have time so I train alot at home, or on base when i'm there.
KeNn
11/15/07 10:50:42PM
Yeah I picked up a mma bag, and a heavy bag.

I also have a speed bag, I basically have it all set up in my garage.
lol i'm joining jujitsu tommorow, I'm going to pay and such.

I am going to join kickboxing/mauy thai as well, but probably not to next month.
I can't kick whats so ever, and I'm not very flexable, so I just need to work it out.
but RMA offers a begginer kickboxing class, so I probably will end up joining that.

but yeh cmills for sure i'll message you sometime.
and we'll sparr or something, it's always good to find a sparring partner in your area!
cmill21
11/15/07 11:01:34PM
You bet, none of my friends will. lol.
KeNn
11/15/07 11:09:11PM
lol you best at stand up?

let me train for a month or so get back into form.
lol right now if I sparred anyone who's in good shape and has been fighting for years.

I'd waste their time.,
a month or so I should be able to work out the creaks and be back to fighting form.
p.s I got a real mean left hand.
cmill21
11/16/07 12:03:00AM
Yeah i've been training for quite some time in kickboxing. I'm ambidextrous though so I use both south paw and orthodox . I'll hopfully be back at depot in the next couple months but definetly let me know, i'm always up for sparrin.
KeNn
11/16/07 12:19:55AM
lol yea for sure I'll keep in touch.

A quick question, going into Jujitsu green, should I just walk into the the dojo or w/e, and ask to speak to an instructor? or should I train for a bit and then join, but that makes no sense.

give me your thoughts, thanks!
cmill21
11/16/07 12:25:45AM
Just walk in, let them know your interested in joining and they'll be happy to have you no matter what kind of experience you have. Everyone's got to start somewhere, not to many people born knowing how to slap on a gogplata.
KeNn
11/16/07 12:31:59AM
yeah thats what I figured.
well tommorow is the start, for my training.
I'll let you guys know how it goes.
KeNn
11/16/07 8:49:07PM

Posted by KeNn

yeah thats what I figured.
well tommorow is the start, for my training.
I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Well today was pretty dissapointing, I walk into the Dojo.
and no one was around they were all in the gym, and I waited in the main lobby for about 15 minutes. I then left and called them, no one answered. I heard everyone in the gym. Their MMA store was closed, and there was no receptionist.

Should have I just walked into the gym?
I thought that it would make me come across as rude.
Pages: [1] 2