mrsmiley presents DIY 2.0 (the next step in the mask making process)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » mrsmiley presents DIY 2.0 (the next step in the mask making process)
mrsmiley
9/11/09 5:55:27PM
Jason Vorhees Scalp

Good Halloween project.

This is an easy way to create a "Jason scalp" to go with your hockey mask.
It's cheap and fairly easy to pulloff and can really highlight your costume all together.

What you will need

1.Black spray paint
2.Brown acrilic paint
3.Grey acrilic paint
4.White acrilic paint
5.Cotton balls
6.Super glue (or a sticky adhisive)
7.Newspaper
8.paint brushes (just about any size will do but I suggest medium sized ones)
9.Aluminum foil
10.Elmers glue
11.Water

Simpy put,this is pretty much a paper mache project. If you've done paper mache projects in the past,you probably know what to expect. If not don't worry.

Step one

Rip out a fairly large sheet of aluminum foil. Start midway from the top of your head and pressing down with you hand roughly mold the foil to the shape of your head.
It may take a few tries to get a good mold or a foil sheet the right size.

Step two

Cut up some newspaper into strips about 6-8 inches long. Make sure to cut up plenty.
(Read the section with the funnies while your at it ).

Step three

Fill a small jar or container with around a 3rd cup of water.
Then mix an equal amount of elmers glue with the water and stir for about a minute.
You may need to add or take away some water. A 3rd cup is a rough estimate of what I used.

Step 4

Piece by piece, take a strip of newspaper and with a paint brush paint both sides of each strip with the water and glue solution. Emmediatley after doing this to each piece,paste it to the aluminum mold of your head. Make each strip as smoth as you can across the mold of your head. Add about 3 layers,then let dry for around 4-6 hours or until dry.
I actually let my mold dry over night.
Once your done pasting the paper strips to the aluminum foil your mold should look something like this:

Step 5

The paper had dried.
Now you will need your black spray paint. Spray all the paper black.
Let dry,and if needed add another coat.

Step 6

For step 6 you will need your brown,grey, and white acrilic paint.
Mix them together in equal amounts until the color becomes a muddy grey.
Then paint the black newspaper over with this mixture.
Note: I actually substituted the white paint with liquid latex.

Step 7

After that has dried get back out the black spary paint and lightly spary over the entire area. When you are done your scalp should be looking similar to this:

You can probably notice I mainly highlighted the sides with the black spray paint to really bring out the top of the head. It helped to give it a more deformed look.

Step 8

Get out your cotton balls and unravel a few of them.Then break apart the unraveld pieces into shorter sections. You will then mix the cotton into your paint and cover each piece thoroughly. Let each piece dry,then stick to the scalp using some super glue.
After that,take a few small tufts of cotton and glue to various areas of the scalp.
What your left with is a muddy looking scalp with small pieces of hair and muddy flesh.

That's it!
Here' a few pictures of the finished product with the mask attached so can get an idea of what if will look like when your done:

Add any additional embellishments you want.
I'm personaly thinking about glueing a few tufts of cotton to a short fishing line and adding for some longer strands of hair.

On another note,when you put the scalp on with the mask,it may tend to arch up,exposing some of your hair or head. To remedy this you can actualy attach another piece of foil and mache it to cover the exposed part of your head,or you can simply cover it with articles of clothing.
This may not happen though,so originaly I would suggest to add another piece of foil unless you need to.

The last pic is taken without the flash.
It gives more of an idea how it looks in low light.Jason Vorhees Scalp Good Halloween project. This is an easy way to create a "Jason scalp" to go with your hockey mask. It's cheap and fairly easy to pulloff and can really highlight your costume all together. What you will need 1.Black spray paint 2.Brown acrilic paint 3.Grey acrilic paint 4.White acrilic paint 5.Cotton balls 6.Super glue (or a sticky adhisive) 7.Newspaper 8.paint brushes (just about any size will do but I suggest medium sized ones) 9.Aluminum foil 10.Elmers glue 11.Water Simpy put,this is pretty much a paper mache project. If you've done paper mache projects in the past,you probably know what to expect. If not don't worry. Step one Rip out a fairly large sheet of aluminum foil. Start midway from the top of your head and pressing down with you hand roughly mold the foil to the shape of your head. It may take a few tries to get a good mold or a foil sheet the right size. Step two Cut up some newspaper into strips about 6-8 inches long. Make sure to cut up plenty. (Read the section with the funnies while your at it ). Step three Fill a small jar or container with around a 3rd cup of water. Then mix an equal amount of elmers glue with the water and stir for about a minute. You may need to add or take away some water. A 3rd cup is a rough estimate of what I used. Step 4 Piece by piece, take a strip of newspaper and with a paint brush paint both sides of each strip with the water and glue solution. Emmediatley after doing this to each piece,paste it to the aluminum mold of your head. Make each strip as smoth as you can across the mold of your head. Add about 3 layers,then let dry for around 4-6 hours or until dry. I actually let my mold dry over night. Once your done pasting the paper strips to the aluminum foil your mold should look something like this: [url]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/mrsmiley123/scalp3.jpg[/url] [url]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/mrsmiley123/scalp6.jpg[/url] Step 5 The paper had dried. Now you will need your black spray paint. Spray all the paper black. Let dry,and if needed add another coat. Step 6 For step 6 you will need your brown,grey, and white acrilic paint. Mix them together in equal amounts until the color becomes a muddy grey. Then paint the black newspaper over with this mixture. Note: I actually substituted the white paint with liquid latex. Step 7 After that has dried get back out the black spary paint and lightly spary over the entire area. When you are done your scalp should be looking similar to this: [url]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/mrsmiley123/scalp2.jpg[/url] You can probably notice I mainly highlighted the sides with the black spray paint to really bring out the top of the head. It helped to give it a more deformed look. Step 8 Get out your cotton balls and unravel a few of them.Then break apart the unraveld pieces into shorter sections. You will then mix the cotton into your paint and cover each piece thoroughly. Let each piece dry,then stick to the scalp using some super glue. After that,take a few small tufts of cotton and glue to various areas of the scalp. What your left with is a muddy looking scalp with small pieces of hair and muddy flesh. That's it! Here' a few pictures of the finished product with the mask attached so can get an idea of what if will look like when your done: [url]h/Picture087.jpg[/url] Add any additional embellishments you want. I'm personaly thinking about glueing a few tufts of cotton to a short fishing line and adding for some longer strands of hair. On another note,when you put the scalp on with the mask,it may tend to arch up,exposing some of your hair or head. To remedy this you can actualy attach another piece of foil and mache it to cover the exposed part of your head,or you can simply cover it with articles of clothing. This may not happen though,so originaly I would suggest to add another piece of foil unless you need to. For any additional info,comments,or questions email me at: Here's a few more pics after add a finish to it: [url]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/mrsmiley123/Picture096.jpg[/url] The last few pics are taken without the flash. It gives more of an idea how it looks in low light.

mrsmiley
9/11/09 6:07:18PM
Sorry about the repost underneath.
I tried to delete it but when I do it deletes the whole post.

It's not a master work of art,but I had most these items in my home already and paid next to nothing making this,versus spending between 40.00-700.00 for one.

Let me know what you guys think.
Love it or hate it.
Hendo67
9/11/09 7:59:51PM
AWESOME! seriously... you pretty much nailed the head.
cowcatcher
9/11/09 8:37:46PM
very impressive man, i guess the tinkerbell costume i was going to go with might have to wait another year...
xtra_chewy
9/12/09 5:21:08PM
Nice job dude, do you make masks/etc. very often?
mrsmiley
9/13/09 8:49:09PM
Thanks guys.

This is the second time i've tried it.

I'm planning on making another Jason scalp but rigging ear holes to where water slowly leaks from them.
I also modified a Michael Myers mask I have. It doesn't look amazing but a little change in the mask made it look a lot better.