Movies you may not have seen, but should!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Movies you may not have seen, but should!
Next Page »
Wolfenstein
2/24/09 12:07:43PM
Just like the title says--what are some more obscure movies the common movie-goer may not have seen, but should? Here's a few...

The City of God I'm not usually a fan of subtitled movies but this movie was awesome, and absolutely brutal. I've yet to meet anyone who has watched this movie, and not loved it.

Event Horizon- I think this was a box office bomb, but if you like horror movies, and you like space...this is a must see!

The Jacket- Another box office bomb, and was relatively trashed by critics...so it must be good!

Sexy Beast- A brittish film with Ben Kingsley, and that alone makes this little gem kick-ass.

Bowen50
2/24/09 12:20:04PM
The Foot Fist Way - One of the funniest movies i've seen in a while. It's about an over the hill Tae Kwon Do instructor who is the cockiest SOB walking the planet.

wiggum
2/24/09 12:25:32PM
that movies is awesome!!!!

one movie that just came out on dvd, i caught it while in the theaters, is CHOKE......(no its not mma related)......i read the book a while back, its by the same guy that did fight club (both books are awesome!), and this adaptation is actually quite good...quirky and funny...check it out if like that style
Darnok
2/24/09 12:45:06PM
I did very much enjoy Event Horizon.

But of Course my all time fav is Fifth Element. I own four different copies.
DCRage
2/24/09 12:49:13PM
Considering I've been dabbing more and more in Japanese cult cinema recently (it's becoming more widely available in the US through iTunes and online stores plus anime stores), there are a few good ones there but for starters, you gotta see one of the coolest cats in Japanese pop culture:

If only school was as cool as this guy.
Aaronno9
2/24/09 1:27:16PM
City of god is awesome, I also dont usually like subtitled films but im glad I decided to check it out. Its weird becouse my hearing isnt what it used to be due to 6 years of loud music through headphones everyday, and my TV is mounted on the wall separating my room and my moms so its always got to be quiet after like 10, so I watch everything with subtitles anyways. But when its a film subbed anyways I generally refuse to watch. Still need to check out City of Men, I hear thats awesome to.

Others I really like but not everybody has seen -

Rounders
Sugarhouse
Diary of the dead (if your into that kinda film)
Memento
AchillesHeel
2/24/09 1:30:03PM
With 1,135 films rated in my Netflix account, I could probably go on for days in a thread like this. So I'll narrow my focus to...

Mel Gibson movies you may not have seen, but should!

The Year of Living Dangerously

My Netflix rating: 5 stars out of 5
Average rating among 141,553 Netflix users: 3.6 stars out of 5

Payback

This is the theatrical release. There was also a Director's Cut, titled "Payback: Straight Up." The director's cut is substantially different, but I prefer the theatrical release.
My Netflix rating: 5.0 stars
Average rating of 571,007 Netflix users: 3.6 stars

Tequila Sunrise

My Netflix rating: 4 stars
Average rating of 122,771 Netflix users: 3.4 stars

Conspiracy Theory

My Netflix rating: 4.0 stars
Average rating of 725,008 Netflix users: 3.7 stars

decken
2/24/09 2:52:41PM

This movie is amazing!!!
SpiderSilva
2/24/09 5:34:42PM

Wolfenstein
2/24/09 6:07:41PM
The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite movie, or at least tied at the top with maybe Vanilla Sky. The Machinist kicked ass and I loved Equilibrium. I've yet to see Ravenous but since we seem to have similar tastes in movies I will definetely have to check it out.

The foot the fist way...I've never seen that movie by Will Ferrel. Looks super cheesy but sounds hilarious. I'll have to give it a go.

Conspiracy Theory, in my opinion was Mel Gibson's best movie.

Fight Club was an awesome book, and the adaptation I thought was done pretty well. I loved em' both, but I've never heard of Choke. Should be interesting.

I'm always down for Zombie flicks, how are the effects in Diary of the Dead?
kopower
2/24/09 6:16:30PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

I was thinking equilibrium. That movie is great. How about Dead Alive. Crazy horror/comedy flick. I can always watch Starship Troopers, great action/sci fi movie. As stated above, City of God is excellent. Kung Fu Hustle is sweet too
Pookie
2/24/09 6:46:44PM
Old Boy
Bowen50
2/24/09 7:13:49PM
RampageOwnedYou
2/24/09 8:02:30PM

One of the best movies i've seen in years.

Deserved to win oscar for best picture and director.
I know alot of people wont see it, because its got indian people in it. But it was awsome!! I saw the Wrestler also, but kinda slow. Slumdog was better IMO.
Wolfenstein
2/24/09 8:16:30PM
Just about every Danny Boyle movie has been awesome (The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Trainspotting) so I'll definetely give it a whirl--hopefully as good as his other films.

Looks like a screener has hit the scene a couple weeks ago so I should have it within the hour...nice!
beerman77
2/24/09 8:48:21PM

cowcatcher
1/28/11 11:17:38AM
teddythetuna
1/28/11 2:53:22PM
Some great ones here like In the Mouth of Madness, Event Horizon, and Old Boy. Here are a few more

Hero
IP Man
Pans Labriynth
Sin Nombre
Hellraiser Bloodlines
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
Ninja Scroll
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Iron Monkey
Shinobi: Heart Under Blade
The Promise
Jin Roh
Let the Right One In( Swedish Version)

Too many to list. I love anime and foreign films
warglory
1/28/11 11:13:52PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite movie, or at least tied at the top with maybe Vanilla Sky. The Machinist kicked ass and I loved Equilibrium. I've yet to see Ravenous but since we seem to have similar tastes in movies I will definetely have to check it out.

The foot the fist way...I've never seen that movie by Will Ferrel. Looks super cheesy but sounds hilarious. I'll have to give it a go.

Conspiracy Theory, in my opinion was Mel Gibson's best movie.

Fight Club was an awesome book, and the adaptation I thought was done pretty well. I loved em' both, but I've never heard of Choke. Should be interesting.

I'm always down for Zombie flicks, how are the effects in Diary of the Dead?

Have you seen Open Your Eyes? It's the Spanish movie that Vanilla Sky was based on, and it's superior in every way.
mrsmiley
1/29/11 6:28:39AM
1. Near Dark. Bill Paxton and Lance henriksen as ruthless outlaw vampires.
Need I say more?

2.Bubba Ho-Tep. Bruce Campbell plays Elvis. That alone is worth the charge of admission. But wait their's more. He's in a nursing home after faking his death and he happens to meet JFK who happened to have his skin dyed black. It's all part of a big coverup. But it gets a lot weirder. An ancient mummy finds its way to the nursing home and sucks the souls out of the residents and only Elvis and JFK can stop it!!!!!

3. Highway to Hell. B side horror movie about a guy that goes into hell to save his beloved girlfriend. Also features a very,very, young Ben Stiller.

cowcatcher
1/29/11 10:33:23AM
I'm not going to explain what this movie is about. I'm not even sure anyone should see it. Maybe if the right person finds out about this the authorities can be notified...

warglory
1/29/11 11:51:56AM

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm not going to explain what this movie is about. I'm not even sure anyone should see it. Maybe if the right person finds out about this the authorities can be notified...

I've heard about this in detail, and I've also heard it's incredibly stupid; a glorified B horror movie.
teddythetuna
1/29/11 1:03:53PM
Yeah The Human Centipede is one of those movies that is definitely there to shock you. Not much different than Cannibal Holocaust which i think is way more effective in doing that. Considering it was out in the eighties. They actually kill animals and the director and producer were arrested because they thought that they killed a woman while making the movie. I own it and can say that it looks very real so i can see why authorities were concerned.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/29/11 1:10:56PM
sclasclemski
1/29/11 10:29:14PM
Glad I stumbled on to this thread...never heard of The Foot movie...but anything with Danny McBride is worth checking out IMO...I also love Bruce Cambell and I've heard of Bubba ho-Tep but never saw it and didn't really know what it was about...I will be checking that out as well

For my contributions I will give you:

American Pop - Animation movie following several generations of American pop culture/music.

Donnie Darko - pretty weird, a love it or hate it type movie

A clockwork Orange - another weird one, but a classic

Cool Hand Luke - another classic great story

O brother where art though - soundtrack alone makes the movie worth watching

Lock stock and two smoking barrels/ snatch - might as well see both of these together so that you dont have to readjust to understanding the accents

kopower
1/30/11 11:16:11PM
Princess Mononoke

One of the best animated movies I've ever seen.

Reign of Fire with Christian Bale and Matthew Mcconaughey

Pretty good action flick
Hendo67
1/31/11 1:47:06PM
mrsmiley
1/31/11 3:19:07PM

Posted by kopower

Princess Mononoke

One of the best animated movies I've ever seen.

Reign of Fire with Christian Bale and Matthew Mcconaughey

Pretty good action flick

That reminds me of another one too. Pom Poko. Japanese cartoon that was released in limited supply by Disney stateside.Basicly a bunch of racoons get pissed that people are clearing out the forrest and they start taking it back for themselves. I'm going to check out Monoke too. Already looks cool just from the pic.
kopower
2/3/11 11:46:08PM
I just checked out Highway to Hell, mrsmiley. It wasn't too bad. Pretty entertaining. It actually had some decent special effects.
mrsmiley
2/4/11 5:15:57AM

Posted by kopower

I just checked out Highway to Hell, mrsmiley. It wasn't too bad. Pretty entertaining. It actually had some decent special effects.

I always lmao when he all the sudden trys to be tough when fighting the demon/woman on the bed. I'm a lover not a fighter.
Glad you liked it.
Pages: [1] 2