Mousasi talks about prospect of facing Dan Henderson in Strikeforce

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mousasi talks about prospect of facing Dan Henderson in Strikeforce
ThaAxeMurderer7
10/20/09 5:31:39PM
Gegard Mousasi (26-2-1) believes the prospect of Dan Henderson joining Strikeforce is an interesting one, but he is in no hurry to face the former PRIDE double-champion.

“I think if he would join Strikeforce that there are plenty of good match-ups for him, he would bring a lot of excitement with him,” he told Fighters Only tonight following days of speculation in the MMA media regarding Henderson possibly jumping the UFC ship.

And he added with a laugh, “I personally wouldn’t like to fight him, because if I fight a high-calibre fighter like Dan Henderson or a bum I would get paid the same, so there isn’t any motivation to fight a better fighter - although for the right money I would fight even Godzilla.”

Link
seanfu
10/20/09 6:05:47PM
LOL He really has been mentored by Fedor!!! lol
IriShame
10/20/09 6:25:33PM

Posted by seanfu

No motivation to fight a better fighter? If you want to fight bums and collect paychecks the U.S. might not be your best bet. Japan called though, they said they'd gladly overpay you to beat tomato cans. Oh wait, Overeem already has that job.

Seriously though, the bad news is there's literally NOTHING keeping Mousasi from playing it safe for the forseeable future, and that includes his Strikeforce Championship belt. Those things don't mean much these days. Just ask Alistair!
scobac
10/20/09 6:28:51PM
I guess Mousasi should play H.M Murdock in the A team movie alongside "I only do it for the money" Rampage.

Blah. Makes me sick to hear guys like this say these things.

I have to be honest after three years of loving this sport im starting to get a little detoured, when the stars act like this I have very little interest.
hotrodttt
10/20/09 7:30:33PM

Posted by seanfu

Tell me, when has Fedor ever ducked a fight? And what heavyweight has the most wins against Top heavyweights? It's not his fault that his management is not letting him sign with the ufc. If it was his choice he would fight anybody in the ufc.
EvenFlow
10/20/09 7:34:32PM

Posted by seanfu

Explain how being unable to sign with the UFC while under contract is his fault, cmon dude.
mshalosky
10/20/09 8:00:34PM

hotrodttt
Posted by seanfu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me, when has Fedor ever ducked a fight? And what heavyweight has the most wins against Top heavyweights? It's not his fault that his management is not letting him sign with the ufc. If it was his choice he would fight anybody in the ufc.

Chill i think he was just refering to some of the fights like hmc or mark hunt. Everyone knows fedors not duckin the ufc
higdon10
10/20/09 8:07:57PM

Posted by seanfu

Really bro? Come on..
Jackelope
10/20/09 8:21:51PM
I really don't have a problem with Mousasi saying this. That's a big money fight, and it deserves to be a big money fight. If I were Mousasi why would I risk the huge name I'm building for a couple thousand dollars to fight one of the best in the world when I can build my name even bigger for a couple of fights and then renegotiate for that specific fight at a price I deserve to be paid?

Mousasi is getting paid a couple thousand dollars per fight and he's the organization's champ. Doesn't something seem wrong about that to you guys? It does to me.

These guys work hard. Let them make their money. If this were all about fighting and only fighting then these guys would be doing it for free. They'd all be broken down, barely trained, and mostly out of shape. Instead the sport has grown better as fighter pay has gone up. There's state of the art facilities for training, great doctors to fix injuries, and high tech equipment and trainers for conditioning.

If you want to see guys fight for the sake of fighting then go down to your local bar on a Friday night.

D0wnUnd6e6r
10/20/09 8:37:38PM
meh, i can see why the playground thinks its kind of out of order saying theres no motivation in fighting hendo, I would say kind of pretentious....but I'd actually would give the edge to gegard and pick him if the fight happens.
hotrodttt
10/20/09 9:04:22PM

Posted by mshalosky

hotrodttt
Posted by seanfu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chill i think he was just refering to some of the fights like hmc or mark hunt. Everyone knows fedors not duckin the ufc

I'm chill like a cucumber lol, I was just making a point. I hope It didn't come off like I was being a douchebag. No douchebaggery intended
MaxOne
10/20/09 9:45:39PM
I have no problem w/his comments. A fighter should do their best to balance their "love" for the sport against their earning potential....especially if they have a family to provide for. For Mousasi it's in his best interest to beat some people up and look good to increase his earning potential. Fighters careers don't last as long as insurance agents so they need to make wise use of their abilities and their time in the ring/cage.

If Dan did go to strikeforce i'm sure he'd want the title shot right away but i'd actually prefer he had a "tune up" fight first.

For Mousasi, it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to pursue that match up right away.
seanfu
10/21/09 12:51:59AM
It was a joke lol

I mean Fedor didn't fight in the new years fights for the experiance.

I'm a Mousassi nuthugger and I'm pretty sure, or at least hoping he was joking when he made the statement.

Beside that, Hendo Fedor damnit!!! I don't care if Hendo doesn't have good odds, he'll make a great fight.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
10/21/09 1:48:47PM
so this is the worst thing and only bad thing I've ever read coming from Mousasi mouth.
I get it but, sure the money might be the same but a win over Henderson is tremendous and definitely lines you up for something big a win over a can, sure your record looks nice but us MMA fans look at quality over quantity in the end
1daveufc
10/21/09 4:51:23PM
if the fight comes off a can see dan hurting mousasi real bad.
BelXavier420
10/21/09 5:25:03PM

Posted by seanfu

It was a joke lol

I mean Fedor didn't fight in the new years fights for the experiance.

I'm a Mousassi nuthugger and I'm pretty sure, or at least hoping he was joking when he made the statement.

Beside that, Hendo Fedor damnit!!! I don't care if Hendo doesn't have good odds, he'll make a great fight.

Hendo vs Fedor!
Befor I go to sleep each night I pray for this one. Too bad Fedor isn't going to loose weight.
EliasG
12/7/09 7:46:22PM
Everyone who wants people to do things for the "love" only needs to start Mortgage funds for the fighters who will fight whenever and whoever.

It's ironic that the guys who fight whoever and wherever and have lackluster records to show for it, don't have the love/hype/support/fanbase that the fighters who have a belt and an undefeated record do.

It would be dumb to think that Gegard---a developing talent who has his eyes on the UFC would look to take a fight that would tarnish HUGE earning potential and a big fight shot, when he knows that one loss makes American fans think that he's garbage and was always overhyped. If he KO's a few more guys in impressive fashion and closes out his contract, look for him to sign a big one with the UFC after he has a name with AMerican fans.

Seriously, this IS a business guys. If you just want to "fight" go to the gym....there's always chances to spar, fight, and do smokers against whoever....and it's free so you can feel like you did it for hte love.
cj_striker
12/7/09 10:51:59PM
As an MMA fan I disappointed to hear Mousasi say this, but as a practical hard working human being who has to live to make money like everyone else I completely understand. As was already said Mousasi isn't making as much as the champion of an org. should be making and his name still isn't huge in the eyes of american fans yet. And while a win over Hendo would definitely get him instant respect and a top ten LHW ranking in american fans eyes it would also be a big risk for him as well. But in the end I think and hope that we will see Hendo vs Mousasi, because Mousasi eventually will have to face a top ten LHW whether it is Hendo or whether he gets signed by the UFC eventually, so he might as well face Hendo to prove to himself and to the UFC that he is one of the greatest LHW in the world and deserves to be making the big bucks and eventually fighting in the UFC against the greatest mixed martial artists in the world. But if he wants a couple more fights before he gets Hendo, then give it to him, but he does need to face Hendo eventually. Give Hendo Shields, have him win the MW belt and defend it against Lawler, Diaz, Cung Le, Shamrock at least one or two of those guys or other top ranked MW, then give him Mousasi on his fourth and final fight on his original contract.