Monson calling out Fedor

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Monson calling out Fedor
Wolfenstein
4/6/09 3:13:57PM
"My goal in DREAM is to fight the best. Ultimately, I want to fight Fedor. If DREAM could set that up it would be great,” he said after disposing of Kharitonov in just 1:42 of the first round.

link
cmill21
4/6/09 3:17:38PM
Woah woah woah, slow down there Jeffrey, this is how people get hurt.
Twenty20Dollars
4/6/09 3:23:49PM
sure why not. I wouldnt mind seeing that fight.
motorboatensob
4/6/09 3:30:44PM
I would give Monson a chance styles make fights and Monson is great on the ground. We have seen people get Fedor down so if Monson could do that the fight wouldn't be so one sided. A guy like Monson might just be the kind of guy it takes to bring the empire down.
babytater03
4/6/09 3:45:32PM
this fight is not going to come about, though i'd love to see it.

Affliction has Fedor tied up, most likely, for their 3rd and final installment and at best it's going to be 6 months after that before a fight like this would take place given status quo for promotions and Fedor's management staff.
sparky
4/6/09 3:56:22PM
Fedor will eat Monson for breakfast!!!!!
cmill21
4/6/09 4:08:57PM
I love when guys get one win(GG, Randy, AA, Brock, ect.) people think "he's the man to beat Fedor". He's been fighting guys who are at the tail end of their career, and despite the win against Sergei(who looked out of shape and has half the wrestling Fedor does) he hasn't done much. Yeah he's a tough guy and yes he has great subs, but Fedor's probably not going to get subbed in his first mma loss.
Blizzard
4/6/09 4:13:32PM
Monson has good grappling / sub skills, but his stand up has a lot of holes in it, Fedor TKO RD1
Fahrenheit1221
4/6/09 4:17:14PM
Wow... I'm not even sure how to respond to this, I mean Sergei is a beast but if Monson truly wanted and or deserved to fight Fedor, it would have already happened by now, that being said... I don't think this would be a terrible match-up.
chuckw94
4/6/09 4:33:59PM
come on monson, you have to beat somebody in the top 10 first.
loller90278
4/6/09 4:44:46PM
why dream, and not affliction?

i could see monson/fedor @ affliction 3 in august...

although i would not be a fan of that match at all.

postman
4/6/09 5:06:15PM
Nog at his very best didn't sub Fedor Monson won't either
LakieMan
4/6/09 5:12:48PM
Fedor by ko!
slapshot
4/6/09 6:43:12PM

Posted by Fahrenheit1221

Wow... I'm not even sure how to respond to this, I mean Sergei is a beast but if Monson truly wanted and or deserved to fight Fedor, it would have already happened by now, that being said... I don't think this would be a terrible match-up.

We all know it's never been about who deserves a fight more, its always been about what kind of money you pull in. I dont think Tim Silva deserved a shot more than other fighters but he was a $$ draw and was available so it happened, Monson was under contact with the UFC for a wile, pride died, I just think there is more that goes into it and I think Monson would fight anyone but the timing has never been right and still isn't, I dont think he would win but he is just as deserving as anyone else.
team_demon_fighter
4/6/09 6:43:51PM
i thnk monson shuld work his way up the ranks a lil more, but like stated above, styles make fights and monson could slow the fight down to a bore feast and lay and pray, stay out of subs and possibly win a boring ass decision! prolly not, but possibly.
theguido
4/6/09 7:05:54PM

Posted by team_demon_fighter

i thnk monson shuld work his way up the ranks a lil more, but like stated above, styles make fights and monson could slow the fight down to a bore feast and lay and pray, stay out of subs and possibly win a boring ass decision! prolly not, but possibly.

Amigop
4/6/09 10:54:38PM
Monson has always had that style which is a bad match up for Fedor. but considering Fedor is unbeatable and monson doesnt know what striking is, Fedor KO round 1
breakdown5
4/6/09 11:24:09PM
Pretty ambitious for Monson. Fedor is a machine. Monson's also probably one of the few fighters at HW that Fedor will have reach on. Fedor power shots would drop Monson hard.
jascri
4/6/09 11:53:42PM
I think a lot of guys now are just looking for that big payday. Monson has NO business stepping in the ring with Fedor. It's like Bruce Seldon (?) fighting Tyson. He somehow managed to get in the ring--barley, and then was happy with his being able to survive for ten seconds. "I just fought the baddest man on the planet," he said proudly after the fight.PLEASE!!!
cmill21
4/7/09 4:11:06AM

Posted by Amigop

Monson has always had that style which is a bad match up for Fedor. but considering Fedor is unbeatable and monson doesnt know what striking is, Fedor KO round 1

Theres a style thats a bad matchup for Fedor?
Pookie
4/7/09 4:15:42AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Amigop

Theres a style thats a bad matchup for Fedor?

Yeah, it just so happens that anybody whos a bad style match-up for him, fedor is also a bad match-up for them.
zstajerski
4/7/09 6:37:56AM
hmm
dont u guys remember some 2,3 years ago monson allready called out fedor and then ducked him ;) ghahahahahhahaa

so pls..........
ianinspain
4/7/09 7:07:52AM
One thing to point out - Tim Sylvia took Monson apart in the stand up (see the dudes face after the fight) and monson did not do much on the floor. We know what Fedor did to Tim, so why does Monson think he will fair any better against fedor?
EliasG
4/7/09 5:40:13PM
Fedor is so ridiculously relaxed in there and then he explodes. It is possible that Monson would take Fedor down but Fedor has submissions from many different positions. Plus, when they stand back up, Fedor is dominant again. However, I think Monson has every right to want to go after Fedor. Fedor is the best and fighters should want to fight the best. Nothing wrong with that. No fighter should say, "I'd like to fight some weaker competition and get some wins...I'll do my best to duck Fedor."

If they are true "fighters" they want that big challenge.
team_demon_fighter
4/7/09 5:52:02PM

Posted by EliasG

Fedor is so ridiculously relaxed in there and then he explodes. It is possible that Monson would take Fedor down but Fedor has submissions from many different positions. Plus, when they stand back up, Fedor is dominant again. However, I think Monson has every right to want to go after Fedor. Fedor is the best and fighters should want to fight the best. Nothing wrong with that. No fighter should say, "I'd like to fight some weaker competition and get some wins...I'll do my best to duck Fedor."

If they are true "fighters" they want that big challenge.

bls1919
4/7/09 8:59:34PM
Monson has great top control and big power. This would be a great fight IMO. I dont kow if Fedor could sub Monson???? Standing Fedor definatly has the advantage. Jwff might be able to take Emelienko down but could he keep him there? i say Fedor UD, maybe TKLo if he can land cleanly.