MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings Updated

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings Updated
zephead
5/23/07 3:25:16PM
The latest MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings were released on Wednesday, May 23rd. This system ranks the top ten MMA fighters from all across the world in each of the five major weight classes, as voted on by MMAWeekly.

LINK
NME
5/23/07 3:31:13PM
They lose credibility, to me, when they fail to rank Gonzaga ahead of Cro Cop, who Gonzaga soundly defeated. That is, Gonzaga did not catch Cro Cop with merely a lucky stike, but he seemed to control the fight the entire time...AND scored a highlight reel KO.

It's surprising to me that MMAWeekly is basically the only well known web site doing rankings, or that they have become on some level the authority on MMA rankings.

EDIT: I see they finally added Sean Sherk to their rankings! I'd personally rank him higher, but considering his tremendous down time since he won the title, I understand the low ranking.

Though I did think it smacked of bias when he was not ranked at all following his title win.
szucconi
5/23/07 3:53:09PM
Where is Nick Diaz? He crushed Gomi. He's not even in the top ten? I think they are the ones high on the marijuana.

How is Dan Henderson third in the LHW division and fifth in the MW division? Are they saying Rich Franklin could beat Wanderlei Silva?

I agree with NME. They are inconsistent and not credible
rcg916
5/23/07 4:21:11PM
yeah, completely inconsistent...

They ranked Serra ahead of GSP, when he got the upset win, but didnt follow the same procedure when Gonzaga upset CroCop. Someone close to the rankings must really like Serra.

Hell, I like Serra a lot, how couldn't you?
NME
5/23/07 4:24:56PM

Posted by rcg916

They ranked Serra ahead of GSP, when he got the upset win, but didnt follow the same procedure when Gonzaga upset CroCop. Someone close to the rankings must really like Serra.

I agree. And with Serra v. GSP, it was certainly more a case of a "lucky punch" that took GSP down and allowed Serra to pound out the victory. To me, at that point you are not obligated to rank him ahead of the person he beat, especially when the person he beat handily defeated the greatest champion that weight class has ever known in his previous fight in convincing fashion.

But if Serra defeats Hughes as well, then he deserves to be in...I don't know, the top three pound for pound I'd say. We can't forget that Serra is a natural 155'er!
nubby
5/23/07 4:56:26PM
I didn't look at the ratings but I don't think it's the right time to ranke either Serra or Gonzaga in the top 3 yet.
-Virus-
5/23/07 5:37:03PM
Its really hard to rank an accurate top 10 but i award them for there effort although i disagree with many of there fighters rankings
BrokenSword
5/23/07 6:34:38PM
MMAweekly is the worst, straight up.
BadSanta
5/23/07 11:34:21PM

Posted by rcg916

The welterweight division listings are nonsense. Matt Serra at the top already??? Nonsense.
mkiv9secsupra
5/24/07 1:34:35AM
What idiot(s) come up with this crap?! Its like if youre in the spotlight sometime recently youre automatically number 1?! wtf is up with that?