MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings Updated

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings Updated
zephead
5/9/07 3:23:11PM
The latest MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings were released on Wednesday, May 9th. This system ranks the top ten MMA fighters from all across the world in each of the five major weight classes, as voted on by MMAWeekly.

LINK
amicali
5/9/07 4:59:27PM
what the hell is sherk doing at number 10 on lw?!... thatz messed up
zephead
5/9/07 5:16:05PM
He's 2 on our rankings
Aether
5/9/07 8:45:19PM
yeah #10 is pretty low, but it's hard to rate a fighter against fighters from a different league when they've never crossed over. I'm guessing they just threw gomi up as #1 and then just kind of worked their way down through the ranks from there based on previous fight results. I'd put him more around #3 personally, I think sakurai is a better fighter.
Aether
5/9/07 8:51:13PM
I also don't really think matt serra deserves to be ranked #1 yet... he has losses to several of the people ranked below him, I think he needs to put up a title defense or two before he gets the title of "best welterweight in the world"
teamquestnorth
5/9/07 9:00:41PM
hendo at number 5 at middleweight is a joke it should be lindland and hendo then silva in that order
mayweatherjr1
5/9/07 10:49:02PM
let serra be the man for now...he won the fight by ko but he ain't staying too long...I would love to see him beat hughes though....but I feel a hughes kos coming on
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
grappler0000
5/9/07 11:48:15PM
Apparently someone agreed with the Gomi/Diaz decision...cuz Diaz is nowhere to be found.
mkiv9secsupra
5/9/07 11:56:04PM
these rankings are way off from being accurate... gabriel gonzaga has jumped up the rankings. Matt lindland should be ranked somewhere around 5. Dan Henderson should be ranked AT LEAST top 3. Anderson silva should be around the bottom (hes got good muay thai and despite being trained in BJJ, his ground game sucks). Nick Diaz beat gomi hands down (if you think marajuana is a pain surpressant you should have anal rapeage done....twice). i could go on but i made my point
Aether
5/10/07 7:35:53PM
yeah dan henderson never really seems to get the respect he deserves... he seems to be one of those fighters that only really avid MMA fans realize deserves to be top3. I think diaz really just got the same treatment that sherk and the rest of the ufc lightweights got. The division has been pretty much non-existent in the UFC up until a matter of months ago, so I think they really just took gomi, threw him at #1 and then worked their way down based on who beat who and plugged sherk in at the bottom.

Now that the UFC has bought PRIDE I think ratings like these will start to look a lot more accurate, because eventually they're just going to become a single entity and there won't really be anymore of this pride>ufc/ufc>pride argument going on.

Is anyone else really curious to see what they are going to do as far as restructuring the divisions in PRIDE? I'm assuming gomi will just lose 5 pounds and they'll create a new welterweight division bumping welterweight to middle and middle to light heavy. I know they had a lightweight grand prix scheduled for this summer (which I really hope they continue with because man will that be amazing) but then how long will they wait to do something with the welterweight division and when will they start the "superfights"? With crocop and nog in the UFC now it looks like fedor doesn't really have much of a challenge left in PRIDE other than barnett.

The next year or two is going to be an exciting time for MMA fans!
Aether
5/10/07 7:46:00PM
I don't think diaz is better than gomi either. I think gomi has a problem preparing when he knows there is nothing on the line, and it will end up just like the marcus aurelio fights where once the title is on the line he will adequately prepare and win convincingly. It actually looked to me like gomi was trying to tell the ref to stop the fight because diaz's face looked like it had been struck repeatedly with a 2x4 and he seemed to just lose focus and fall into a really bad position. gomi had a little scratch on his nose while diaz's orbital socket was literally shattered, one or two more hits on that eye and he could've suffered some permanent damage.
grappler0000
5/11/07 1:06:12AM

Posted by Aether

I don't think diaz is better than gomi either. I think gomi has a problem preparing when he knows there is nothing on the line, and it will end up just like the marcus aurelio fights where once the title is on the line he will adequately prepare and win convincingly. It actually looked to me like gomi was trying to tell the ref to stop the fight because diaz's face looked like it had been struck repeatedly with a 2x4 and he seemed to just lose focus and fall into a really bad position. gomi had a little scratch on his nose while diaz's orbital socket was literally shattered, one or two more hits on that eye and he could've suffered some permanent damage.

Lack of preperation? He was barely standing at the end of the 1st round...I'm actually surprised that he answered the 2nd round bell. If years of training can't keep you from getting caught in a gogo, nothing will. Gomi was outclassed...I know it's difficult to accept after watching him destroy so many others, but that's what happened.
Aether
5/13/07 2:54:44PM
yeah well lack of preparation is generally the biggest reason for a fighter not having adequate stamina to continue fighting at full strength. Diaz's punches obviously weren't hurting him at all, he was just gassed. You can fight for 15 years, if you take a month without training, your body will no longer be used to maintaining the same pace, it really doesn't matter how long you fought beforehand. Anyway, I'm sure we'll see a rematch (maybe once diaz's shattered face heals up) and I really doubt that with a belt on the line that the story will be the same.
grappler0000
5/14/07 4:06:45PM

Posted by Aether

yeah well lack of preparation is generally the biggest reason for a fighter not having adequate stamina to continue fighting at full strength. Diaz's punches obviously weren't hurting him at all, he was just gassed. You can fight for 15 years, if you take a month without training, your body will no longer be used to maintaining the same pace, it really doesn't matter how long you fought beforehand. Anyway, I'm sure we'll see a rematch (maybe once diaz's shattered face heals up) and I really doubt that with a belt on the line that the story will be the same.

If by gassing you mean stumbling around like he was hooked to a Jack Daniels I.V., then yes Gomi gassed. Where I come from, we call that punch-drunk.