mmaweekly.com rankings are a joke ban them!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » mmaweekly.com rankings are a joke ban them!
njekul
10/25/07 1:22:54AM
just wanded to know if im the only one who disagrees with most of the rankings. what a mess the lightheavys are. or mabey im wrong. whats your rankings?
ohiostate1016
10/25/07 10:05:38AM
MMA Weekly Rankings:

1-Rampage
2-Shogun
3-Hondo
4-Liddell
5-Wandi
6-Sokoudjou
7-Jardine
8-Griffin
9-Arona
10-Lil Nog

My rankings:
1-Rampage
2-Hondo
3-Shogun
4-Wandi
5-Rashad
6-Sokoudjou
7-tito
8-Liddell
9-Forrest
10-Jardine

Not exactly the same, but I could argue their rankings as legit. I just don't agree that Chuck is still that high, and I also have Evans a lot higher than they do...he's not even in their top ten.
TNunley
10/25/07 10:48:55AM
I think Shogun is WAY too high!

Not to mention they don't even have Tito ranked
jgordon85
10/25/07 5:43:00PM
i think it is very difficult to rank mma fighters all together anyway. have you noticed that the ufc does not have rankings they announce number contender match's then sometimes just take them away (like in the arlovski case). or will just give somebody a shot. and it seems like in ranking people cannot help but to favor a fighter that they hate or love. like the tito instance he is a fighter that you love or hate. so some have him ranked whom like him or they dont the ones who dont like him. also winning streaks and belts play a factor. like serra beating gsp he went from not ranked to number one. i just leave the ranking system alone it is hard to judge.
jocksmall
10/25/07 6:44:32PM
ranking are something we can talk about nothing more. if it was all clear cut we wouldnt have anything to debate and they become useless
jiujitsufreak74
10/25/07 6:46:55PM
at this point, don't be surprised to see travis fulton make the top ten...
cmill21
10/25/07 6:50:53PM

Posted by TNunley

I think Shogun is WAY too high!

Not to mention they don't even have Tito ranked

Shogun has done more in mma then the guys behind him. Tito should not be there, no way. His biggest win was when he turned his back and ran away from tito 7 years ago, since then if you acctually look at it he's beaten 4 guys now fighting at MW, Shamrock 3 times, Vitor, and forrest. Losing to chuck twice, Randy once and drawing with Rashad. To me thats hardly top 10. Oh and 2 of those wins were contraversial splits.
MALICE
10/26/07 7:27:58PM
most ranking systems are based on user polls. And most users just vote for their favorite fighters. So, their really not rankings at all. Their just most popular fighter lists.
jgtribbett
10/27/07 12:41:43PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

MMA Weekly Rankings:

1-Rampage
2-Shogun
3-Hondo
4-Liddell
5-Wandi
6-Sokoudjou
7-Jardine
8-Griffin
9-Arona
10-Lil Nog

My rankings:
1-Rampage
2-Hondo
3-Shogun
4-Wandi
5-Rashad
6-Sokoudjou
7-tito
8-Liddell
9-Forrest
10-Jardine

Not exactly the same, but I could argue their rankings as legit. I just don't agree that Chuck is still that high, and I also have Evans a lot higher than they do...he's not even in their top ten.

i'd switch rashad with soko. but that is the only difference... i dont think he's that great haha.. but at the same time.. i dont think bisbing needs to be fighting rashad either hahahahahah
Kastro
10/27/07 2:01:29PM

Posted by metal_mecca43

Posted by ohiostate1016

MMA Weekly Rankings:

1-Rampage
2-Shogun
3-Hondo
4-Liddell
5-Wandi
6-Sokoudjou
7-Jardine
8-Griffin
9-Arona
10-Lil Nog

My rankings:
1-Rampage
2-Hondo
3-Shogun
4-Wandi
5-Rashad
6-Sokoudjou
7-tito
8-Liddell
9-Forrest
10-Jardine

i'd switch rashad with soko. but that is the only difference... i dont think he's that great haha.. but at the same time.. i dont think bisbing needs to be fighting rashad either hahahahahah

Yah, so would I... what accomplishments has Rashad made to be #5? I would also have little Nog in there the man is a beast, though he has not had many recent fights so I cannot argue with his absence.
Stickan
10/27/07 2:13:18PM
I'd rank based on recent accomplishments and based on that, Jardine can't be lower than Liddell and Forrest can't be lower than Shogun.

Until Liddell beats Jardine in a rematch, Jardine is the proven better fighter.
Tailgunner
10/27/07 2:16:54PM
Mmaweekly.com rankings are a complete joke............Matt Serra is the #1 Welterweight my a*s!!!!

Serra isn't even in the top ten IMHO, he barely beat 2 has-beens in TUF, then he gets an undeserving title fight, then gets a lucky punch to the "BACK" of GSP's head and now he all of a sudden is #1?????

What was Serras ranking before he beat GSP???

IIRC he wasn't even ranked!!!!
Stickan
10/27/07 2:24:44PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Mmaweekly.com rankings are a complete joke............Matt Serra is the #1 Welterweight my a*s!!!!

Serra isn't even in the top ten IMHO, he barely beat 2 has-beens in TUF, then he gets an undeserving title fight, then gets a lucky punch to the "BACK" of GSP's head and now he all of a sudden is #1?????

How was the title shot undeserving if he beat the champion? That's just stupid. The only thing more stupid is to call that performance luck. It's not like he KO´d him with 1 punch or anything and it was GSP´s fault he blocked the barrage of punches with his head.
You guys blaming every loss of your favourite fighter on "luck" are the ones dragging down the forums.

If Serra is the #1 WW in the world is debatable (I think he is) but not his legitimate 1st round TKO of GSP.
jgtribbett
10/27/07 2:33:25PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Tailgunner

How was the title shot undeserving if he beat the champion? That's just stupid. The only thing more stupid is to call that performance luck. It's not like he KO´d him with 1 punch or anything and it was GSP´s fault he blocked the barrage of punches with his head.
You guys blaming every loss of your favourite fighter on "luck" are the ones dragging down the forums.

If Serra is the #1 WW in the world is debatable (I think he is) but not his legitimate 1st round TKO of GSP.

i agree.. look at it this way.. he didnt one punch ko him, there wasnt an early stoppage and he didnt win be a techniquality. (as in nc, or dq) He went in.. punch and played gsp's game and came out on top. will matt hughes beat him. maybe. but other than that... irght no he is on top.
Tailgunner
10/27/07 4:49:28PM

Posted by Stickan

How was the title shot undeserving if he beat the champion? That's just stupid.

He should have never even had the chance at GSP, just because he won some lame reality-tv show he gets a title shot????

Serra is NOT the #1 welterweight in the world, once he lose's to Hughes he will disappear from the UFC.
jiujitsufreak74
10/27/07 4:59:38PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by Stickan

How was the title shot undeserving if he beat the champion? That's just stupid.

He should have never even had the chance at GSP, just because he won some lame reality-tv show he gets a title shot????

Serra is NOT the #1 welterweight in the world, once he lose's to Hughes he will disappear from the UFC.

well if that happens it happens, but as of now, he beat a great fighter, and i don't feel it was a fluke. he hit him with hard punches and KOed him. now he is the champ of the organization with the best WW talent in the world. whether he deserved the shot or not is debatable, but he did something with that opportunity and became the champ. i have him at number one because he is as i said the champ of the best WW division. if he loses to hughes, then he will drop a lot of slots down, but we can't really say anything until he fights hughes. and even if he did lose, he wouldn't disappear, he would make great match-ups for the other great WWs. don't underestimate this man, i know i am a bit biased when it comes to him, but he trains rediculously hard for every fight, (first hand experience w/ guys that traim w/ him) and i believe his stand up is on par w/ hughes if not better, his JJ is way better, but his wrestling is were hughes will have the advantage. so this should be a great fight, so don't count serra out just yet.

EDIT: why is my post italicized??
Tailgunner
10/27/07 6:59:57PM
Serra hit GSP with a rabbit punch to the back of his head and then pounced on GSP when he was dazed.

Serra beat GSP once.............but as Tim Sylvia stated about the Serra/GSP fight lightning only strikes once!

9 times out of 10 GSP will own Serra and everyone knows it, but thats besides the point.

There is no way in hell Serra is in the top 5 of the WW division.