How does MMAPlayground compare to the Mainstream UFC fans in terms of predictions...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » How does MMAPlayground compare to the Mainstream UFC fans in terms of predictions...
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/8/08 2:26:34AM
I took the percentage results from the UFC mainsite events fight poles, and compared them to MMAPlaygrounds prediction stats.

UFC
Matt Serra 14.7%
Georges St-Pierre 85.3%

Playground
Georges "Rush" St Pierre 89%
Matt "The Terror" Serra 11%

UFC
Travis Lutter 12.4%
Rich Franklin 87.6%

Playground
Travis Lutter 13%
Rich "Ace" Franklin 87%

UFC
Nate Quarry 77.7%
Kalib Starnes 22.3%

Playground
Kalib Starnes 26%
Nate "The Rock" Quarry 74%

UFC
Charles McCarthy 11.2%
Michael Bisping 88.8%

Playground
Charles "Chainsaw" McCarthy 10%
Michael "The Count" Bisping 90%

UFC
Mark Bocek 9.5%
Mac Danzig 90.5%

Playground
Mac Danzig 92%
Mark Bocek 8%

UFC
Joe Doerksen 20.2%
Jason MacDonald 79.8%

Playground
Joe Doerkson 26%
Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald 74%

UFC
Jason Day 11.0%
Alan Belcher 89.0%

Playground
Alan "The Talent" Belcher 84%
Jason "Dooms" Day 16%

UFC
Ed Herman 76.6%
Demian Maia 23.4%

Playground
Demian Maia 35%
Ed "Short Fuse" Herman 65%

UFC
Rich Clementi 40.8%
Sam Stout 59.2%

Playground
Sam "Hands of Stone" Stout 52%
Rich "No Love" Clementi 48%

UFC
Kuniyoshi Hironaka 33.8%
Jonathan Goulet 66.2%

Playground
Jonathan Goulet 60%
Kuniyoshi Hironaka 40%

UFC
Brad Morris 62.4%
Cain Velasquez 37.6%

Playground
Brad Morris 36%
Cain Velasquez 64%
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/8/08 2:29:31AM
Pretty much dead even aside from the fact that we know who Cain Valasquez and Brad Morris are. The mainstream fans seem to be picking based on record.

We also have mre faith in Maia.
WhiteWidow
4/8/08 2:50:25AM
they usually always go with the popular fighters or bias opinions and favorites nationalities ors race etc.... Nationalism = Racism, quite sickening we still live in a world like that but what can you do? too frusterating to hate the haters
ocho-cinco
4/8/08 3:04:57AM
interesting research, I'm not quite sure what it tell us, but it's interesting.
chubbud22
4/8/08 3:41:16AM

Posted by WhiteWidow

they usually always go with the popular fighters or bias opinions and favorites nationalities ors race etc.... Nationalism = Racism, quite sickening we still live in a world like that but what can you do? too frusterating to hate the haters

I for one could care less what race or nationality someone is, and I will give people here on the Playground the benefit of the doubt. I think most people pick fighter on there skill level not what race they are.
scoozna
4/8/08 9:23:39AM
I also wonder how much overlap there is - how many MMAPG users are also making predictions on UFC's site...not that there's any way to tell.

I had signed up on the UFC site, but never participated. I like MMAPG better.
gsquat
4/8/08 10:05:30AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Pretty much dead even aside from the fact that we know who Cain Valasquez and Brad Morris are. The mainstream fans seem to be picking based on record.

We also have mre faith in Maia.

Those are the very two in which I've picked the "underdog". Though neither are really underdogs. From the clips I've seen, Brad Morris is more impressive.
CornishMMA
4/8/08 12:35:21PM
Props for that man, ive always meant to compare these, funny they dont know who Cain is, also a bit odd more dont go for Stout, i would of thought Casual fans would like him from that spike main event!
JimiMak
4/8/08 2:25:05PM
I don't think a lot of casual fans pick on UFC site either. The casual guys who jsut see events here or there or the new Kimbo fight on youtube don't know enuf lower tier guys to care, in my experience.
prozacnation1978
4/8/08 5:46:52PM
this site here is the best, has everything you need. i only do my picks and wagers on this site, but i have been wondering about the predictions as well compared to other sites online
jgtribbett
4/8/08 9:37:06PM
i would just say that we are more of the all around mma fan as opposed to just UFC
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/8/08 11:18:59PM
The results seem to suggest that despite our more generalized knowledge, we are not superior in our knowledge of predicting fights more than the average UFC (TUF) fan.

Sure wen the Valasquez match comes on we'll all know who he is, but other than that we have no advantage.
JBatch
4/9/08 2:45:18PM

The results seem to suggest that despite our more generalized knowledge, we are not superior in our knowledge of predicting fights more than the average UFC (TUF) fan.

Sure wen the Valasquez match comes on we'll all know who he is, but other than that we have no advantage.

I would say that its not that we don't know more than the casual fan but the UFC does a good job in telling the general population who they think/want to win each fight. Plus I think this UFC is a little more easy to predict than many other ones. There seem to be a lot of one sided bouts.
Evilwig
4/9/08 3:46:45PM

Posted by JBatch

I would say that its not that we don't know more than the casual fan but the UFC does a good job in telling the general population who they think/want to win each fight. Plus I think this UFC is a little more easy to predict than many other ones. There seem to be a lot of one sided bouts.

Yeah I think you're right. Usually, I don't have that much problem predicting the main event bout. But for some reason UFC 83, is the one I have a harder time with my prediction... And I'm in better position in the UFC than in the secondary league..
keith-hackney1
4/9/08 3:51:17PM
UFC
Matt Serra 14.7%

Playground
Matt Serra 14.7%

Man i love seeing this, serra the champ who ko'd gsp still despite the ko win is again the clear underdog. Not long now guys, til you all change your thinking on matt serra !!!

CornishMMA
4/10/08 6:56:24AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

UFC
Matt Serra 14.7%

Playground
Matt Serra 14.7%

Man i love seeing this, serra the champ who ko'd gsp still despite the ko win is again the clear underdog. Not long now guys, til you all change your thinking on matt serra !!!

I want my money back from you Keith
I remember you making loads of wagers on Serra back in the day, but only got like +300 from us I had a terrible UFC 69 and that just topped it off!

But no lightning wont strike twice, im a believer inb Serra and think he will beat Hughes and could beat alot of others but GSP wont mess around this time and win the safe easy way, quick TD and GnP