MMAmania.com Exclusive Interview with Dustin Hazelett

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMAmania.com Exclusive Interview with Dustin Hazelett
SmileR
5/6/08 12:15:46PM
Now that I’m fully rested from my Canada trip (and then some), I got back in touch with UFC welterweight fighter, Dustin “McLovin” Hazelett.

I had spoken several times with Hazelett over the last few weeks, trying to get him to comment on his upcoming fight with Josh “The People’s Warrior” Burkman. As instructed by the UFC, Hazelett wouldn’t comment on his next opponent until the fight was made official.

But this didn’t stop Burkman from throwing in his two cents in an interview with MMAWeekly.com. You can find those comments here.

Now that the fight is official, Hazelett opened up about the upcoming fight, responded to Burkman’s “I’ll even retire if it does go to a decision” comments, and even addressed his new nickname. The following interview is a conglomerate of our three previous conversations.

Dustin Hazelett faces Josh Burkman at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 7 Finale on June 21.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I’ve been trying to get you to comment on your upcoming fight with Josh Burkman at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale on June 21, but you wouldn’t budge. This didn’t stop Burkman from talking about it, though, including saying that he would retire if the fight goes to a decision. Do you find this disrespectful?

Dustin Hazelett: Yeah, I found it pretty insulting. I think it shows a lack of respect for myself. But also, he might be concerned with the UFC cutting so many people. With his last five fights going to decision, he might be worried about getting cut if he loses or goes to a decision. So I think that might be why he said that.

To me, I don’t think it matters if a fight goes to a decision, as long as it’s an exciting fight. Of course everybody wants to finish, but if it’s an exciting decision, I don’t think the UFC cares about that. So I think it was still a pretty insulting comment.

Link
jimmypockets
5/6/08 12:46:37PM
What Hazelett doesn't realize is that Burkman running his mouth is part of his cardio workout. ha ha Hazelett is slick on the ground and striking is decent. I will take Hazelett because of his hunger over Burkman and his mouth.
tepid55
5/6/08 12:52:42PM
Hazelett should win easily.
ohiostate1016
5/6/08 1:06:45PM
I like Hazelett, but who steals a nickname from a crappy movie that is less than a year old?
scoozna
5/6/08 1:10:46PM
I'll be picking Hazelett - if for no other reason than the t-shirt he wore last time "I'm not John Fitch so stop asking".

That's a classic right there.
SmileR
5/6/08 1:43:15PM

Posted by scoozna

I'll be picking Hazelett - if for no other reason than the t-shirt he wore last time "I'm not John Fitch so stop asking".

That's a classic right there.

Haha i forgot about that! What a tshirt!
billycarnage
5/6/08 2:58:28PM
I would also like to see more of Hazelett and less of Burkman. Burkman knows he can't hang with him on the ground so he will be going fo the KO.

Hazelett by flying Armbar
Pookie
5/6/08 3:17:25PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I like Hazelett, but who steals a nickname from a crappy movie that is less than a year old?

Superbad was one of the funniest movies ever made, i boo your sense of humor! BOO!!!!!
bustin_mma
5/6/08 7:06:46PM
Hazelett is a funny guy and pretty friggin slick on the ground. I dont think burkman will have to worry about going to a decision here, i bet he gets choked out cold by a triangle in the first 5 minits.
wolfman
5/6/08 10:22:51PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by ohiostate1016

Superbad was one of the funniest movies ever made, i boo your sense of humor! BOO!!!!!

I second this! I am booing this man once again!! BOO ohiostate1016!!! BOO!!!
bustin_mma
5/6/08 10:40:31PM
yes i agree superbad is superawsome
Kugel
9/17/08 5:02:46PM
Hazelett is a really good guy and awesome fighter with tons of potential.

And the nickname McLovin is one of my favorites!
saemskin
9/17/08 5:40:50PM
why are you resurrecting a 4 month old thread when there's another one about him that's recent?