MMA Training Equipment

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » MMA Training Equipment
Omega
3/7/08 1:14:14PM

I'm lazy so I cut and pasted this post from another forum I posted in. If you want to train for real here is the equipment I would recommend you get:

So I train guys for all aspects of martial arts; both sport and combat. One of the things that drive me crazy is the in ability to understand the differance of being smart and being tough.

Proper equipment. If you seriously want to train no matter what level you are you're going to need the proper equipment. Now I'm addressing non weapons stuff so don't get started on this.

1. Mouth piece. Chipped teeth are not fun to deal with.
2. Head gear-does not protect you from getting KTFO. It prevents cuts and reduces head trauma. Even if you're going light you should have your own unless you like to have ringworm on your face.
3. Boxing gloves: 12oz or greater. Even if you're into 'th3 r34l st33t r34dy' fighting you need to know how to deal with punches and alive training is the only way to do it. If don't train with somebody really trying to punch you won't react properly when the situation really arises.
4. MMA training gloves. See above and go to combat sport
5. MMA grappling and competition gloves. For more realistic training.
6. Shin pads. I don't care how well conditioned you shins are, you get to train more when you don't have bruises on your shin. I recommend grappling style.
7. Groin protector. I personally don't wear it but I"m a kung-fu master. I tell my guys no crying if get hit down there.
8. Headgear with face cage, for ground and pound practice.
9. A pair of thai pads
10. A pair of focus mitts. And learn how to use them.
11. A proper kickshield; and learn how to use it.
12. Chest protector; like the TKD style so can practice going to the body without hurting you partner so much.
13. Knee and elbow pads: how are you supposed to know how to throw elbows for real unless you can throw them in a reasonable facsimile?

I always have guys in the gym not wearing proper equipment. They get hurt and I'm like "great, you're going to be out 2 weeks because you were too lazy or you felt you were going light enough that you didn't need it".

Here's the original thread
Not for virgins
fullerene
3/7/08 3:49:17PM
Good list, although there's a few I don't think everyone needs. A few I was expecting, that I wonder whether you recommend:
* Hand/wrist wraps or tape (under gloves)
* Wrestling headgear (for ear protection)
* Jump rope
Omega
3/7/08 6:03:53PM

Posted by fullerene

Good list, although there's a few I don't think everyone needs. A few I was expecting, that I wonder whether you recommend:
* Hand/wrist wraps or tape (under gloves)
* Wrestling headgear (for ear protection)
* Jump rope

IMO opinion those would be optional but definitely good to have.