MMA full time?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » MMA full time?
alablangy
12/24/07 4:54:49PM
I've been doing mix martial arts since I was young, jumping from one game to another just can't stay with one. I've been looking to train mma full time but still searching for the right hardcore series mma gym that trains at least twice a day and 6 days a week. I trained in Thailand once but it wasn't really mma just muay thai and bjj no gi. So I was wondering if any one got any idea of where to train full time in a place that can prepare you for fights and most important that I can get a place to stay near the gym since I'm going to stay there just to train as it's my goal. If it's in USA, Brazil or London. Brazil ticket is very expensive and it's a bit danger there so I'll stick with US.

Would really appreciate your opinions.
fedorwins1
12/24/07 4:57:53PM
There are tons, where in the country do you live?
alablangy
12/24/07 5:03:17PM
i live in kuwait where we dont have any mma gym but I have a big vication from college for about 2 months and still searching for the right place to travel and train full time at.
alablangy
12/24/07 5:16:10PM
any ideas?
TimW001
12/24/07 5:29:11PM
I don't think anyone on this forum knows any MMA gyms in or around Kuwait.

Thailand sounds really sweet though.
loonytnt
12/24/07 5:35:54PM
when i fight i go to CA to train so if you want a gym there ok but none where you are
alablangy
12/24/07 5:46:21PM
I'm planing to move to US to train mma (not )in kuwait, but trying to find the right place for full time training in US, twice a day and ofcrs a place to stay next to the gym hopefully not very expensive. wanted to take your opinions, it dosen't matter what state it is as long as it's a fine gym worth traviling for.
fedorwins1
12/24/07 5:47:04PM

Posted by alablangy

i live in kuwait where we dont have any mma gym but I have a big vication from college for about 2 months and still searching for the right place to travel and train full time at.

Are you going to train for two months and then go back home? If so, do you plan on having a fight while you're here or is it just for fun? Some awesome places to train would be Xtreme Couture, Legends Gym, Miletich, and American Top Team.

It's kind of weird you don't want to travel to Brazil because it's dangerous but you live in Kuwait.... jk man have fun on your vacation.
alablangy
12/24/07 5:47:49PM
where at CA loonytnt?
loonytnt
12/25/07 2:34:43AM
team milleniam, in san bernadino

they train 2-4 and then 6-9 i think, great camp
alablangy
12/25/07 5:04:47AM
thanx for the help guys
fedorwins1 u defanitly need to read more about ku man

cheers
fullerene
12/25/07 11:42:13AM

Posted by fedorwins1
Some awesome places to train would be Xtreme Couture, Legends Gym, Miletich, and American Top Team.

If all you want is the best possible places to train, I think those are the types of places to look for. I'd add Greg Jackson's academy and AKA to that list.

Realisitically, though, you might not be able to get the type of sparring and exposure you're hoping for unless you know someone at these gyms or unless you have an impressive resume already. I'm sure they get a half dozen requests a day at Legends from guys saying "I want to be an MMA fighter, is Randy around to work some takedowns?" You'll probably get fed into a beginner's program at a large gym and it may take a a few weeks to prove that you belong at a more competitive level.
Svartorm
12/25/07 5:29:41PM
I think I understand what you're looking for, and unfortunetely, you're not going to find it in the US. It sounds like you want to find a "camp" where you more or less live and train like in Thailand, but that kind of thing doesn't happen in the US, or at least not at the moment. You might be better off in Europe, as you could stay in a Hostel and live on the cheap while you're there, but we don't really have that kind of set-up here unless you're looking to live in your car or something.
Mastodon2
12/25/07 6:51:28PM

Posted by Svartorm

I think I understand what you're looking for, and unfortunetely, you're not going to find it in the US. It sounds like you want to find a "camp" where you more or less live and train like in Thailand, but that kind of thing doesn't happen in the US, or at least not at the moment. You might be better off in Europe, as you could stay in a Hostel and live on the cheap while you're there, but we don't really have that kind of set-up here unless you're looking to live in your car or something.

Europe is a decent idea, but unfortunately I doubt it would work out. A the cheapest, worst hostels (no better than prison...maybe worse, at least you get food in prison) are like $30 a night. That doesn't sound like much, but its $210 a week, or $840 a month, and that most likely won't include food and it certainly won't include travel. And furthermore, you will get tsome of the best striking training in the world, the very best striking outside of Thailand, but you won't get any decent Jiu Jitsu or wrestling training, because in Europe, it's all Judo and Striking arts!

Outside of Thailand, there really is nowhere you can live and train in the same place. In Thailand you fight to earn your keep, the Thais fight hard and often. If you don't perform they are out of the camp. They don't get free living, for a start. Hence why some Thai's have literally hundreds of fights in their careers, compared to western fighters, many of whom never have over 50. 50 fights for a pro boxer is quite a long career (unless you are Sugar Ray Robinson). 50 fights for a Thaiboxer isnt that many really, Buakaw had like 200 before he went to K-1, Yodsaenklai has 217, Johmod Kiatadisak had 279!, Espescially impressive for Buakaw and Yodsaenklai, since they are both still young men!
Svartorm
12/26/07 12:05:51AM
Really? Most hostels I've seen (I'd never stay in one) were $8 a night when I was in Europe. Short of a cardboard box, thats about the cheapest way to live.
Mastodon2
12/26/07 7:26:13AM
Maybe I've just got expensive taste