mma and tattoo

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » mma and tattoo
HMA123
4/16/09 4:53:41PM
Im getting my first tattoo in a few days and usually train every day in MMA (grappling with people,sparring,etc). Its not a big tattoo, small if anything. And its going on my chest, but i was wondering how many days or weeks for that matter to take off after getting the tattoo? Anyone have any experience with something like this. And will lifting weights or breaking a sweat be bad for it?
grappler0000
4/16/09 5:02:07PM
I don't know much about tattoos...other than don't make it a sword.
Wolfenstein
4/16/09 5:12:29PM
I don't have any tats myself, but I train with a lot of guys who do, and the typical healing time seems to be about two weeks on average. It can vary slightly person to person, and wether the tattoo is in a spot where it will be flexed. Since yours is on the chest (and not an area that would be flexed as often as say the hand) two weeks should be adequate. I would double check with the tattoo parlor either way, as they've probably heard this question before from a collegiate wrestler or the like.
CwB
4/16/09 5:42:14PM
i dont train or any thing but i took a week off of lifting weights, and i know you cant go swimming for two weeks
bojangalz
4/16/09 9:32:16PM
Hot towel bro...Trust me. I'm in the process of healing my latest ink and it's the only way to go. Do it early and often.... Here's how it works.

Once you get home and get the wrap off your new ink; run hot tap water (as hot as you can handle) on a towel or wash cloth and ring it out almost completely. While the cloth is still plenty hot put it over your ink and apply pressure. It's gonna sting a bit, but won't hurt nearly as much as your tat did.

The wrap is going to cool very quickly, so you'll probably want to warm it up and repeat the process 2-3 times in succession. You can do this as often as you like, the more the better. It'll keep you tattoo from itching as it heals and you'll barely scab up at all.

For the first day or two cover the tat with a like layer of vasoline or A&D (which I prefer) and be sure to dab off the excess with a paper towel. Be sure to cover it with the same before you take a shower, and keep the showers short.

After the first day or two switch over to lotion. Keep using the hot towel until it heals up good.

The older ink I've had done took a week to 10 day to heal up good. My last to using this method took 5-7 days max.
Hendo67
4/16/09 10:27:49PM

Posted by bojangalz

Hot towel bro...Trust me. I'm in the process of healing my latest ink and it's the only way to go. Do it early and often.... Here's how it works.

Once you get home and get the wrap off your new ink; run hot tap water (as hot as you can handle) on a towel or wash cloth and ring it out almost completely. While the cloth is still plenty hot put it over your ink and apply pressure. It's gonna sting a bit, but won't hurt nearly as much as your tat did.

The wrap is going to cool very quickly, so you'll probably want to warm it up and repeat the process 2-3 times in succession. You can do this as often as you like, the more the better. It'll keep you tattoo from itching as it heals and you'll barely scab up at all.

For the first day or two cover the tat with a like layer of vasoline or A&D (which I prefer) and be sure to dab off the excess with a paper towel. Be sure to cover it with the same before you take a shower, and keep the showers short.

After the first day or two switch over to lotion. Keep using the hot towel until it heals up good.

The older ink I've had done took a week to 10 day to heal up good. My last to using this method took 5-7 days max.

Yep, pretty much what i was just going to say.
I basically do the same thing as you, though..i only have two tattoos on my right arm.
Aaronno9
4/16/09 10:57:17PM
Just wait till the scabs fall off. Even if it feels totally fine, but its still a little scabby, its going to ruin your tat if you go back to training and somebody knocks the scab off and the colour comes out. If you reeeaaally cant wait to get back into it though, id recommend lots of vasaline, then a layer of cling film, then a rash guard.