MMA Submission: An Interview With Dana White

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA Submission: An Interview With Dana White
grappler0000
6/5/08 5:19:40PM
Get a load of Dana White's schedule this week. The UFC president spent two days in New York on business, then flew right to London for this weekend's pay per view. Then he's flying back to New York for more meetings. "It's a little crazy right now," he says with a laugh. "But in a good way. This sport is blowing up."

The Mag caught up with him for a wide-ranging question and answer session about everything from this weekend's pay-per-view to Kimbo Slice. He couldn't answer some questions about pending deals (including an announcement he's planning for next week, an announcement he says will rock the MMA world). Other questions, such as his thoughts on Slice, he had plenty to say.

Link
grappler0000
6/5/08 5:24:26PM

I'm going to make an announcement next week that is going to blow people's minds. That deal is done, but my employees don't even know yet. I'm renting out a place next Thursday and I'm going to tell them. Then we'll make the announcement later that day. It's an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years.

Oh man, I can't wait to hear what the announcement will be. A network TV deal would be nice...can't think of anything else at the moment that would be considered mind blowing.
juanez13
6/5/08 5:44:37PM

Posted by grappler0000

I'm going to make an announcement next week that is going to blow people's minds. That deal is done, but my employees don't even know yet. I'm renting out a place next Thursday and I'm going to tell them. Then we'll make the announcement later that day. It's an indicator of where this business is going over the next five years.

Oh man, I can't wait to hear what the announcement will be. A network TV deal would be nice...can't think of anything else at the moment that would be considered mind blowing.

Hopefully I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!1
dstlvb
6/5/08 6:13:55PM
It would have to be one hell of a network deal for it to rock the MMA world and give a glimpse where MMA is going in the next 5 years.
seanfu
6/5/08 6:22:40PM
If it's fox I'm going to crap my pants. I will need a wetnap. If they aired TUF 1 and 2 or something and did events 3 or 4 times a year it would be huge.
xphycorx
6/5/08 6:33:46PM
i'm not going to get my hopes up. the last time dana said they have a huge announcement, it was the sponsoring deal with bud light. that's great and all for the ufc, but that doesn't get me all excited.
Bemin
6/5/08 8:11:02PM
This really smells like a network deal... Doesn't suprise me with the numbers EXC did on the weekend that the Network Suits were all over Dana this week. He said he was renting a place for his staff and telling him the news on Thurs, that to me sounds like "Ok guys its time to party cause we just did something pretty Major!!"

Man four UFC cards and 4 WEC cards per year on NBC would be off the hook!

Patiently crosses fingers and waits...
grappler0000
6/5/08 9:23:51PM

Posted by Bemin

This really smells like a network deal... Doesn't suprise me with the numbers EXC did on the weekend that the Network Suits were all over Dana this week. He said he was renting a place for his staff and telling him the news on Thurs, that to me sounds like "Ok guys its time to party cause we just did something pretty Major!!"

Man four UFC cards and 4 WEC cards per year on NBC would be off the hook!

Patiently crosses fingers and waits...

Don't think it would be NBC though, since Strikeforce already has a deal with them...it would have to be ABC or FOX.
gartface
6/5/08 11:02:14PM

Posted by xphycorx

i'm not going to get my hopes up. the last time dana said they have a huge announcement, it was the sponsoring deal with bud light. that's great and all for the ufc, but that doesn't get me all excited.

Yeah it was the bud light deal, and also the Mark Coleman induction. I hope it's tag team fights!
rabbit915
6/5/08 11:05:07PM
Everyone seems to think its a network tv deal but im curious if anyone else has any other possible ideas?

Im just going to throw out that maybe they are going to start allowing fighters to fight in other promotions or maybe that they are going to bring in the 145 and 135 divisions from the WEC.
seanfu
6/5/08 11:10:57PM
145 wouldn't mean anything to the UFC. Not until WEC is finally disbanded and most of the Asian organizations die.

Gotta either be fox or something.
lordicast
6/5/08 11:40:45PM
You know what i would love to see a point system in which you are giving a certain amount of points for each victory or loss to see where people are in terms of the #1 contender and have a published list so people cant claim favortism and would need to work them self up ladder....... Kind of like mario cart LOL
seanfu
6/6/08 3:12:48PM

Posted by lordicast

You know what i would love to see a point system in which you are giving a certain amount of points for each victory or loss to see where people are in terms of the #1 contender and have a published list so people cant claim favortism and would need to work them self up ladder....... Kind of like mario cart LOL

They have that.
lordicast
6/11/08 1:33:07PM
Well where i dont see it. What org?
bigbubbano23
6/11/08 2:13:17PM
i don't mind them changing networks but if they change the air times iam gonna be pissed.