A Way for MMA to take the next step - couture vs. fedor

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » A Way for MMA to take the next step - couture vs. fedor
ufc88
1/9/08 3:57:06PM
What needs to happen besides the obvious matchup is a mega match which involves co promotion between the ufc and M1. They could bring the sport to the next level by promoting it as a mega fight like a mayweather hatton type of fight with influence from Rocky 4. They could have a channel on tv sponsored by the ufc and m1 which is a 24 hour fight coverage and hype channel showing them training with fedor training in russia and randy in the usa - obviously with intense music. they could advertise the fight as a clash of thw two best in the world not only between them as fighters but as representatives of nations. The fight would be ideal to take place at madison square garden buffer could introduce randy and teh japanese guy/woman can introduce fedor. they should use a cage in the shape of a ring so its not too much like the ufc with the octagon. This fight could be massive all they need is to devote a 24 hour a day channel to this fight. so many people who arent big fans or fans at all would tune in snce it would be on all the time and the talk about it would be massive russia vs the usa . russia vs the usa has always been huge in hockey, in politics in everything and this fight could potentially epitomize that. they have to experiment with promoting one fight above all and give it way more weight than the rest of the card to see if the superfight would really bring it to the next level.
ufc88
1/9/08 4:00:05PM
as well they could hold press conferences will in advance and in different locations. in the US in Canada in Russia in japan in britain they would be able to capture the worlds attention. they would have to show dana and cox as rivals as well each representing their fighter and in the promotion adds show them bringing in their fightr without advertising it so much as cooperatiive work. Dana saying something like im bringing randy here to show the world and monty cox tha randy is the best heavyweight in the world and cox talking about fedor being the best
tuvok500
1/9/08 4:20:29PM
Well, the only thing that i will say is , why the UFC should give any credibility to M-1 by associating their big name with them ??

M-1 was not even able to have a TV deal in japan for their Fedor's return events .

K-1 was there to save the ass of M-1 and i really don't think that the UFC will help M-1 to compete against them !! lol

I prefert to not see them fighting instead of giving any chance to M-1 to compete against the UFC.

i want every top fighters in the same place to fight each others .

If 1 guy believe that the 300 others fighter in the UFC are CRAZY to have signed a restricting contract, well, i think that he is probably the one who is not normal.

Also, Couture should honor his signature and finish his contract as stipuled, he lost a lot of credibility since 6 month now.

Pitbull09
1/9/08 5:07:00PM
Won't happen this way at all. We already has a topic discussing how its a bad move for UFC to share promotions with M-1
sillysnail
1/9/08 5:12:32PM
if the ufc wants to kill m-1, they should start holding some pride events.
Pitbull09
1/9/08 5:16:42PM

Posted by tuvok500
If 1 guy believe that the 300 others fighter in the UFC are CRAZY to have signed a restricting contract, well, i think that he is probably the one who is not normal.

Also, Couture should honor his signature and finish his contract as stipuled, he lost a lot of credibility since 6 month now.

Agreed, Boxing was ruined because of fighters moving back and forth to different promotions. We never really can determine who is ranked where in boxing now because of that. Can you imagine if it got that bad in MMA? The pride/ufc merge has been the best thing for MMA in years as it put the questions to rest of who wins what fantasy match up as they came to life.

I also think Fedor moving to M-1 may have been one of the worst things to happen to MMA in years. He is going to be in a lower org that makes it impossible to find out where he stands in rankings. People may say hes the best but than again people were saying Cro Cop, Wanderlei, Henderson, and other Pride fighters were unstopable til the merge. They still are some of the greatest in my eyes, but when an org like UFC brings all the top fighters together, no fighter can stay undefeated..
saemskin
1/9/08 5:34:54PM
I think it's pretty clear that the Pride fighters were on the same level as UFC fighters. Not better, not worse... We have 2 belt holders that came from Pride, as well as some guys who were utterly dissappointing.

But Fedor fighting in K1 is simply not good for Fedor. He's fighting in a lower class of fighters that he is capable of, and that's going to show if he ever does make the move we all want. I'm trying not to be selfish here, because it really does bother me that I wont be able to see him fight, maybe ever. I see his obvious talent and it just kills me that each side didnt work just a little bit harder to make this thing work out.

Now, was it simply Fedor not willing to let go of his Sambo participations and UFC not willing to allow his potential of injury in said event? I can see both sides, but it makes my stomach hurt knowing he could be stateside whipping ass through the HW ranks. Which in my opinion, the UFC HW division is weak.
Pookie
1/9/08 10:53:45PM

fedor said the problems he had with the contract were that
1. If he didnt lose, he could never leave. The contract would automatically renew itself for the same salary i believe
2. If he did lose, the UFC had the right to rip up his contract at any moment. Granted they probably wouldnt, but still having that type on instability in your workplace is not wise, and in the long run would hurt your family
3. No sambo tournaments, and in russia... sambo is the national sport

and all of that for less money than M-1 was giving him.

IMO: Only a fool would choose to cement his legacy, over cementing his families finances and future.