Need some help with an MMA speech for college

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Need some help with an MMA speech for college
Bowen50
11/16/08 3:24:25PM
i am doing a persuasive speech for my communications class tomorrow. my topic is: Why MMA should not be considered "human cockfighting". i have a lot of information already but if you guys could provide me with more that would be awesome. try and focus on comparing MMA to other combat sports like boxing, and how it's safer. provide the link also because i have to cite my sources. props to anyone who helps me out
owen1
11/16/08 3:37:14PM
http://www.mmafacts.com/

This might help if you havn't used it already,its the website launched to help mma get regulated in NY.
grappler0000
11/16/08 3:46:15PM
Argument: MMA Rules!

Source: grappler0000
Bowen50
11/16/08 3:52:05PM

Posted by grappler0000

very compelling argument but for some reason i don't think i can make that 10 minutes long.
DCRage
11/16/08 3:54:25PM
Deaths in boxing over the last decade stemming from fight-related damage/injuries: Countless (not sure exactly how many but it's probably at least in the double-digits).

Deaths in MMA over the last decade stemming from fight-related damage/injuries: 2 (I think).
cmill21
11/16/08 4:05:22PM
Use examples of educated men like Rich, Cro Cop, ect fighting. You have a ton of guys who have fought for their country, served in police forces ect. I think your best bet is to focus on people like Rich who was a teacher or Cro Cop who served in the military, on special forces, played pro soccer, and was an elected politician, as well as guys like Lindland who was an olympian, people respect olympians. I guess what I'm trying to get at, talk about how they're not all bumbs off the street doing this as their only way to make money, if you can give examples that educated people choose to fight because it is a sport then maybe some people will get the point. Or you can just show them all the Nog videos from TUF, that man is a saint lol.
Rush
11/16/08 4:05:29PM

Posted by DCRage

Deaths in boxing over the last decade stemming from fight-related damage/injuries: Countless (not sure exactly how many but it's probably at least in the double-digits).

Deaths in MMA over the last decade stemming from fight-related damage/injuries: 2 (I think).

There are more deaths associated with Golf and NASCAR too

Someone else also wanted help with an MMA speech. Here is the thread

on the second pag eI made a bunch of comments that might help you.
nastshabast
11/16/08 4:19:33PM
...and more head injuries and carreer enders in Football.
jiujitsufreak74
11/16/08 4:37:45PM
talk about stand ups in boxing and how the rules in MMA make for less concussions. also note that the large glove in boxing is not designed to protect the opposing fighter, but rather the hands of the fighters which rules out the argument that boxing is safer solely because the gloves are more padded. long term damage is worse in boxing and talk about the new set of rules (well, revised from the former no holds barred type format) that make MMA a humane sport.
keith-hackney1
11/16/08 5:15:41PM
Don't forget to explain the difference between MMA 4oz gloves and boxing's 9oz gloves. Every UFC onlooker who has no knowledge in the history of the sport always criticizes the thought of smaller gloves being worn as a dangerous example to fighting where as the bigger gloves worn by boxers always seems to be a safer approach in their minds. It really bugs me that although an MMA fighter would be ko'd quick being hit by a strong guy with the baby 4 oz gloves, A boxer being ko'd is usually a result of an accumilative amount of harder thrown strikes which as statistics have proven, is more dangerous to the human skull than a quick clean ko. boxing injuries are more dangerous, there is much more risk of such injuries including swelling of the brain, blood clotts and even brain damage. Since the birth of MMA in 1993 there has not been one recorded serious life threatening injury that has been inflicted on a n MMA fighter where as in boxing, the serious life threatening injuries list goes up every year. Also point out that in boxing, the attacked area's are only the head and the body. Where as in MMA, as we all know, fights have been won without a single punch or a kick being thrown. MMA is the ultimate proving ground because it is the hardest and the smartest way to fight. MMA fighters train like no other athlete on the planet. They dedicate their body's and minds to the job of fighting.

Hope that will help
keith-hackney1
11/16/08 5:27:57PM
also note... Randy couture, got better with age, at 45 years old most professional athletes are long retired advertising cereal brands on tv for a healthy heart campaign. The like of randy couture and dan severn still competing. Who's to say what the average age limit will be to retire from MMA as that chapter in this sport is yet to be written.
dannyfrank
11/16/08 6:08:33PM

Posted by grappler0000

valid source
loller90278
11/16/08 6:48:53PM
i actually did a persuasive speech on that last summer. i might still have the PDF file of my speech. if i find it ill send u via PM
gravy13
11/16/08 7:25:33PM
I watched Manswers the other day they showed that of all the sports in the world Fishing causes the most deaths. I found that interesting. Maybe you could include that in your speech.