MMA RULES 101 WITH HERB DEAN

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA RULES 101 WITH HERB DEAN
MMAcca
6/29/08 4:57:18AM
Referee Herb Dean recently spoke with MMAWeekly.com explaining several rules that all mixed martial arts fans should know. The nine-year professional MMA referee broke down the rules for strikes to the back of the head, illegal elbows, allowing fighters five minutes to recover from illegal techniques, intelligently defending yourself, spiking and strikes to downed opponents.

Probably the most misunderstood rule in mixed martial arts is the illegal elbow strike. There is only one illegal elbow in MMA, and you can impact with the point of the elbow.

LINK
silverbullet
6/29/08 12:12:19PM
I hate to see fighters that have side control to turn their heads to face opponent's feet so they can avoid strikes to the head. I hate to see people turn over on their belly when mounted because the opponent cannot strike them to the back of the head. I hate when people stand on one knee so that their opponent cannot kick them in the head. This is not MMA, this is BENDING THE RULES.

People should be penalized for knowingly rolling on their belly from mount and turning their head away to make the opponent strike the back of their head. It's a bunch of B.S. if you ask me.
The-Don
6/29/08 2:18:26PM

Posted by silverbullet

I hate to see fighters that have side control to turn their heads to face opponent's feet so they can avoid strikes to the head. I hate to see people turn over on their belly when mounted because the opponent cannot strike them to the back of the head. I hate when people stand on one knee so that their opponent cannot kick them in the head. This is not MMA, this is BENDING THE RULES.

People should be penalized for knowingly rolling on their belly from mount and turning their head away to make the opponent strike the back of their head. It's a bunch of B.S. if you ask me.

I agree to a point.. I mean your on your back being punched you a bit dazed.. your natural instinct is to protect your face.. so you flip over and try to keep your face away from where the blows are landing.. that is why you notice the first shot or two to the back of the head is rarely warned after that it should be obvious to a fighter they are hitting the bck of the head and try something else
Figsak
6/29/08 4:38:08PM
hogwash.

It's not Vale Tudo, it's a sanctioned MMA event. They HAVE to conform to these rules to BE sanctioned in most states in the US. I personally prefer the Pride rules, and HATE the IFL and Srikeforce rules of no elbows to downed opponents. No elbows? WTF??

But if you want more brutal rules, blame the State Boxing Commissions.
PaleHorse
6/29/08 5:34:26PM

Posted by Figsak

hogwash.

It's not Vale Tudo, it's a sanctioned MMA event. They HAVE to conform to these rules to BE sanctioned in most states in the US. I personally prefer the Pride rules, and HATE the IFL and Srikeforce rules of no elbows to downed opponents. No elbows? WTF??

But if you want more brutal rules, blame the State Boxing Commissions.

We can thank the boxing commissions for most of MMA's setbacks, we can thank John McCain for some (don't you conservatives try and say shit to try and defend him, he got MMA banned back in the day, as much as you'd like to blame Bill Clinton for everything, it was McCain), we can also thank Nate Marquardt, Kimbo Slice, and Scott Smith for making this article possible. Marquardt needs to assess his methods, and I think that the one knee on the ground rule is BS, because half the time fighters stay on a knee just so opponents can't knee them (like mentioned above) its really just annoying when people manipulate the rules to win. MMA is supposed to be about the best fighter in the world and I believe it was Helio Gracie who said "The best fighters in the UFC today are not the best fighters in the world, but the best person at finding a way to win under the rules." (or some variation) I believe that is something that MMA needs to avoid at all costs is being so strict around rules that you're no longer the best fighter, but the best rule bender.

I think its safe to say none of the UFC champions today are disputable, each time one of them took the title it was a solid victory, but there are people who we are going to see more and more try and work their way to the top because of the rules. Even simple rules like a time limit can be an issue (look at the lay and pray guys) now thank god we have a time limit so their fight doesn't have to go on for any longer, but in the 5 minute rounds versus the old rules (and the DREAM rules) I think fighters manipulate that to an extent to win a match, whether its not tapping out to a choke that should have gotten in had the time not run out, etc. Rules are always going to be under question in MMA, which is why its best to keep as few as possible.
JimiMak
6/29/08 6:24:39PM
Using the rules to your advantage is not "bending" them at all. It's called smart fighting. Nate marquardt spiking right at the end of a rd hoping not to get called is bullshite.
GSPCanada
6/30/08 4:25:41AM
the rules are the rules and you got to find a way to win under those rules, ya guys turn their heads when mounted but when they do that they risk a rear naked choke right? or how many shots will the ref let them take to the side of the head (royce vs hughes) before stopping it, each move a fighter takes to avoid one kind of danger puts them at risk in another situation, Nate spiked thales because he knew herb wasnt gonna call i at the end of the round and had a chance to leave his mark on the end of the round