MMA Rankings LW-HW (Top 100); FW-Below (Top 50)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA Rankings LW-HW (Top 100); FW-Below (Top 50)
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
3/23/08 6:50:53PM
Fight Matrix, is a site thats uses a bunch of criteria (also listed on the site) to give the best statistical rankings out there. Its compleatly non-biased, its not so much who is better than the other guy...its who has performed better...basically is what true rankings should be.

Anyhow, they are the first outlet to provide a top 100 rankings for Lighweight-Heavyweight; and top 50 for Featherweight-Flyweight...and womens.

I personally think this is revolutionary, especially for fighters just starting their careers, because it gives them a plan on how to make a name for themselves and move up in the rankings. For instance, myself who is 2-0 can look at the middleweight rankings and be like...ok, I'm going to try and get a couple matches with somebody ranked in the 90-100 range. Ok, now I'm in the 90's...let me get some matches with people from the 80's...and so on.

There are so many Biased rankinsg out there. As in "who this group of people think are the best fighters"; Sherdog rankings are determined by Sherdog staff; MMA Weekly rankings are determined by MMA weeklystaff; FightMatrix rankings are determined by the fighters. Of course its still new. It'll take about 8 months for it all the even out (Gomi, Fedor will prolly move down by then due to criteria of time between fights, and quality opponents).

Anyhow, just thought i'd share. Its something thats new, thought you might enjoy.

BTW-I'm not associated with FightMatrix in anyway.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to add a link . Also they just list the top 100, they actually have a ranking for everyfighter who has ever fought. If you want to know what "insert fighter name here" is ranked...even if they have a 1-4 record, ask on the message board...they'll tell you (it goes into the thousands)
rabbit915
3/23/08 7:58:26PM
Yeah i love this site. I even help out run down random details about fights for them now and then. Its the best statistical ranking system ive seen by far. The guys who run it update it with results once a week usually and are very active on the forum and will answer any question you have about the system that day.
chubbud22
3/23/08 8:01:51PM
Pretty cool site
bls1919
3/23/08 8:26:09PM
Sweet site. Im going to start using it along with sherdog to research fighters to pick. Thanx for the info
ICSlegend
3/23/08 9:13:44PM
Cool idea, but the rankings just look silly to me.

Yoshida gets ranked top 20 HW when he fought mostly at LHW. And did he even ever win a HW fight? That's pretty dumb to just get ranked simply for competing and not winning.

Barnett holds wins over both Couture AND Nogueira, and Couture who has far more losses then anyone in the top 10, is 2? Doesn't make any sense. Werdum and GG have what 11-14 fights total against mostly cans and are ranked already? Is Werdum #4 on any other list?

The rest of rankings are silly as well.

F--K_Luck_AuH2O
3/24/08 2:23:38AM
Dude, they are true rankings. Rankings depict who is doing better at the time...not who can beat who...basically Barnett has fought once in the past year, and it wasn't against a good opponent.

The fighters are in charge of their own rankings, if Barnett wants to be ranked number one...then beat some top competition in a decisive manner on a regular basis. The only reason Barnett is as high as he is, is because he use to do all those things I just said...he'll continue to fall until he starts again.

As for Coutore, How are you going to hold somebody acountible for matches that happened 8 years ago?

Also, fighters are ranked in the division their last fight was in...because thats the division they are currently competing in. (unless its obviously a freak match IE: Lindland vs. Fedor)

Most people think that rankings are suppose to list the best fighters in order IE: who can beat who...thats not the case. Rankings are used to determine the top contenders and best fighters based on performance.

I mean Fedor can beat anybody; but if he only fights cans once a year for the rest of his career why should he be ranked number 1?

These rankings depict who is doing good now. The fighters are in complete control of their destiny's. Whats silly about that?
ICSlegend
3/24/08 12:37:00PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Most people think that rankings are suppose to list the best fighters in order IE: who can beat who...thats not the case. Rankings are used to determine the top contenders and best fighters based on performance.

Maybe your'e right, but I don't think so. Although I gree with the last part - PERFORMANCE. Should Couture be given a free pass to top 3 for taking an injured Sylvia to a decision? Should GG be given top 10 status for getting obliterated by Couture and Werdum after beating an unfocused CC.

I mean Fedor can beat anybody; but if he only fights cans once a year for the rest of his career why should he be ranked number 1?

Okay, if we are using that logic, then no HE SHOULD NOT BE RANKED #1. So why is he? Wouldn't Nog have to ranked #1 by this logic? The past should at least be weighed, as GG's dominance over cans. Not that impressive. If he had beaten Couture or at least Werdum, then I might agree.

These rankings depict who is doing good now.

GG is doing good "now"? Really? He just got destroyed twice, and is ranked agead of AA, who is on 3 fight win streak. beating a legitimate top 10 in Werdum and TKOd O'Brien. And yet GG is ranked higher for losing. How is this not silly?

Maybe some people agree with them, that's fine, maybe I'm just dumb for thinking a fighter should actually demonstrate skill with victory and have some impressive wins and not a huge loss column.

The fighters are in complete control of their destiny's. Whats silly about that?

Once again, I disagree. Contract disuputes and non-crosspromoting orgs and such keep fighters NOT in control of their destiny. Also, if Barnett, CC, and Couture all refused to fight Fedor, what can he do? He is not in control. Either fight someone who steps up (a can in most opinions) or just not fight. Just like now Couture is not in control and cannot fight Fedor. A lot of fighters were in limbo after PRIDE was sold. Not their fault.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
3/24/08 5:04:16PM
You make very compelling arguments. I agree with almost all you said.

The thing with GG is, he was on a very hot streak before even beating Cro Cop, then at the time he beat Cro Cop, Mirko was rabked top three...Gonzaga had earned himself alot of points. Then he lost to Couture...number 2...then Verdum...number 9. Both in good showings too. Gonzaga had already built so many points up for himself that it's going to take alot more than losing two bouts to top 10 fighters to knock him signifigantly down the rankings.
Pookie
3/24/08 5:13:27PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Once again, I disagree. Contract disuputes and non-crosspromoting orgs and such keep fighters NOT in control of their destiny. Also, if Barnett, CC, and Couture all refused to fight Fedor, what can he do? He is not in control. Either fight someone who steps up (a can in most opinions) or just not fight. Just like now Couture is not in control and cannot fight Fedor. A lot of fighters were in limbo after PRIDE was sold. Not their fault.

I agree 100%

Although in CC's defense he did have a foot injury that kept him from taking the fight. Barnett and Couture just simply said no.
ICSlegend
3/24/08 7:12:23PM

You make very compelling arguments. I agree with almost all you said.

The thing with GG is, he was on a very hot streak before even beating Cro Cop, then at the time he beat Cro Cop, Mirko was rabked top three...Gonzaga had earned himself alot of points. Then he lost to Couture...number 2...then Verdum...number 9. Both in good showings too. Gonzaga had already built so many points up for himself that it's going to take alot more than losing two bouts to top 10 fighters to knock him signifigantly down the rankings.

Thanks.

Well, imo you're right about a fighter not being booted from top 10 for one or two losses, but as you said before, FightMatrix is putting a lot of emphasis on "NOW". In which case, GG's two consecutive losses shouldn't have him that high, especially after being TKOd twice by a JJ guy, and his hot streak of mostly cans, not including any top 10s besides a CC who was not top 10 material that night. How many points did CC get for beating Barnett three times? I would say should be more then GG for beating no-names. And Couture only fought 2 guys at HW in the last 5 1/2 years since losing 2 in a row to Ricco and Barnett. Silly rankings.

And I think the real point is, its too hard to make a perfectly objective ranking system, and FightMatrix is just way off imo. The justification is just not there.