MMA Quick Quote: Frank Shamrock is a fight fixer and a robber … not a legend

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA Quick Quote: Frank Shamrock is a fight fixer and a robber … not a legend
SmileR
4/10/09 5:47:29PM
“I know he doesn’t want to go to the ground with me ’cause I’d tap him out quick and probably embarrass him. So he’ll try to trade strikes. I don’t mind…. We’ll like I said he’s weak on the ground so he’ll be doing everything to keep it standing. He thinks he’s a great striker and I want to see how great…. He’s not a legend to me. Back in the day he was fighting fixed matches in Japan and supplementing himself with who knows what. Before that he was in a California Youth Prison for robbing houses. If that’s your idea of a legend you might want to reassess your thinking.”

– Nick Diaz tells TheMMAFiend.com how he really feels about former UFC middleweight champion and mixed martial arts pioneer, Frank Shamrock, in a recent interview. Shamrock and Diaz are slated to touch ‘em up tomorrow night (April 11) at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, Calif., during the main event at Strikeforce: “Shamrock vs. Diaz.” And it can’t come soon enough — the two have traded back-and-forth barbs for months. Now it’s time to let the fists fly and let them do all the talking inside the cage.

Link
Jackelope
4/10/09 6:09:13PM
A Diaz brother questioning the ethics of another mixed martial artist? Hmm... I'll leave that be.

Anyway- I love watching the Diaz(es?) and the Shamrocks fight. I am not emotionally attached to either fighter, but at the same time I can't think of two guys who I'd like to see get hit in the face much more than these two, so it should be a great fight!

We all knew the trash talk leading into this matchup would be legendary haha
KingCmb
4/10/09 6:11:23PM
Franks gonna put a whoopin on the youngen
Red-Dragon
4/10/09 6:20:08PM

Posted by Jackelope

A Diaz brother questioning the ethics of another mixed martial artist? Hmm... I'll leave that be.

Anyway- I love watching the Diaz(es?) and the Shamrocks fight. I am not emotionally attached to either fighter, but at the same time I can't think of two guys who I'd like to see get hit in the face much more than these two, so it should be a great fight!

We all knew the trash talk leading into this matchup would be legendary haha

I don't like either of them but Nick has never said or acted like he is a legend. I think that's the point.
chickmagnet
4/10/09 6:22:18PM
Diaz is awesome. I hope he wins saturday. I agree with him. If it hit the ground he will tap him out.
lohmann
4/10/09 6:33:39PM
Frank Shamrock hasn't been submitted in 15 years. I don't foresee Diaz ("He thinks he’s a great striker and I want to see how great…") being the fighter with the ability to manhandle a larger Shamrock and break that streak.

I'm still unsure if Shamrock will win though; he could be outpointed, which is the only way I see Diaz winning tomorrow night.

Aaronno9
4/10/09 6:59:34PM
Haha, Diaz is awesome. I just feel like Shamrock is a bad match up for him though. Ill be rooting for him all the same, hopefully he finds a way to pull it out.
Shawn17
4/10/09 8:11:40PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Diaz is awesome. I hope he wins saturday. I agree with him. If it hit the ground he will tap him out.

Diaz is an overhyped joke. He couldnt take down a 160lb KJ Noons and got tooled standing up. Shamrock will smash him standing. Diaz must be delusional if he thinks hes going to be the guy to submit Frank Shamrock. Renzo could do nothing but hold Frank down and hes a much better jiu jitsu player than diaz. Diaz punches are laughable, cung lee was headkicking shamrock and couldnt KO him I doubt diaz's slap boxing will do anything. Diaz's shot is joke, and like shamrock said he has no head movement. I really dont see how diaz walks out of this fight a winner.
Pookie
4/10/09 8:32:35PM

Posted by Shawn17

Diaz is an overhyped joke. He couldnt take down a 160lb KJ Noons and got tooled standing up. Shamrock will smash him standing. Diaz must be delusional if he thinks hes going to be the guy to submit Frank Shamrock. Renzo could do nothing but hold Frank down and hes a much better jiu jitsu player than diaz. Diaz punches are laughable, cung lee was headkicking shamrock and couldnt KO him I doubt diaz's slap boxing will do anything. Diaz's shot is joke, and like shamrock said he has no head movement. I really dont see how diaz walks out of this fight a winner.

But anyway Id have to say Diaz won the trashtalking battle, he threw some haymakers in this interview.
slapshot
4/10/09 9:18:51PM

Posted by Shawn17

Posted by chickmagnet

Lets bet something, Ive got Diaz DESTROYING shamrock anywhere the fight ends up. Just wondering where do you pull ur stats from? I mean if anyone has a beter striking record its Diaz by a mile, shamrocks record proves he himself has little striking power so heh.
hippysmacker
4/10/09 10:56:28PM

Posted by Shawn17

Posted by chickmagnet

Stop the fighter bashing. I am certain you are capable of making your point without all the hyperbole. " overhyped joke" , "deliusional" ," Laughable" . Consider this a warning.
bls1919
4/11/09 12:54:13AM
I have to agree with Diaz. In the last 10 yrs shammy has fought 7 fights. He is a tough guy standing, but Diaz will tear him up on the ground.. Diaz has superior BJJ IMO. If he stands with Shamrock, it could be a long boring fight. Although Diaz has Kod Lawler. I have Diaz picked by sub in the 2nd
StorminYourman
4/11/09 3:09:50AM

Posted by Shawn17

Posted by chickmagnet

There is MMA BJJ and standard BJJ the diaz boys are great at the MMA side while Renzo is more standard. It is all how the submission transition into your MMA game. Nicjk Diaz has a strong possibility of tapping Frank. Do not kid yourself.
As for Frank he got frustrated by being outpointed with Renzo and looked for an easy way out with the DQ IMHO.
Aaronno9
4/11/09 9:15:08AM

Posted by Shawn17

Posted by chickmagnet

Tbf, neither of the Diaz bros really shoot takedowns anyways, they look for trips. So that point is pretty invalid.
gnl68
4/11/09 11:42:01AM
I think along the same lines as Jackelope. Nothing better then 2 guys who both got thier heads up thier ass.My problem with Frank is that he talks a great game and yes he has fought tougher guys.How would Diaz have fared against El Guapo.Yes its been years,but Frank can roll with Diaz.Standing though i am not sure who really better. Diaz's little roll wrist punch's are not going to overcome Frank.I think this fight will be a tough one for both though.Ego's play a big part when things don't go the way planned.So with that in mind,I'm hoping for a double ko at the same time!!
slapshot
4/11/09 4:38:12PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by Shawn17

Posted by chickmagnet

Tbf, neither of the Diaz bros really shoot takedowns anyways, they look for trips. So that point is pretty invalid.

Good point and I actually wish they would go train with a camp that has good wrestlers as I think if they ever did add the takedown to there games it would make either brother 10 times more dangerous.

I just dont think he will need to take shamrock down, he can work his reach and pick frank apart IMO.
loonytnt
4/11/09 9:27:16PM
i dont see diaz losing this fight, frank is going to get tap'd imo
slapshot
4/12/09 3:39:52AM
Nick DOMINATED frank and tko'd him in the second round, why? "Because we cant do this all day!"