MMA Quick Quote: Fedor Emelianenko has ‘no technique’ when it comes to striking

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA Quick Quote: Fedor Emelianenko has ‘no technique’ when it comes to striking
SmileR
1/3/09 3:06:36PM
“He’s flat-footed, has no technique, but he can punch. That always helps. He’s accurate. He’ll follow you right to the floor, so he’s aggressive. But that aggressiveness can be used to our advantage, I think.”

– Freddie Roach — the world famous professional boxing training savant — tells SI.com that WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko lacks technique when it comes to his stand up game. He says what the Russian cyborg lacks in that department he makes up for with his accuracy and aggressiveness (see Sylvia, Tim for the most recent example.) Roach is currently working with Andrei Arlovski to refine his striking and prepare him for a possible cross-over to the sweet science. Emelianenko and Arlovski will collide in the main event at Affliction: “Day of Reckoning,” setting up one of the best heavyweight match ups in a very, very long time. For what it’s worth, Emelianenko is more known for his crafty and tight submissions … not his striking (at least recently). He is also known to be a bleeder. Can Arlovski find holes in his game and open up a hole in Emelianenko’s face? Will the former Pride FC deity once again answer the call and quiet the critics? What say you?

Link

Heres the Link to the full article
bustin_mma
1/3/09 3:20:27PM
I dont wanna critisize Freddie Roach the guy is a genius. but Fedor's striking has been provin in MMA over and over again, And if he connects with a good one Arlovski will be in bad trouble. Tim Sylvia Put him in that kinda trouble Rizzo dit it aswell, And im sure we all seen what Fedor did to Tim.
postman
1/3/09 3:21:59PM

Posted by bustin_mma

I dont wanna critisize Freddie Roach the guy is a genius. but Fedor's striking has been provin in MMA over and over again, And if he connects with a good one Arlovski will be in bad trouble. Tim Sylvia Put him in that kinda trouble Rizzo dit it aswell, And im sure we all seen what Fedor did to Tim.

Thats how I feel Who am I to say Freddie Roach is insane?
Wolfenstein
1/3/09 3:27:39PM
Fedor doesn't have the tight refined technique of a boxer, but he definetely has his own style that works effectively. He's trained with top strikers like Ernesto Hoost and outstanding thai coach Ruslan Nagnibeda. He's probably the only fighter that throws a hook and consistently lands with the inside of his hand. This allow him to get much btter range on his hooks, but it's also why he consistently has hand injuries.

To say he has no technique at all is ignorant, and Fedor is the last guy you want to underestimate. He hasn't been outstriking K-1 level strikers just because he's more aggressive and has a good punch--I think that much is clear.
nickcuc547
1/3/09 3:29:10PM
fedor's punches are loopy, if andre can peg him right down the middle with a quick jab he has a chance, but i think it ends on the ground any how.
HumanTarget
1/3/09 3:31:40PM
Fedor doesn't need to worry about Roach at all. Boxing is a completly different sport than MMA including the striking aspect.
cmill21
1/3/09 3:39:45PM
He should have said boxing, roach doesn't know much about the complete striking world. I'm getting tired of hearing roach talk about mma, and I like him lol.
JimiMak
1/3/09 4:10:21PM
He doesn't have "clean technical boxing" techniqu. he does have plenty of his own styled technique. And it's proven very effective, including against some top strikers w/ the "cleaner boxing technique". I think the view of guys like Roach helps FE because the guys that are getting trained are getting trained to underestimate his technique (possibly). This is a sport where you can't use typical boxing technique because you have to be worried about takedowns etc. I don't think AA's boxing will be too big of a problem for him.
cmb19932
1/3/09 5:08:40PM
he doesn't have great boxing per say but what he has works for him and while i think if AA can control the pace and make it slow and maybe just keep the jab going he may have a good chance at taking this one but that's a big if because you cant control the pace against fedor due to how aggressive he is so we shall see
jiujitsufreak74
1/3/09 5:27:51PM
i'll take Ernesto Hoost's word over Roach's word any day of the week. Hoost has said that Fedor has the striking ability to clean out K-1, and i don't care what a boxing coach says when a K-1 legend says that.
loller90278
1/3/09 5:54:59PM
i'm with mr. roach on this matter. i always thought that striking would be fedors downfall, and although he is fast, accurate and strong; i think a good counter puncher that throws shots down the pipe will rock him. theres no doubt in my mind that andrei will look to be the aggressor, and make fedor fight backing up where he can't generate much power. after seeing AA's dedication, i think the chance of him KO/TKO'ing fedor is pretty high.
seanfu
1/3/09 6:10:49PM
If Fedor wasn't so naturally talented and an all around beast he would be exposed. The guys striking is just a pepper to get it down. The problem is the pepper is super hard so people think it's great MMA striking.

Gi style JJ was very effective in the first years of MMA but that didn't mean they were MMA great. Now shit's outdated. So don't get it twisted.

Think about how old school JJ, GnP, and traditional (karate/ tai kwon doe) striking has become outdated.
Manak
1/3/09 6:32:37PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i'll take Ernesto Hoost's word over Roach's word any day of the week. Hoost has said that Fedor has the striking ability to clean out K-1, and i don't care what a boxing coach says when a K-1 legend says that.

gotta agree with u on this one, plus how many fights has fedor been in where he was losing the stand-up game. may not be the best technique but doesn't matter when ur that good.
Bobbymma
1/3/09 9:27:14PM
Fedor may not be the best boxer, but he gets the job done.
wrona666
1/3/09 10:06:32PM
just because his striking is not tequnical like a boxer doesnt mean it isnt good. this is MMA not boxing, and his aggressive MMA striking seams to be working out pretty good for him if u ask me..
GrandMaster313
1/3/09 10:28:47PM
Well for someone who has "no technique" he sure seems to be arguably the best fighter anyone has ever seen in MMA history !

WAR FEDOR!
Aether
1/3/09 11:09:29PM
man Freddy is a boxing genius but the comments that have been coming out of his mouth recently really illustrate how little he understands MMA. A lot of people seem to think that because there is punching in both sports that they must somehow be similar. They're not. Not even close.

He obviously has pretty effective technique if he's outstruck more than just a couple top shelf K-1 fighters and never been legitimately defeated. It's nice that Freddy is helping fighters to improve their boxing skills but he doesn't seem to understand that MMA and Boxing are apples and oranges... I'm a big BJ Penn fan but his comment about BJ having the best striking in all of MMA was pretty crazy as well IMO. Using a normal boxing stance makes it significantly harder to stuff a takedown.
Pitbull09
1/4/09 1:15:49AM

Posted by bustin_mma

I think AA's standup has improved significantly since his fights with Sylivia. He is more calm and doesnt force anything. His boxing was crazy good with Rothwell but that really says nothing as Rothwell is nothing compared to Fedor. I agree with him that Fedor doesnt have the technique but he hits hard and there is really no elite technically strikers in the HWs that he fights other than Mirko.

In the end, we can argue all day about who wins striking but after AA's last fight, we see that if Fedor gets side control, he is going to lock up that kimura and end the fight. AA better has A game takedown defense.
colescar
1/4/09 10:45:25AM
As much as I like the Pit Bull, I don't see him having much of a chance here. I hope he lasts longer then Tim just cause I would enjoy watching Fedor fight more of a long fight.

And as far as his striking goes, that quote is just Crazy!! I think it is all just the trainer trying to get it in Andrei's head that he is the better striker. Its kinda like when your watching a fighter get his ass whipped and then between rounds you hear the corner man saying things like "your doing great".

Fedor has no technique, thats crazy. Fedor is like a huge Anderson Silva. He is like water that can flow in any direction at any time. In a way, he is beyond technique.

Just the way I feel. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think so.

Fedor round one submission. Similar to the Silvia fight only a little bit longer.

icantthinkofanything
8/5/09 10:17:05AM
I agree Fedor is not a good technical striker. He is an excellent and agressive brawler, like Wandy "axe murderer" Silva was in pride. Fedor throws wild punches, is flat footed, and has no knowledge of 1-2 punching. All the fighters in the UFC have more technical striking and can usually take apart other leagues best brawlers inside the cage. Since Fedor is having nightmares of Lesnar breaking his face into little russian pieces, we will never know. Fedor is not #1 p4p anymore!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1