MMA Quick Quote: Affliction out in three?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA Quick Quote: Affliction out in three?
MMAcca
7/19/08 6:40:00AM
“Our plan is to do three events, and if we’re successful with those, then we’ll continue and go from there. I’m in business to make money, not lose money. We’ll see how it goes.”

– Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio tells the Chicago Sun-Times that his upstart promotion could call it quit after three shows if the profits aren’t living up to expectations. It took the UFC — the top organization in the business — several years to begin making money. In addition, other promotions such as Elite XC and the IFL, which have been around much longer than Affliction, have yet to turn profits. There is literally a lot riding on the “Banned” debut tomorrow and the next to shows if Atencio sticks to his guns.

LINK
Darnok
7/19/08 11:13:42AM
Does anybody else have the problem where if the link is too close to the accolades then you can't click on the link.
Darnok
7/19/08 11:16:56AM
I really don't see them making money in the first three events. Not with what they are paying the fighters. But with Trump backing them I see them sticking out longer.
SpiderSilva
7/19/08 12:10:18PM
Trump will pull out quick if he doesnt make money whick is vary likely even more likely the way the UFC has put them in a bind be having a free show the fisrt PPV that gonna really hert I don't know anyone arould who knows about the Affliction show tonight but they sure do know free UFC tonight
Rush
7/19/08 12:14:05PM

Posted by Darnok

Does anybody else have the problem where if the link is too close to the accolades then you can't click on the link.

Yeah, only if it is right beside it. This one is ok though.
prozacnation1978
7/19/08 1:19:26PM
at these they are smart to get out beofre they get in too deep
out in three showcase the heavyweights and watch the ufc snatch some up next year
JimiMak
7/19/08 1:38:15PM
At least they have a great business plan
Twenty20Dollars
7/19/08 1:43:45PM
lets hope they only do 3 and then UFC signs some of their guys. and affliction is done.
Stills79
7/19/08 2:05:37PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

lets hope they only do 3 and then UFC signs some of their guys. and affliction is done.

Why would you have any reason to want Affliction to fail? Competition for the UFC is good..
RNC
7/19/08 3:46:08PM

Posted by Stills79

Why would you have any reason to want Affliction to fail? Competition for the UFC is good..

The UFC would much rather be a monopoly.
MMAcca
7/19/08 3:54:01PM

Posted by Darnok

Yeh i get that. Fixed.
Darnok
7/19/08 4:34:19PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Darnok

Yeh i get that. Fixed.

I thought it was to keep dummies like me busy for 20 min.
bullettdodger
7/19/08 5:28:50PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by Stills79

The UFC would much rather be a monopoly.

Well yeah, thats what the UFC wants, but thats not really what is best for MMA, like all business, competition, the invisible hand of the market is always good for the consumer...us
jakeiceman
7/19/08 7:34:32PM
Competition is great, it already got us a very good free card tonite....with that said, I think Affliction will last for two cards and call it quits....and I think consequently the thier clothing brand will suffer as well.