Should MMA promotions/commissions allow fighters to smoke Marijuana?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Should MMA promotions/commissions allow fighters to smoke Marijuana?
Lungsofsteel
2/27/13 5:05:32PM
They allow them to use TRT which is in my opinion is a PED. Also what advantages do you get from smoking Marijuana before your fight?
Travesty145
2/27/13 5:37:21PM
no. fuck no. trt shouldnt be legal either. its legal steroids
BeeR
2/27/13 5:46:33PM
they should all blast a bong during the ref checkout/pat down.
then fight.
postman
2/27/13 5:54:11PM
Depends if its legal medication within that state. Also the fighter would need to hold a medical card.
Tyzzler
2/27/13 6:04:04PM
Of course they should, this bs with Riddle getting cut over smoking is ridiculous. Like many have said before, it hinders your performance if anything, it definitely doesn't increase it. If they want to get high that's their own prerogative. They let all of them get drunk whenever they want don't they? And just because it's a "legal medical card" within the state is a joke stipulation to bypass the stupid federal law that outlaws it in the first place. Argue marijuana VS alcohol all you want, but I've never woken up next to a hyena where I can't remember what happened in the last 24 hours after a bong hit. Alcohol is far more of a detriment to a fighter's behavior that could result in bringing bad attention to Zuffa as a corporation. Let them smoke.
Lungsofsteel
2/27/13 6:04:28PM

Posted by postman

Depends if its legal medication within that state. Also the fighter would need to hold a medical card.

and make sure the commission knows, thats a lot of stuff to do for some weed tho lol, worth it in the end for the fighter
Poor_Franklin
2/27/13 6:23:20PM

Posted by Tyzzler

Of course they should, this bs with Riddle getting cut over smoking is ridiculous. Like many have said before, it hinders your performance if anything, it definitely doesn't increase it. If they want to get high that's their own prerogative. They let all of them get drunk whenever they want don't they? And just because it's a "legal medical card" within the state is a joke stipulation to bypass the stupid federal law that outlaws it in the first place. Argue marijuana VS alcohol all you want, but I've never woken up next to a hyena where I can't remember what happened in the last 24 hours after a bong hit. Alcohol is far more of a detriment to a fighter's behavior that could result in bringing bad attention to Zuffa as a corporation. Let them smoke.

i think marijuana can make training easier. i use it for running (cardio) & even know a few guys who use it when lifting weights. just bc it isnt the norm, doesnt mean it can't help certain people's performance.

it also depends, on what kind of bud you're smoking.

not arguing it should be legal or illegal, as i truly dont know, & i def find it to be much better than alcohol, but it does not hinder everyone's performance
jjeans
2/27/13 6:33:12PM
News? Really? General MMA Talk - I should be an admin
Lungsofsteel
2/27/13 6:37:04PM

Posted by jjeans

what are you talking about dude it has to do with mma and its an arguable matter
Poor_Franklin
2/27/13 6:39:21PM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Posted by jjeans

what are you talking about dude it has to do with mma and its an arguable matter

the news forum has different rules of posting LINK
OnyxShadow
2/27/13 6:46:28PM
Make it all legal. The sooner they have fighters with cyborg arms, the better.

Marijuana being banned is just dumb.
tcunningham
2/28/13 12:52:31AM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

They allow them to use TRT which is in my opinion is a PED. Also what advantages do you get from smoking Marijuana before your fight?

first off, TRT IS NOT A PED. taken correctly and monitored by the commission and doctors, TRT will get fighters the hormone levels they should be but are not. i cant believe people still think TRT is a PED. testosterone is a hormone and if someone's levels are low than it needs to be treated like any other medical condition. the only time it becomes a PED is if its abused, same as any prescription medication.

as for weed, i dont think its a PED but bottom line is if the commission says NO, then these fighters need to not fucking do it or they'll get prematurely cut like riddle.
jae_1833
2/28/13 12:56:07AM
Agree or not it is illegal and until the law changes smokers are screwed...a lot of employment agencies screen for it too. I used to smoke before I joined the military and in particular used it after lifting. It increased my appetite which was important to a skinny kid trying to get buff. It also relaxed me so that I could sleep well which helps muscle recovery. This combo added over 60 pounds of lean mass to my frame in about a year and a half. So I think it can be beneficial, as much so as any supplements I could buy.
shaneTpain
2/28/13 1:34:48AM
I think everyone should be allowed to smoke marijuana all the time the world would be a much better place
postman
2/28/13 10:22:20AM

Posted by shaneTpain

I think everyone should be allowed to smoke marijuana all the time the world would be a much better place

Truth. I also think some ppl should be forced to
Theoutlaw08
2/28/13 10:36:55AM
No. Its just like any job. You cant be using. Its a rule. Some fighters are just way too dumb to follow it. As much as I would love to get high, my job doesnt allow it. I would love to keep my job, so i dont break the rules. Its very simply.
Lungsofsteel
2/28/13 1:37:18PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

No. Its just like any job. You cant be using. Its a rule. Some fighters are just way too dumb to follow it. As much as I would love to get high, my job doesnt allow it. I would love to keep my job, so i dont break the rules. Its very simply.

if they did allow it like they allow TRT would you?
airkerma
2/28/13 3:51:30PM

Posted by tcunningham

first off, TRT IS NOT A PED. taken correctly and monitored by the commission and doctors, TRT will get fighters the hormone levels they should be but are not. i cant believe people still think TRT is a PED. testosterone is a hormone and if someone's levels are low than it needs to be treated like any other medical condition. the only time it becomes a PED is if its abused, same as any prescription medication.

Sorry man, but this is pretty far into the atmosphere. If they take anything to improve anything then it is a PED. You are literally taking it to enhance your performance to the level it used to be. So yes, it is a PED. However, like you said if taken correctly and monitored, it is within reason to say that fighters may use it (still enhancing their performance, but within reason). I may be incorrect, but I believe you are allowed to have up to 4:1 levels, when normal is 1:1. Already that should send up a red flag, because it isn't "replacement" therapy anymore, it is enhancement.

As for the "employers can choose not to employ such people", that's fine and all, but firstly it isn't the employer doing the testing (and no, not just sending you off to some place to get tested), it is the commission. They are the ones making the rules regarding these tests, whether or not the employer decides to cut someone as a result is up to them. The issue at hand is that one drug is clearly used to enhance performance, and is considered acceptable even at elevated ranges (provided you have your little doctor note). This is the true issue, should a fighter be able to get an exemption for reefer madness provided they can get some doctor to sign off on it? If the commission says no (which should also send up a red flag, as they seem to have no problems with elevated levels of testosterone as long as some guy in a white coat says it's okay), then all fighters who test positive will have their fights overturned if they win. My take on this is the commissions may very well be in Pharm's pocket, or else they would either have a zero tolerance policy or not allow people to blatantly abuse the system.

airkerma
2/28/13 3:53:33PM
Also I would like to point out the amusing juxtaposition that a smoking marijuana thread was started by someone with the handle "LungsofSteel"
Theoutlaw08
2/28/13 4:00:32PM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Posted by Theoutlaw08

if they did allow it like they allow TRT would you?

No, I grew out of that phase of my life. I was big into it during high school and a year or so after. Then i decided to give it up.
Bubbles
2/28/13 11:38:41PM

Posted by airkerma

Sorry man, but this is pretty far into the atmosphere. If they take anything to improve anything then it is a PED. You are literally taking it to enhance your performance to the level it used to be. So yes, it is a PED.

so then taking creatine, protein powder, energy drinks, gatorade, or w/e are PED's too no?
airkerma
3/1/13 10:43:42AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by airkerma

Sorry man, but this is pretty far into the atmosphere. If they take anything to improve anything then it is a PED. You are literally taking it to enhance your performance to the level it used to be. So yes, it is a PED.

so then taking creatine, protein powder, energy drinks, gatorade, or w/e are PED's too no?

If you think gatorade is a drug then I suppose anything is possible. I could rephrase my sentence to make it more explicit, but playing dumb regarding a steroid vs protein shakes really isn't particularly persuasive. As for creatine, that is a bit more relevant, though it's effects are much more tame than an anabolic steroid, you could certainly consider it a form of a PED by the literal definition. The difference is, one is over the counter and not banned, the other is the opposite. My original point, which you excluded, was that in no way can you consider testosterone artificially introduced to the body not a PED.
Bubbles
3/1/13 11:55:31AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by airkerma

If you think gatorade is a drug then I suppose anything is possible. I could rephrase my sentence to make it more explicit, but playing dumb regarding a steroid vs protein shakes really isn't particularly persuasive. As for creatine, that is a bit more relevant, though it's effects are much more tame than an anabolic steroid, you could certainly consider it a form of a PED by the literal definition. The difference is, one is over the counter and not banned, the other is the opposite. My original point, which you excluded, was that in no way can you consider testosterone artificially introduced to the body not a PED.

mission accomplished

btw I forgot to include the ...ma bad