Has MMA Playground changed how you watch MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Has MMA Playground changed how you watch MMA?
Manfred
2/26/07 1:31:48AM
I noticed something during this last weekend. I was rooting for guys I PICKED rather than guys I WANTED to win. For example, I've never liked Gomi, but because I picked him, I was pissed that he lost.

Same goes for Sergei. I'm a big fan of his, and as the "night of the upset" unfolded, I was worried he would lose too. Not because I'm a fan of his, but because I had wagers on him and was worried about my stats.

Anyone else notice this?
aceprone
2/26/07 1:51:10AM
Actually for me, it made the night even that more exciting. And just for the facts that you mentioned. I was happy that Diaz won, but pissed off at the same time.. haha, got to love it! It toys with your mind and heart. haha... But like I said, I just think it made the night more exciting and emotional because for me I was willing to put my opinion on the fights and have something to show for it.

And the other positive is that it forces me to be more knowledgable on the fights and actually do some research on fighters that I probably wouldn't normallyl look up.
hippysmacker
2/26/07 1:57:52AM
I f it were real money it would affect me. I bet on football all the time, and unless someones playing my favorite team( who I never bet against-I just won't bet in the game if it looks like a bad matchup) I'm rooting for them. Football is the only sport I love more than MMA.Still, if it's late in the season and 2 teams that 3-12 are playing I just can't get excited about it without a bet.If it turns about to be a great game I'm still stoked. However, when there is very little riding on a game that doesn't affect my team I'm not that excited about even turning it on. Last night I found myself stoked even though I don't like DIaz and bet against him, because I really hope this make Pride stop having non-title matches. I like Hendo,picked Wandy, but took bets on hendo because the odds were great. I twas a win-win situation. I'm picking Sylvia , but hope Randy wins. Basically what I'm saying is if it's not real money I don't care as much. This is just for fun to me.
bayonetxwork
2/26/07 7:50:49AM
damn straight. When Trigg decided to lay on Misaki, I was like "Chaching 20 points in the bank!" Too bad thats more than half the points I got, from one fight
Violentcuv
2/26/07 10:01:02AM
Even though it's free I still get into it a little more than I would if I didn't do these Wagers. It gives you a new reason to watch.
HartFoundation2
2/26/07 10:57:35AM
I wasn't able to order the ppv, but me and my cousin both picked Diaz. When we were on sherdog reading the results we went crazy when we read Diaz won. MMAplayground has definatley made MMA a lot more fun for me. Which is hard to believe since I love it in the first place.
deadcore
2/26/07 11:03:26AM
Yes it has changed the way I watch it. I never before watched while nude and covered in cheese whiz
DirtySouthBoss
2/26/07 1:53:00PM
it does make it a little more exciting,but I see what you are saying. I voted against fighters I like and went with others that looked better on paper. I think I am going to switch a lot of my next picks because I find myself wanting guys I dont like to win because I have fake money on it here. Im going to start going with my heart instead of my head because the glory will be much higher.

Dadaman
2/26/07 2:04:48PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I f it were real money it would affect me. I bet on football all the time, and unless someones playing my favorite team( who I never bet against-I just won't bet in the game if it looks like a bad matchup) I'm rooting for them. Football is the only sport I love more than MMA....

...Basically what I'm saying is if it's not real money I don't care as much. This is just for fun to me...

how i feel verbatim

The only thing that has changed is that now it is slightly more rewarding when my fighter takes a fight cus I gets e-dollars for it!
SteedTheDeed
2/26/07 4:48:19PM
i picked misaki but wanted trigg. most m picks were off on 33 though. But it does give a little incentive on who i want to win.
keith-hackney1
2/26/07 5:30:19PM

Posted by HartFoundation2

I wasn't able to order the ppv, but me and my cousin both picked Diaz. When we were on sherdog reading the results we went crazy when we read Diaz won. MMAplayground has definatley made MMA a lot more fun for me. Which is hard to believe since I love it in the first place.

Diaz was the choice of the night for me, overeem is responsible for giving me a ross pointon mma record of 3-5. tosser !!!
ac_gi
2/26/07 6:10:50PM
I used to watch MMA like I it was a tutorial or something. It's becoming more fun, and less "study time."
crimethinc
2/26/07 8:20:00PM
It changed the way I watch just because I am completely consumed by this site. I've never watched a fight like Trigg and Misaki on the edge my seat screaming outloud to hold out for a decision. Thanks Trigg your U Dec. nabbed me 20 pts.
Ydoc
2/26/07 11:20:54PM
Sounds like your conflict is picking guys you think will win instead of guys you want to win, but I'm on the other side of the token backing guys I like, so hopefully it doesn't backfire for me too much.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
2/27/07 6:14:11PM
I have usually been rooting for the guys I picked, even b4 this site. My friends and I bet on everytning. We bet on definitions of words and grammatical crap. Pretty much any disagreement during a conversation becomes a bet with us.
Infused
2/27/07 7:28:08PM
Yeah it def. has for me, and i don't like it. From now on i'm picking my favs instead of the better guy on paper.

It does make it even more exciting thouhg, which is always good.
Thalzaar
2/27/07 7:29:22PM
This site has changed the way I watch MMA some. I typically root for the guy I favor to win anyway. However PRIDE had me screaming at the show and I had to log on to this site so i could remember what round and finish I picked so I could root for 'em haha. When Gomi hit Diaz with that big shot that put him on the mat, I was screaming COME ON FINISH IT FOR 20 POINTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! lol

I've always enjoyed watching MMA, but this site just adds lots of extra flavor to the matches and makes it even more enjoyable.
EEKS
2/28/07 12:30:47AM
Yea i got caught up in the waging aswell, for example i picked Gomi over Diaz because for me Gomi was the better fighter on paper, eventhough i wanted Diaz to win. Personally it was quite conflicting cause sometimes you root for your favorite fighter to win while you are contradicting yourself in here betting on a guy you dont really care for.
tlangley
11/27/07 11:03:37PM
lol yeah i've noticed it too. i'm haveing trouble choosing the Chuck-Wandy fight
Boo_Radley21
11/27/07 11:26:15PM
It hasn't really had a big effect on me. I mean if I do really bad on an event i get frustrated and all but while I'm watching it I still root for my favourites even if I didn't pick them on here.
Pitbull09
11/28/07 12:01:56AM
That use to bother me but now I only pick guys that I want and believe can win. Also I'll then bet money against the guy I picked so either way, im happy/ MMAplayground has made me more aware of lower promotions and fighters than anything else. I love the game they made cause im very compeitive and it only makes watching UFC more exciting./
stickyhash421
11/28/07 12:48:31AM
sometimes it tells me where to watch fights for free. thanks yall
Svartorm
11/28/07 6:17:26AM
Wow, that was confusing. I didn't realize this was and old thread at first, and was wondering where Manfred saw Gomi fighting recently.
fullerene
11/28/07 7:48:57AM
Changed for me and I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. It really struck me when Couture. I had my pick and my bet on Gonzaga and so did most of my team. I was really pissed and disappointed when Gonzaga lost and then it struck me that I should be really happy because that was a great win (and an upset in my eyes) by a fighter I like a lot more than Gonzaga.