MMA photography: My ten best shots

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA photography: My ten best shots
SnapLocally
4/15/08 9:08:10PM
There's a slim possibility some of you may have seen these shots before...

Sammy "The Squeeze" Morgan

Muscle Shark

Ando at Minneapolis seminar

Huerta, Thul (promoter), Menne, Brock Larson and Lil' Evil

featured photo in current issue of TapouT Mag

Brad Imes first gogoplata victory and MMA Worldwide magazine "Submission of the Year"

papercut
4/15/08 9:18:43PM
nice pics
SnapLocally
4/15/08 9:42:24PM
Thanks. I just shot a few events in your state, too:

La Crosse and Superior
wolfman
4/15/08 10:02:14PM
Nice pictures man.
babytater03
4/15/08 10:26:04PM
Some really great shots there. Love it.
SnapLocally
4/15/08 10:35:24PM
Thanks guys.
themmadigest
4/15/08 10:40:05PM
Great pics. Really captured the moment.
JimiMak
4/15/08 11:48:14PM
Great pics. Glad I clicked, I thought it was just gonna be your fav shots you've seen. Keep up the good work.
SnapLocally
4/16/08 12:46:06AM
Thank you and thank you. I appreciate your viewership.

By and large, the fighters I shoot have been by biggest fans, and I figure I've got something special when I got a guy who happened to lose his fight as a customer.
Jackelope
4/16/08 2:07:38AM
MMA needs great photographers. Keep up the excellent work!!!
mrsmiley
4/16/08 7:25:35AM
Those are realy good pictures.

Though the picture of Sherk looks like he's from a bad magic show with the purple lighting and that big Owl on his shirt.
SnapLocally
4/16/08 10:07:25AM
Thanks.

I've shot bad magic shows, too:

Evilwig
4/16/08 10:09:46AM
awsome pics, is your work published?
SnapLocally
4/16/08 10:42:44AM
Thanks. Yeah, I've been published a few times, though the novelty has worn off for me. For me, getting published was a goal at one time, but unless I'm getting paid, or better yet hired, it's kind of a dead end. Magazines will take free pics from photographers all day long; if fact, they prefer it. I was paid for the Imes/gogo pic, as they came to me asking for it, but it took some negotiating. That said, I get myself far more publicity through the internet with things like Myspace and forums such as this than being published in a non-interactive stack of shiny papers.

Evilwig
4/16/08 11:16:07AM

Posted by SnapLocally

Thanks. Yeah, I've been published a few times, though the novelty has worn off for me. For me, getting published was a goal at one time, but unless I'm getting paid, or better yet hired, it's kind of a dead end. Magazines will take free pics from photographers all day long; if fact, they prefer it. I was paid for the Imes/gogo pic, as they came to me asking for it, but it took some negotiating. That said, I get myself far more publicity through the internet with things like Myspace and forums such as this than being published in a non-interactive stack of shiny papers.

Wow. I didn't know that Magazines were getting pics for free. I guess Peter Parker taugh me wrong all those years
xchickox
4/16/08 11:28:30AM
they are really impressive, great photos
SnapLocally
4/16/08 11:39:53AM
Thank you.

Magazines- My dealings were with TapouT and MMA Worldwide in particular (they're owned by the same company), but I've had this confirmed elsewhere: MMA mags don't pay, or pay horribly when they do. In fact, I was told

"We never have paid for photos. Everyone is always happy with the
exposure."

Mind you, this was when they came to me for work.
Evilwig
4/16/08 6:31:29PM
I read Fight! I hope they are better at dealing with photographer or I will think about not renewing my subscription....
mrsmiley
4/16/08 8:02:19PM

Posted by SnapLocally

Thanks.

I've shot bad magic shows, too:

LOL.
SnapLocally
4/17/08 11:46:04AM
Evilwig- I don't know how that mag treats photogs. But, I did just send them an email to see if they're interested in acquiring my services, though this mag as many others generally don't cater to regional MMA shows, regardless of the workmanship of the photographer.
SnapLocally
4/21/08 12:14:14PM
Here's some new shots from last Thursday:

Evilwig
4/21/08 1:44:13PM
have ever taught of making a coffee table book of your stuff. I would buy one!
SnapLocally
4/21/08 11:37:29PM
I figured I'd be in a book sooner or later, but my own? That's kooky talk.
Evilwig
4/22/08 12:35:19AM
you`ve got to believe :)
I mean it`s not like there is tons of photo book about MMA and since it`s getting bigger everyday. Now it`s the time!

I mean you`re picture are nice and since mag don`t pay why not create your own opportunities.
Evilwig
4/22/08 12:41:37AM
I mean if that guy can sell his book for 3500.
Surely, you can make one affordable and it can be a success too...