MMA Pet Peeves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA Pet Peeves
« Previous Page
saemskin
12/13/07 9:57:48PM

Posted by Rush
I'll list my #1 peeve
Joe Rogan

That guy can't talk like a normal person and doesn't know anything more about MMA than most of the people on this site.

I also hate it when fighters/commentators (or they are made to) say cliches like, it's a war, it's a chess match, I'm going to impose my wil, etc.

I think you are way off with the "doesn't know anything" comment. The guy has a brown belt in jiu jitsu, a black belt in tae kwon doe, and actually trains with guys. His insight as to what is happeing and what each fight needs to do to improve their position is usually right on.
Besides Randy Couture, I think he's probably the best candidate for the announcing position because he has great knowledge of what is happening as well as a true enthusiasm for what is happening.
Rush
12/13/07 11:32:04PM

Posted by saemskin

I think you are way off with the "doesn't know anything" comment. The guy has a brown belt in jiu jitsu, a black belt in tae kwon doe, and actually trains with guys. His insight as to what is happeing and what each fight needs to do to improve their position is usually right on.

I have a black belt in jujutsu, brown in aikido and blue in judo and I also train with guys, but that doesn't mean much. In fact, most of the comments that Rogan makes, IMO, are pretty obvious and are mostly reserved for the ground game.

I know he says a lot of stuff on the fly and that isn't the easiest thing, but I have heard a few comments that are down right silly and incorrect.

To me Rogan doesn't add anything to the experience and I would rather watch the fight without commentators.
saemskin
12/14/07 7:12:13AM
new matchup

Rush vs. Joe Rogan

!!!!!
mrsmiley
12/14/07 12:26:58PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by saemskin

I have a black belt in jujutsu, brown in aikido and blue in judo and I also train with guys, but that doesn't mean much. In fact, most of the comments that Rogan makes, IMO, are pretty obvious and are mostly reserved for the ground game.

I know he says a lot of stuff on the fly and that isn't the easiest thing, but I have heard a few comments that are down right silly and incorrect.

To me Rogan doesn't add anything to the experience and I would rather watch the fight without commentators.

I agree 100%.Sometimes on fightnights I actualy turn the tv down and play a CD.On PPV's it doesn't matter because everyone is drunk and loud and you can't hear Rogan and Goldberg anyway.
Rush
12/14/07 1:46:21PM
Actually I would do that Smiley, but I like hearing the corner (except for Serra) shout stuff and hearing the impact of the strikes. Oh well, it will probably never happen, unless the commentary is recorded on another channel and the DVD lets you turn it off.
saemskin
12/14/07 3:36:01PM
It's funny you say that because I have a studio in my basement and I out the tv through those speakers.
There was a fight a few months back where one guy had the other pinned on the ground against the cage and was punching his head as it lay on the mat.
You could fully hear the *thump* *thump* *thump* out of my speakers!

We all looked at each other, "was that his head making that sound?"

YES!

hahahaha
richieb19
12/26/07 10:22:17AM
Here it is again, this time SD is the culptrit:

Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures)'s uncertain clash with Randy Couture (Pictures) gives way for a confirmed fight as the most compelling offer of 2008. Fluid strikes versus fierce fists. Deceptive Brazilian jiu-jitsu versus Olympic-level wrestling. Lots and lots of clinch game.

Emelianenko is a Sambo/Judo fighter. NOT BJJ!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]