MMA Pet Peeves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA Pet Peeves
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Mastodon2
4/25/07 2:58:25AM
I cant stand Nick Diaz.

My hate is for the Fertittas. They acquired the best MMA organisation in the world, Pride FC, then started sucking talent out of it and then forced their rules on it, spoiling it and bringing it down closer to UFC level. ******* vampires.

Rush
4/25/07 12:08:10PM
Here's one that is bound to spark debate and it goes for all sports, etc.

I am peeved by bandwagon jumping. i.e. a fighter that would hardly raise eyebrows, then wins one fight against a top fighter and all of a sudden everyone is their biggest fan, saying that they knew about their talent all along...... blah blah blah

Something else that peeves me is judging a fighter solely by their last fight.
pv3Hpv3p
4/25/07 12:42:38PM

Posted by Rush

Something else that peeves me is judging a fighter solely by their last fight.

with this and the bandwagon jumping comment... But more along the lines of people that will so hastily jump off bandwagon's as appose to jump on them...

You never know when a fighter is going to break out, and it's immposible to call all of them... I'll admit that after his KO of Lil Nog, I was immpressed with Soko, but after he destroyed Arona I'm on the wagon... That's just how the game is played, IMO
Rush
4/25/07 1:07:30PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p
But more along the lines of people that will so hastily jump off bandwagon's

Very true. I agree with this also.
chentay2112
4/25/07 10:31:47PM
my biggest peeve is fighters who disrespect other fighters whether you like them or not they have the balls to step into the ring/cage that should say something about them
give them the credit they deserve
Shin_Skillet
4/27/07 3:21:02AM

Posted by hippysmacker

1. Fans who boo when a fight goes to the ground
2. Refs who either don't stop a fight when they should, or stop one early-catch 22
3. When fighter's get tangled in the ropes
4. Jerry Millen, nuff said
5. Fighter's who immediately try to discredit their opponent after a loss
6. have to agree- fighter bashing
7. have to agree - Too many people turn on a guy after a loss-Wandy, GSp, etc.
8. have to agree- Joe Rogan is very knowledgeable IMO. Also, his enthusiasm seems genuine to me. Just a fan with a dream job.
9. have to agree- No one is unbeatable, but I think Fedor is the closest thing to it.

free ufc's that have commercials between every freaking round.

[edit]
I should also add..
people that bash ufc because it isn't pride or vise versa
MethodMan
4/27/07 7:25:06AM
I Agree with the bandwagon thing, personally I need to see a guy fight 3 or 4 times before I decide I like his style of fighting, personality etc and become a fan. One thing that is a shame is great talents like BJ penn seem to get only title or top contender fights, then if they lose or even win they seem to disapear. This seems to have happended to quite a few exciting fighters, who have personality and talent, and dont conform to the badass metel loving tatooed fighter bad boy image which is so bloody stale now anyway.
Rush
4/27/07 8:36:14AM

Posted by MethodMan
One thing that is a shame is great talents like BJ penn seem to get only title or top contender fights, then if they lose or even win they seem to disapear. This seems to have happended to quite a few exciting fighters, who have personality and talent, and dont conform to the badass metel loving tatooed fighter bad boy image which is so bloody stale now anyway.

Very true, very true.

Not only the tatooed metal heads, but the hip hop versions as well. Man, at the GSP seminar last Sunday I thought it was a hip hop skateboarder convention.
MethodMan
4/27/07 9:36:38AM
yep how about having guys who are up for a laugh and enjoy themselves both in and out the ring, instead of just going around with a fake frown all the time because they are fighters and that is their image, staring people down and snarling, Woof.

Just look at Sakuraba he played in the ring and was not afraid to try new techniques or just make stuff up as the fight went along. Genki with his Bruce Lee impersinations and crazy stuff put more people off their game than any dumb stare down. Jason Miller always seems to be enjoying himself in the ring, even when he is taking a beating. Carlos Newton had that crazy dragon ball z stuff that he did before and after fights but it did not take away from the fact he was a capable fighter and at least made him memorable. Half of the fighters who go around with a constant scowl on their face thinking they are bad asses and the next big thing will not even be remembered in 5 years time.
Rush
4/27/07 11:23:56AM
We need more geeks in MMA.
CwB
4/27/07 12:00:42PM

Posted by MethodMan

yep how about having guys who are up for a laugh and enjoy themselves both in and out the ring, instead of just going around with a fake frown all the time because they are fighters and that is their image, staring people down and snarling, Woof.

Just look at Sakuraba he played in the ring and was not afraid to try new techniques or just make stuff up as the fight went along. Genki with his Bruce Lee impersinations and crazy stuff put more people off their game than any dumb stare down. Jason Miller always seems to be enjoying himself in the ring, even when he is taking a beating. Carlos Newton had that crazy dragon ball z stuff that he did before and after fights but it did not take away from the fact he was a capable fighter and at least made him memorable. Half of the fighters who go around with a constant scowl on their face thinking they are bad asses and the next big thing will not even be remembered in 5 years time.

Just because a fighter has a straight face doesnt mean there acting tuff most of them are just concentrating on there fight. Ya some fighters do come out with a mean face on but if thats what it take to get the fighter in the right mental state then who cares. Some people need to be pumped up and act tuff to fight.

My pet peeve though is Frank Trigg he just bugs me.
pv3Hpv3p
4/27/07 2:23:18PM

Posted by Rush

We need more geeks in MMA.

We've always got Luke Cummo
pv3Hpv3p
4/27/07 4:09:15PM

Posted by Shin_Skillet

free ufc's that have commercials between every freaking round.

I dont know if you remember not 5 years ago, it was immposible to see MMA on TV period, except for a PPV every other month or so...

I don't like sitting around watching commercials either, but now we have Spike doing UFC stuff, FSN showing Pride, the IFL on my29, BoDog on ION (full Cage Rage 21 replay on sat on ION, too)... It's like a dream come true...

Maybe I'm just old school or whatever, but I don't know how you can complain about free MMA
PeteD
5/1/07 4:33:29PM
1: Joe Rogan
2: Nick Diaz
3: Lay and Pray
madmarck
5/1/07 6:40:41PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

I agree that Fedor isnt invincible IMO hes the closest thing to it. People always jump off the bandwagon when a superstar loses. Look at GSP, all the haters crawled from under their rocks to add their 2 cents about how overrated he is.

Something about the UFC that grinds my gears is not being able to knee downed opponents. When a guy is in the north/south position you should be able to knee to the face IMO

I have to say. Haters are fricking panzies! Prior to Arlovski losing to Tim, he was the man and not one bad word was said about him. As soon as he lsot, he was apparently overrated and a crappy fighter. Same with GSP. Same with Wand. Same with Cro Cop

F-Dat. Those are four great fighters. Im still gonna liek em no matter what you say.

PS: I only ever bring up Fedor to irratate people.
JimiMak
5/1/07 10:32:26PM
I've gotta say I'm hatin all the Joe Rogan hate. He has worked for the company since long before Zuffa owned it. He rolls w/ alot of these guys, which is more than 99% of us can say. He knows his stuff. To say he doesn't know any more than the people on this site, is to say he doesn't know any more than long time students of the game, it isn't a bad thing. Look at the small pool of MMA announcers, a lot of ppl say take Bas or Quadros but they don't even seem to be options right now.
My peeve is Goldie he, to me, sounds like a boxing announcer. He sucks, he's been doing this so long he should know as much about it as I do. Rogan gets high and dances circles around him as an announcer. Sure he panders to the newbs, but the way this sport is growing he has to. They would tell him to if he didn't.
They want these numbers to compare to football one day, that'll never happen if they don't educate a whole new generation of newbs. Kinda sucks but we all caught on early we have to deal to a certain degree.
JimiMak
5/1/07 11:02:15PM
I gotta agree with Manfred about the "ultimate kickboxing" thing.
Gotta disagree with the sylvia crapping his pants thing. That's true dedication, to have that happen and not even have it effect your game is great. He even won a boring decision. Then he admitted it before anyone even heard the rumor. Props to Tim on that.
PeteD
5/1/07 11:13:14PM

Posted by JimiMak

I've gotta say I'm hatin all the Joe Rogan hate. He has worked for the company since long before Zuffa owned it. He rolls w/ alot of these guys, which is more than 99% of us can say. He knows his stuff. To say he doesn't know any more than the people on this site, is to say he doesn't know any more than long time students of the game, it isn't a bad thing. Look at the small pool of MMA announcers, a lot of ppl say take Bas or Quadros but they don't even seem to be options right now.
My peeve is Goldie he, to me, sounds like a boxing announcer. He sucks, he's been doing this so long he should know as much about it as I do. Rogan gets high and dances circles around him as an announcer. Sure he panders to the newbs, but the way this sport is growing he has to. They would tell him to if he didn't.
They want these numbers to compare to football one day, that'll never happen if they don't educate a whole new generation of newbs. Kinda sucks but we all caught on early we have to deal to a certain degree.

I'm not saying he doesn't know his stuff, I know he does, I just find his voice and his commentary irritating. Some of the stuff he says is just stating the obvious and that's what I find annoying.
JimiMak
5/2/07 12:27:52AM

Posted by PeteD

Posted by JimiMak

I'm not saying he doesn't know his stuff, I know he does, I just find his voice and his commentary irritating. Some of the stuff he says is just stating the obvious and that's what I find annoying.

Voice is all personal. I like his voice better than Mauro's. I also think the woman from PRIDE was unique and didn't mind her like some do.
In a sports commentator all you can really ask for is a) someone who knows what he's talking about b) things like stating the obvious are par for the course. Pro commentators have to say a certain amount of "obvious" (to us) stuff. They do in every sport. They are expected to fill all air time w/ their voices, even when action would dictate just watching. They can't be quiet for a second and can't have scripts or anything, it's all off the cuff. I don't mind his typical New York/ northeast accent/ attitude. I'm from the northeast tho. Some ppl can't stand it.

I think he's the most qualified person that is realistic for us to see. Also where he has worked for them for so long I don't think his job is in any danger, no matter how much internet flak he takes.
PeteD
5/2/07 12:54:00AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by PeteD

Posted by JimiMak

Voice is all personal. I like his voice better than Mauro's. I also think the woman from PRIDE was unique and didn't mind her like some do.
In a sports commentator all you can really ask for is a) someone who knows what he's talking about b) things like stating the obvious are par for the course. Pro commentators have to say a certain amount of "obvious" (to us) stuff. They do in every sport. They are expected to fill all air time w/ their voices, even when action would dictate just watching. They can't be quiet for a second and can't have scripts or anything, it's all off the cuff. I don't mind his typical New York/ northeast accent/ attitude. I'm from the northeast tho. Some ppl can't stand it.

I think he's the most qualified person that is realistic for us to see. Also where he has worked for them for so long I don't think his job is in any danger, no matter how much internet flak he takes.

Ya, I got to agree with you there.
ohiostate1016
12/13/07 1:30:26AM
Seeing some random guy's fighter rankings on a message board. Who cares?
Djbb
12/13/07 2:04:32AM
My biggest MMA pet peeve? Not being able to reach through my computer screen and knock the Sherdog community upside the head. I once read a thread where they said you can judge a fighter's ability off his staredown Oh and Pride on FSN. I love Pride and I like how they're trying to keep it in fans memories but they cut out like 80% of the fights. I remember one episode they showed Frye vs Takayama and I called my friend Alex into the room cause he had never seen it, I was like "Dude you gotta watch this fight they do nothing but pound the shit out of eachother, ******* FSN showed like 15 seconds of the fight. Another thing that pisses me off about Pride on FSN is that they go to random shots of the crowd and stay there for a really long time. Frank Trigg will be screaming in the background "MASSIVE RIGHT HOOK!" and the camera will be focusing on some ******' Japanese dudes face in the crowd
mrsmiley
12/13/07 8:16:17AM
Pet peeves

Joe Rogan
Joe Rogan
Joe Rogan
Dana White
Dana White
Dana White
Mike Goldberg
The Death of Pride

That about sums it up for me.Oh yeah Sherdog too.
Rush
12/13/07 8:54:43AM
I'll add to this one.

When fightes apologize for a decision win/loss.
madmarck
12/13/07 9:02:20AM

Posted by PeteD

Posted by JimiMak

Isnt that what the sport needs? How is someone not knowing any ground fihgting gonna come in and understand how subs work?
I had to explain to my little sister that a armbar actually does hurt. She honestly didnt understand how a guy could tap...... so i told her to bend her armbackwards.... she couldnt go very far, now look how far Din got Jeremy Stephens arm back... yeah that hurts.
CWall33
12/13/07 9:05:49AM

Posted by Djbb
Another thing that pisses me off about Pride on FSN is that they go to random shots of the crowd and stay there for a really long time. Frank Trigg will be screaming in the background "MASSIVE RIGHT HOOK!" and the camera will be focusing on some ******' Japanese dudes face in the crowd

This is a HUGE peeve of mine. Also, they always use the same crowd scene no matter what fight they are showing. I swear I've seen that clip of that one black dude smiling at the camera during at least 10 different fights.
candynuts
12/13/07 9:14:51AM

Posted by CWall33

This is a HUGE peeve of mine. Also, they always use the same crowd scene no matter what fight they are showing. I swear I've seen that clip of that one black dude smiling at the camera during at least 10 different fights.

You best respect Herschel Walker!!!

But yea, that stuff is annoying, especially that teary-eyed girl with her hands over her mouth too!
CWall33
12/13/07 9:15:40AM
I hate it when someone defends their favorite fighter's KO loss by saying the other guy got "lucky". I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "lucky punch". The punch was thrown with the intent to do damage, and it succeeded. No luck involved.

It also irritates me when someone says they "hate" a certain fighter. I can see disliking someones personality, or their fighting style, but Hate? Pretty strong word to lay on someone that you have never met.

And how about the idiots that say, with much confidence, that a certain fighter "sucks". O-kay. I'm pretty sure that no "sucky" fighters have ever made it to a top level event.

To sum it up, my peeve is listening to idiotic, ignorant, brain dead people talk about MMA as if they have a clue about what they are talking about.
CWall33
12/13/07 9:16:47AM

Posted by candynuts

You best respect Herschel Walker!!!

Is that who that was? I've been wondering about that for quite a while now.
cowcatcher
12/13/07 11:16:00AM

Posted by CWall33

Posted by Djbb
Another thing that pisses me off about Pride on FSN is that they go to random shots of the crowd and stay there for a really long time. Frank Trigg will be screaming in the background "MASSIVE RIGHT HOOK!" and the camera will be focusing on some ******' Japanese dudes face in the crowd

they do that because they cant/wont show kicks on the ground, it really kind of ruins the match for me when im watching and that happens.

my pet peev-goulets hair, does he pay for that haircut?
Pages: 1 [2] 3