MMA Pet Peeves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA Pet Peeves
Next Page »
richieb19
4/15/07 12:13:42AM
We all have certain things that broadcasters or fans alike say that just rub us the wrong way... Personally with me it's when people reffer to submission or ground skills as Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu abilities. Now by no means am I putting down BJJ as a suitable ground related TMA, but I feel that when people reffer to the ground aspect of MMA in such a way it disrecpects Judo, Sambo, Catch, Wrestling, etc. and all other ground players and their backgrounds. Grappling is grappling, simple as that.

Fedor, and the "fans" that support him also irritate me. Again, I'm by no mean putting down Fedor or his abilities, I fully undertand why anyone would concider him number one pfp or HW in the world... however I do see it as naive for many fans to see him as unbeatable. Many fighters have been at the very top of the MMA echelon, and yet now most are seen as hasbeens, or where just "never all that good". Well let me tell you, the same thing will happen to Mr. Emelianenko, and theres no reason to respect him any less for it, just the same as all other fighters who ruled the sport...

Now on to you, what grinds your gears?
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/15/07 12:49:53AM
I agree that Fedor isnt invincible IMO hes the closest thing to it. People always jump off the bandwagon when a superstar loses. Look at GSP, all the haters crawled from under their rocks to add their 2 cents about how overrated he is.

Something about the UFC that grinds my gears is not being able to knee downed opponents. When a guy is in the north/south position you should be able to knee to the face IMO
xthe_scottx
4/15/07 12:50:47AM

Posted by richieb19

We all have certain things that broadcasters or fans alike say that just rub us the wrong way... Personally with me it's when people reffer to submission or ground skills as Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu abilities. Now by no means am I putting down BJJ as a suitable ground related TMA, but I feel that when people reffer to the ground aspect of MMA in such a way it disrecpects Judo, Sambo, Catch, Wrestling, etc. and all other ground players and their backgrounds. Grappling is grappling, simple as that.

I agree. People don't usually give other forms of submission grappling the respect it deserves. Something that bothers me is when a fight was to be moved to the center of the ring because the fighters are getting tangled in the ropes. I can't stand the restart and almost wish a cage was used in all organizations.
richieb19
4/15/07 12:52:40AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

I agree that Fedor isnt invincible IMO hes the closest thing to it. People always jump off the bandwagon when a superstar loses. Look at GSP, all the haters crawled from under their rocks to add their 2 cents about how overrated he is.

Something about the UFC that grinds my gears is not being able to knee downed opponents. When a guy is in the north/south position you should be able to knee to the face IMO

Are you sure you don't mean the quarter position? North-Sourth would be like a 69 (sorry for the sexual refference)...
Svartorm
4/15/07 3:17:14AM
Something I've noticed lately is that commentators refer to every kick, whether to the leg, body or head as a "leg kick".

I also hate it when commentators will flip out about how hard a punch was, or how close a submission is, even though it was clearly not a very hard punch or the submission wasn't even on. I know they're trying to create excitement during the fight, but it gets annoying to hear "That guillotine is in DEEP" when the guys is in half guard with one arm in the guillotine.

Aside from that, my only real complaint about MMA is the Lay and Pray. I can't understand what goes through someones head, other than the thought of a paycheck, when they go out to a fight and intentionally do nothing but hold position for fifteen minutes.
Rush
4/15/07 9:30:40AM
I'll list my #1 peeve

Joe Rogan

That guy can't talk like a normal person and doesn't know anything more about MMA than most of the people on this site.

I also hate it when fighters/commentators (or they are made to) say cliches like, it's a war, it's a chess match, I'm going to impose my wil, etc.

bayonetxwork
4/15/07 10:41:52AM
I CAN'T stand when people automatically count other fighters out. Look at Serra, EVERYONE counted him out against GSP, and he won. Now the works of Serra vs. Hughes are in the making, and once again EVEYRONE is counting him out. Its ridiculous, seriously.

Oh and Fedor being "close to invincible" pisses me off to.

[edit]Just looked at the new post and realized another thing I hate. Whenever someone gets knocked out, its instantly blah blah has a weak chin. Anyone can get knocked out at any time, get over it.[/edit]
richieb19
4/15/07 11:24:34AM
I thought I'd throw in another... Mike Goldberg and his phrase "it's aaaaaallll over", can't stand that... it's not so much the phrase, but the fact that he has said it for every single fight...
crimethinc
4/15/07 1:10:34PM
I have a lot of pet peeves that come from the new casual fans of MMA. I hate to berate anyone because I was new to the sport at one time too but anytime two fighters are sizing each other up and people say things like "Oh, there just dancing around with each other." Or anytime a fight goes to the ground and one fighter is trying to improve position rather then immediately locking in a submission or dishing out relentless ground and pound then they are "just hugging each other." That drives me up the wall.

I have a small group of about 4-5 guys with a deep appreciation for MMA, but every event everyone has to bring there girlfriends or there friends who still think pro wrestling is real. I wanted to KO a friend of mine's dad because he said that John Cena was tougher then any of the MMA fighters. Ignorance in anything really annoys me especially when it is something i'm as passionate about like MMA.

Oh yeah, and that chick announcer from Pride.

And Nick Diaz.
Juggernaut
4/15/07 1:33:46PM

Posted by Rush

I'll list my #1 peeve

Joe Rogan

That guy can't talk like a normal person and doesn't know anything more about MMA than most of the people on this site.

I also hate it when fighters/commentators (or they are made to) say cliches like, it's a war, it's a chess match, I'm going to impose my wil, etc.

lmao I agree completely with that one, Joe Rogan should just keep his mouth shut. He's too damn loud and obnoxiousand nobody wants to hear that while they're watching a fight. But Rogan does know his MMA though, he took BJJ for years and trained MMA as well. but what I don't like is when he always picks the damn BJJ guy to win. I also can't stand the other guy either, his voice is annoying, he looks stupid when the camera is on him, and he's the one saying those stupid cliche phrases. I do, however, like Eddy Bravo and Bas Ruttten's fight commentaries. In my opinion they're the best in the business
Juggernaut
4/15/07 1:37:15PM

Posted by crimethinc

I have a lot of pet peeves that come from the new casual fans of MMA. I hate to berate anyone because I was new to the sport at one time too but anytime two fighters are sizing each other up and people say things like "Oh, there just dancing around with each other." Or anytime a fight goes to the ground and one fighter is trying to improve position rather then immediately locking in a submission or dishing out relentless ground and pound then they are "just hugging each other." That drives me up the wall.

I have a small group of about 4-5 guys with a deep appreciation for MMA, but every event everyone has to bring there girlfriends or there friends who still think pro wrestling is real. I wanted to KO a friend of mine's dad because he said that John Cena was tougher then any of the MMA fighters. Ignorance in anything really annoys me especially when it is something i'm as passionate about like MMA.

Oh yeah, and that chick announcer from Pride.

And Nick Diaz.

1. I would punch the guy, friend's father or not.
2. new fans and non fans burn me too, they know absolutely nothing but think they know it all. and I hate the ones that ask a million damn questions while you're trying to watch too.
3. lmfao I can't stand Nick Diaz
warglory
4/15/07 1:40:43PM

Posted by Svartorm

Something I've noticed lately is that commentators refer to every kick, whether to the leg, body or head as a "leg kick".

I also hate it when commentators will flip out about how hard a punch was, or how close a submission is, even though it was clearly not a very hard punch or the submission wasn't even on. I know they're trying to create excitement during the fight, but it gets annoying to hear "That guillotine is in DEEP" when the guys is in half guard with one arm in the guillotine.

Aside from that, my only real complaint about MMA is the Lay and Pray. I can't understand what goes through someones head, other than the thought of a paycheck, when they go out to a fight and intentionally do nothing but hold position for fifteen minutes.

This is also my biggest pet peeve.
warglory
4/15/07 1:44:58PM
Alot of people have been saying their pet peeves deals with commentators and their lack of calling the fihgt properly. I have to say that one of the most frank, non-fighter commentators I have experienced is Joe Rogan. He is the only guy who gives major props to Karo's and other athletes Judo abilities (and the few Sambo guys who are kicking around in the UFC), and when Mike makes an assinine remark about a "hard right" or "a choke hold in deep", Rogan is quick to revise the statement and tell it like it really is. Say what you want about Rogan's color commentary, but the man knows his shit and makes sure this comes off in his broadcast.
iwannabesedated
4/15/07 3:07:44PM

Posted by richieb19

I thought I'd throw in another... Mike Goldberg and his phrase "it's aaaaaallll over", can't stand that... it's not so much the phrase, but the fact that he has said it for every single fight...

i have to agree

god i hate that ........it is alllllll over.....every fight...cmon goldie maybe a new catch phrase...sometime b4 were dead..
hathcock32
4/15/07 4:49:52PM

Posted by Rush

I'll list my #1 peeve

Joe Rogan

Joe Rogan knows more about MMA than you will ever know. All announcers have their own sayings they always use....football, baseball, its all the same.
shinobi
4/15/07 5:50:57PM
fighter bashing. hate it. well, on terms of their skills. personality i can understand, but it takes an enormity of balls to get into the ring or cage and throw down. give respect to their skills, even if they arent that great. look at joe son lol, that dude has got balls of iron.
Junior24
4/15/07 7:07:17PM
Guys who win a match and then think they are the greatest thing since slice bread. If you win a title or a huge #1 Contender match so be it, but if you beat a guy w/a 7-2 record and is 23 yrs old and has been fighting for 2 years, dont act like you are the greatest fighter in the world. This is Mixed Martial Arts, have a sense of gentlemanship. MMA is so much better than pro boxing, so please fighters, be above acting like an idiot before and after a fight. Whether you win or lose, appreciate your opponent for the fight whether you like him or not.
hippysmacker
4/15/07 7:20:41PM
1. Fans who boo when a fight goes to the ground
2. Refs who either don't stop a fight when they should, or stop one early-catch 22
3. When fighter's get tangled in the ropes
4. Jerry Millen, nuff said
5. Fighter's who immediately try to discredit their opponent after a loss
6. have to agree- fighter bashing
7. have to agree - Too many people turn on a guy after a loss-Wandy, GSp, etc.
8. have to agree- Joe Rogan is very knowledgeable IMO. Also, his enthusiasm seems genuine to me. Just a fan with a dream job.
9. have to agree- No one is unbeatable, but I think Fedor is the closest thing to it.
shinobi
4/15/07 7:28:41PM

Posted by hippysmacker

1. Fans who boo when a fight goes to the ground
2. Refs who either don't stop a fight when they should, or stop one early-catch 22
3. When fighter's get tangled in the ropes
4. Jerry Millen, nuff said
5. Fighter's who immediately try to discredit their opponent after a loss
6. have to agree- fighter bashing
7. have to agree - Too many people turn on a guy after a loss-Wandy, GSp, etc.
8. have to agree- Joe Rogan is very knowledgeable IMO. Also, his enthusiasm seems genuine to me. Just a fan with a dream job.
9. have to agree- No one is unbeatable, but I think Fedor is the closest thing to it.

agree with you totally, very nice quote i must add as well. a shame not all men will follow it.
Svartorm
4/15/07 9:20:23PM

Posted by Junior24

Guys who win a match and then think they are the greatest thing since slice bread. If you win a title or a huge #1 Contender match so be it, but if you beat a guy w/a 7-2 record and is 23 yrs old and has been fighting for 2 years, dont act like you are the greatest fighter in the world. This is Mixed Martial Arts, have a sense of gentlemanship. MMA is so much better than pro boxing, so please fighters, be above acting like an idiot before and after a fight. Whether you win or lose, appreciate your opponent for the fight whether you like him or not.

Sort of like when Phil Baroni blew a gasket after taking out Amar Soloev?

I like it when guys are more gentlemanly after a fight, but you have to admit that they've come a long way. Rarely is there a fight were two guys won't touch gloves or talk with each other after a fight, and dirty fighting has gone down quite a bit. Last rotten trick I remember is when Hardonk fought that Sherman guy, and he bullrushed him while pretending to touch gloves. I guess he got what he had coming though.
Juggernaut
4/15/07 10:05:56PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Junior24

Sort of like when Phil Baroni blew a gasket after taking out Amar Soloev?

I like it when guys are more gentlemanly after a fight, but you have to admit that they've come a long way. Rarely is there a fight were two guys won't touch gloves or talk with each other after a fight, and dirty fighting has gone down quite a bit. Last rotten trick I remember is when Hardonk fought that Sherman guy, and he bullrushed him while pretending to touch gloves. I guess he got what he had coming though.

lol yeah, Baroni was a little over the top on that celebration and sounde a lil too much like Mike Tyson lol and Chuck Liddell needs to come up with a new victory dance. I like Liddell but I get tired of seeing the same dance match after match. I almost hope the fight goes to decision or he loses just so i don't have to see it again. it makes me want to just run up to him and give him a soccer kick in the testiculars
Rush
4/16/07 12:00:37AM
I'll reply to the Rogan nuthugging here. lol just kidding.

I didn't say the guy doesn't know anything about MMA. I just feel that he doesn't really say anything that anybody else couldn't say from watching UFC tapes for a while.

IMO he talks out of his ass at least once per event and comes up short/wrong in his statement(s).

I really like Bas as a play by play guy. He knows his stuff (without a doubt), he is colourful and he doesn't have an annoying voice like Rogan.
Manfred
4/16/07 1:07:20AM
I agree with hippysmackers #1 peeve. That my #1 too. But to take it further, it's just as bad is the FIGHTERS feel they have to KO or keep it standing.

Best example was Stevenson APOLOGIZING for a first round sub against Mishima at UFC 65.

This trend towards "ultimate kickboxing" is my biggest pet peeve. The promoters pressure them, the fans boo, the fighter gets the win and feels he needs to apologize.
warglory
4/16/07 10:32:49AM

Posted by Rush

I didn't say the guy doesn't know anything about MMA. I just feel that he doesn't really say anything that anybody else couldn't say from watching UFC tapes for a while.

IMO he talks out of his ass at least once per event and comes up short/wrong in his statement(s).

I really like Bas as a play by play guy. He knows his stuff (without a doubt), he is colourful and he doesn't have an annoying voice like Rogan.

Really? I always perceived Rogan as being almost spot on with his commentating, and when he fucks up, he seems to correct himself (which in itself shows knowledge being able to correct your mistakes).
Lay_N_Pray
4/16/07 6:27:12PM
1. Sherdog Forums (havent been there since this opened though)
2. People who think fans that watch TUF dont know the history of the sport
3. Dana White vs Tito Ortiz
4. Shamrock vs Gracie
5. Before it even happens...Shamrock vs Baroni
6. Pride/UFC comparisons
7. Nicknames such as the Athlete and No Love...I think someone should take Motherless
8. Sylvia crapping his pants on national TV

Im sure there are more I just cant think of them now
shinobi
4/19/07 2:46:29PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

1. Sherdog Forums (havent been there since this opened though)
2. People who think fans that watch TUF dont know the history of the sport
3. Dana White vs Tito Ortiz
4. Shamrock vs Gracie
5. Before it even happens...Shamrock vs Baroni
6. Pride/UFC comparisons
7. Nicknames such as the Athlete and No Love...I think someone should take Motherless
8. Sylvia crapping his pants on national TV

Im sure there are more I just cant think of them now

i know its in your name but i hate lay n pray fighters lol
Sopena66669
4/24/07 12:57:26AM
I cant stand Goldburg... end of peeves
loller90278
4/24/07 1:27:29AM
i used to think calling fighters "studs" was cool but now its just getting annoying
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/24/07 4:36:38AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Rush

Really? I always perceived Rogan as being almost spot on with his commentating, and when he fucks up, he seems to correct himself (which in itself shows knowledge being able to correct your mistakes).

Im a fan of Rogan (Bas/Ranello tagteam is the best) He's like a stoner who managed to trick the UFC into hiring him
Lay_N_Pray
4/24/07 7:35:06PM
I also get quite bored with Lay N Pray fighters...

But my Lay N Pray was not referring to that, my name is referring to what fighters do when they step into fight Cro Cop...they lay then they pray
Pages: [1] 2 3