MMA Olympics!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Side Games » MMA Olympics!
Next Page »
warglory
11/6/11 7:51:01PM
Alright guys, I am going to throw my hat into the fantasy tourney mix. I am going to change it up slightly though with it being an active tournament, where we all vote to crown the various medalists in each division. The rules are broken down as such:

Every participant must volunteer themselves with a chosen country to compete with. As many people can participate as we want, but we'll need an even amount of competitors for a tournament style bracket. I'll start with 16 (aiming high) participants, once that number is reached with each country of choice being chosen, we'll go through and allow each person, one at a time, to choose their entire roster (one fight per division) in the following divisions:

HW

Gold - JUNIOR DOS SANTOS (Brazil)
Silver - CAIN VELASQUEZ (Mexico)
Bronze - JOSH BARNETT (USA)

LHW
MW
WW
LW
FW
BW
FlW
Women's Open Weight Division

Again, if you want to compete, choose your country first ONLY, once all participants are in, we'll choose the fighters. Once each participant chooses their roster, I'll randomly assign tournament brackets for each weight class, and we'll vote once, per weight class, to determine the medalists.

I'm hoping this goes a bit quicker since we'll be able to jump right into the action without having to go through the process of picking each fighter one by one. That's it, let's see some countries!

1. Warglory (Croatia)
2. hashyandy4 (Brazil)
3. prophecy033 (USA)
4. DeadHead988 - (United Kingdom)
5. Geoffo - (Canada)
6. sparky - (The Netherlands)
7. Rabi (Japan)
8. ChrisSabal (Mexico)
9. tattflash (Australia)
10. danclarke1992 (Russia)
11. pmoney (Sweden)
12. jjeans (South Korea)
13. China
14. Germany
15. Armenia
16. Norway

warglory
11/6/11 7:52:11PM
I pick Croatia for my choice.
hashyandy4
11/6/11 8:12:09PM
I'll try it. I got Brazil
prophecy033
11/6/11 8:55:16PM
I'm in, ill take the USA
DeadHead988
11/6/11 10:47:29PM
UK
Geoffo
11/6/11 11:18:20PM
Canada
sparky
11/7/11 12:56:30AM
Netherlands
jjeans
11/7/11 3:18:10PM
Couple of quick questions, I would love to sign up but:
1) As all the best countries have already been selected is it possible to take Scandinavia?
2) What are the rules, If its the olympics Pro's arent allowed so whats the maximum amount of fights to be able to select him for your country, or else it's not really the olympics lol
DeadHead988
11/7/11 5:14:35PM
Surprised Japan hasn't been taken yet...
warglory
11/8/11 10:15:29AM

Posted by jjeans

Couple of quick questions, I would love to sign up but:
1) As all the best countries have already been selected is it possible to take Scandinavia?
2) What are the rules, If its the olympics Pro's arent allowed so whats the maximum amount of fights to be able to select him for your country, or else it's not really the olympics lol

Pros are allowed in a number of Olympic events, so go ahead and pick whatever nation you want with whatever fighters you want. And there are several nations available with good fighters. Japan, Korea, Australia, Germany, Mexico, etc.
Rabi
11/8/11 12:48:23PM
Ill take Japan please
ChrisSabal
11/8/11 3:28:25PM
I'll take Mexico
prophecy033
11/8/11 3:51:47PM
So is Cain on the American roster or Mexico?
ChrisSabal
11/8/11 4:47:44PM

Posted by prophecy033

That is also a question I have. How will it work for Mexican-Americans? Like Melendez, Torres, Sanchez, Cain, etc.?
warglory
11/9/11 12:04:30PM

Posted by prophecy033

For the purpose of the game, you can pick people who identify with the heritage of your country, not may or may not have citizenship with that country. But let's be reasonable about it. If a fighter is like, three generations removed from being French, than I don't think we can consider him a part of the French team.
warglory
11/9/11 12:06:56PM
Alright, so we are at the halfway point here. If anyone else wants to jump on, let's get some more countries, if not, I'll just hold it at 8.
Bubbles
11/10/11 12:04:51AM
so we have to choose fighters from the country we select?
tattflash
11/10/11 5:46:45AM
I was stuck between, Austarilia, Russia and South Korea, but the likes of Mark Hunt, GSos, TeHuna, Ebersole and Lombard swayed me to Austrailia

AUSTRALIA

This Link gives a run down of potential MMA Olympic teams
danclarke1992
11/10/11 6:08:11AM
i'll take russia
jjeans
11/10/11 1:42:36PM
If your struggling I'm still wanting Scandinavia (Sweden, Finland, Norway)
DeadHead988
11/10/11 11:55:12PM

Posted by tattflash

I was stuck between, Austarilia, Russia and South Korea, but the likes of Mark Hunt, GSos, TeHuna, Ebersole and Lombard swayed me to Austrailia

AUSTRALIA

Lombard would represent Cuba I think
pmoney
11/11/11 1:15:14AM
I'm in warglory! I'll take Sweden if you want Norway JJeans
tattflash
11/11/11 5:03:53AM
see post below
tattflash
11/11/11 5:05:01AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by tattflash

AUSTRALIA

I was going with the fact that he trains and lives in Australia,so technically he fights out of Australia and the fact that Cuba cannot possibly be a pick as they only have around 4 MMA fighters, but then also I would lose Mark Hunt , James Te Huna ( both New Zealand) and Brian Ebersole (USA) based on that argument. On the other side of the coin Alastair Overeem was born in England so could represent team UK and the likes of Mousasi (Iranian) Bahadurzada (Afghan) and Manhoef ( Suriname) all come from other countries,so could decimate the Dutch squad if it comes down to birth place selection,
jjeans
11/11/11 6:41:54AM

Posted by pmoney

I'm in warglory! I'll take Sweden if you want Norway JJeans

No problem pmoney - I'll take South Korea!
warglory
11/11/11 10:15:10AM
Alright, excellent! I was wondering when South Korea would get picked, I think they will do very well in the lower weight divisions.

I will keep slots open for another day, and if they are not filled, I will just throw in some random countries to allow for us to continue.
warglory
11/11/11 10:18:43AM

Posted by tattflash

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by tattflash

AUSTRALIA

I was going with the fact that he trains and lives in Australia,so technically he fights out of Australia and the fact that Cuba cannot possibly be a pick as they only have around 4 MMA fighters, but then also I would lose Mark Hunt , James Te Huna ( both New Zealand) and Brian Ebersole (USA) based on that argument. On the other side of the coin Alastair Overeem was born in England so could represent team UK and the likes of Mousasi (Iranian) Bahadurzada (Afghan) and Manhoef ( Suriname) all come from other countries,so could decimate the Dutch squad if it comes down to birth place selection,

I am down with any choice for this kind of justification if people have trouble choosing certain weightclasses, but only if folks don't have a problem with it.
warglory
11/13/11 6:22:12PM
Alright everyone, I'll start things off with Croatia. I had to do a BYE for the female division, as well as the Flyweight, as I could not find anyone from Croatia for those weight classes.

HW - Mirko CroCop
LHW - Igor Pokrajac
MW - Zelg Galesic
WW- Pat Miletich
LW- Antun Racic
FW - Patrick Peresa
BW - Emanuel Cibaric
FlW - BYE
Women - BYE

Alright hashyandy4, you're next!

hashyandy4
11/13/11 9:09:27PM