MMA in the Olympics- is it practical and is it time

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA in the Olympics- is it practical and is it time
seanfu
12/31/07 6:37:25PM
I think It's long overdue to have MMA in the Olympics. There is already an amature ruleset-

-no striking to the head of a downed opponent-
-no elbows period-
-no knees to head-
Those are the major differences in rules.
With those rules in place why not have an olympics in MMA?

sorry about the poll messup.
tuvok500
12/31/07 6:48:47PM
no way now.

even in olympique boxing they have to wear an helmet and as soon as a fighter is a little bit hurt the referee is giving him a count or stop the fight.

so, even if i would like to see MMA in olympique it would be so limited that it would not be MMA like we like it.

Bemin
12/31/07 7:34:38PM
I honestly don't think MMA belongs in the Olympics. MMA is made up of ,as you would guess by the name, many different disciplines. Many of which are already Olympic sports (Wrestling, boxing, judo, Taekwondo), and to make it an Olympic sport would take away from the pure disciples that MMA is based on.

Also if it were ever to be made an Olympic sport I can see the rules being tightened up considerably for the "safety of the fighters", these rules because they are now the "Olympic rules" would, I have no doubt be adopted by many of the sports organizations leading to a more watered down, less exciting sport in the long run.
Mastodon2
12/31/07 7:56:47PM
No. Sorry/

The olympics don't even allow full contact Taekwondo. Good luck getting anything that resembles MMA in there.
koji112091
1/6/08 10:19:37PM
I have to agree.

The Olympics seems to mess up every contact sport.
But that's what I heard.
Rush
1/6/08 11:24:25PM
I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but this topic has be talked about to death. A simple search yieled all of these.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Link 6

Link 7

Here are the reasons I don't think it should be an Olympic sport

1) The safety issue. There are so many safety issues that need to be addressed in MMA. This is more relevant to the striking part of the match. Take Olympic boxing for example. Head gear is mandatory and the gloves are most likely the biggest that can be worn. I just don't see MMA making it to the Olympics in its current form.

In a best case scenario, I would think that in addition to the current rules I would predict the following changes/additions:

a) no elbows or knees
b) shin pads must be worn
c) headgear must be worn
d) gloves might be bigger
e) shorter and/or fewer rounds - probably lots of decisions
f) a new point system would have to be implemented to better score fights that end in a decision
g) like judo, wrestling and other combat sports in the Olympics, an MMA event will certainly have to be tournament style, which alone can cause problems with fighter safety and even sanction rules (i.e. you can't twice in a day)

2) There is no need for it. The UFC alone has at least one show a month. What would a potentially watered down MMA tournament, once every 4 years give us that we didn't have already? Not much IMO. sure there is more international exposure, but do you think the American television stations will be televising MMA fights when swimming, track and field, etc are their bread and butter? Heck, I want to watch more judo and wrestling and can't even do that as it is.

3) There are already too many events in the summer Olympics. Take away 20% of what is there and I might consider removing this point from my list of reasons.
telnights
1/6/08 11:42:30PM

Posted by tuvok500

no way now.

even in olympique boxing they have to wear an helmet and as soon as a fighter is a little bit hurt the referee is giving him a count or stop the fight.

so, even if i would like to see MMA in olympique it would be so limited that it would not be MMA like we like it.

Agree
ncordless
1/6/08 11:58:36PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by tuvok500

no way now.

Agree

You have the greatest av of all time, and make some good points.