MMA In the Olympic Games??

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » MMA In the Olympic Games??
JimmieDD
8/4/08 3:37:39PM
http://www.mmatraining.com/featured/mma-will-never-be-an-olympic-sport/

Good read on whether MMA would ever make the Olympics.
xphycorx
8/4/08 3:53:21PM
i don't see this ever happening. i think mma will always be sort of 'underground'. it is still not legal in every state and i don't see that changing any time soon either. i am okay with it being this way though. i think mma is at its peak right now. we will probably never see the ufc on network tv. we will probably never see mma analyzed for a portion of espn sportscenter. we will probably never see mma mainstream.
Twenty20Dollars
8/4/08 3:58:16PM
dont want to see it in the olympic, just like with skateboarding. Somethings arent meant for the olympics. like skateboarding has the Xgames and all this other stuff, dont need the olympics.
Naturaldisaster
8/4/08 4:00:54PM
I really dont see mma being in the olympics. maybe Submission wreslting but not mma.
mikevolz
8/4/08 4:22:22PM
world champions right now

hw - brazil

lhw - usa

mw - brazil

ww - canada

lw - usa

fw - usa

bantan - usa

not a lot of parity. only 4-5 countries that would really compete
gsquat
8/4/08 4:27:23PM
I see MMA in the Olypics two events from this one. I love the matchup possibilies.

Mike, realistically Russia should proceed HW.
loller90278
8/4/08 4:44:20PM

Posted by mikevolz

hw - brazil

lhw - usa

mw - brazil

ww - canada

lw - usa

fw - usa

bantan - usa

just off the top of my head i can name usa, canada, japan, brazil, russia, france, england, ireland, holland, croatia, etc
gsquat
8/4/08 4:55:35PM

Posted by loller90278

just off the top of my head i can name usa, canada, japan, brazil, russia, france, england, ireland, holland, croatia, etc

What country is Etc?

Beardotheweirdo
8/4/08 4:59:58PM
MMA in the Olympics would be a tournament.

All the best fighters fighting each other 5-10 times in the span of two weeks. There would be way too many injuries.
Zuffa would never agree to let UFC fighters in the olympics for MMA anyways. Hell they wouldn't even let Fedor do Sambo, which has a better chance of becoming an Olympic sport because it is much safer.
motorboatensob
8/4/08 5:02:12PM
To many contracts and chances of losing your big fighters if they get hurt unless the were to use up and coming fighters like they do in boxing. But I still don't see it happening not enough country's have enough quality fighters to compete.
jiujitsufreak74
8/4/08 5:02:48PM
i made a topic about this a while back and there were some interesting responses. great discussion and i suggest you guys look back on it if you are interested about MMA in the Olympics. LINK
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/4/08 5:43:38PM
Just stick to wrestling...and perhaps they could add grappling.
postman
8/4/08 6:20:43PM

Posted by mikevolz

hw - brazil

lhw - usa

mw - brazil

ww - canada

lw - usa

fw - usa

bantan - usa

UFC and WEc are not the only promtions in the world. I would have my HW champ as Russian. Not so sure on FW haven't seen Kid Faber fight yet. God Gomi Penn would be fun agian.

I'm not sure about the hole mma olympics but if it would make it so we could see the best fight the best then I would love to see it.
mikevolz
8/4/08 6:28:20PM
i know lots of countries would compete

but i mean, by the rankings on here

top 10 hw

3 brazilians
4 americans
1 croatian
1 belarusian
1 russian

top 10 lhw

6 americans
4 brazilians

top 10 mw's

5 americans
1 brit
1 canadian
1 japanese (how do you say that singular?)
2 brazilians

top 10 ww

7 americans
1 canadian
1 brazilian
1 karo parysian (not sure if he has us citizenship or armenian)

the lw's

5 americans
1 norweigan
1 mexican
2 japanese (again, apologies)
1 brazilian

27/50 of the best 50 fighters ( i know theres a few fighters counted twice, ala bj penn and hendo, but stay with me )are american.

11/50 are brazilian

so 76% of the words best fighters above 145 lbs are from 2 countries. Thats what i mean when i refer to parity. the olympics would never have that. softball is getting taken out for a reason, as it should be. who cares if the us is beating a bunch of people 30-0. its not fun to watch.
The-Don
8/4/08 7:25:40PM
Now someone above mentioned the X-Games... I think MMA would fit in better there then in the Olympics..... that would be the best way to go....
bojangalz
8/4/08 9:47:28PM
The olympics are nothing more than pompas, holier-than-thou BS anyway. They want no part in MMA, and MMA should want nothing to do with them.

The fighters already do a fantastic job representing their countries for the various promotions. This would do nothing but draw negative and inaccurate comparisons to the days of the roman collosium. The morons who cover the games are MMA-illiterate sports writers for major news papers. They'd bash the sport with rediculous words found in every article like blood-lust, gladiator, etc.

The TV coverage would be terriblely mishandled too. Think Elite XC's first CBS card, but on an international scale.

Not to mention the sheer logistics of it. How long do the Olympics run? A month or so? (I honestly don't know.) But what kind of tourny can you run in such a short time? You've have to start the qualifying rounds a year in advance, or make these guys fight twice a month leading up to the games.

Folks- if we don't like how the TUF series locks up fighters from competition, imagine what the Olympics would do!

This would be a very BAD, BAD idea; period.
Aether
8/4/08 10:30:27PM

top 10 ww

7 americans
1 canadian
1 brazilian
1 karo parysian (not sure if he has us citizenship or armenian)

Rofl, so does he come from a country called "karoparys"
telnights
8/5/08 12:01:37AM
I don't think it will happen maybe Submission Wrestling but MMA I don't see happening for a long time. As it stands now boxers have to wear head gear so think about how limited MMA would be. Even then they kind of already have grappling because they have Judo, Sambo, Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling.
VictimSix
8/5/08 10:32:13AM
They can hardly judge AMATURE boxing much less Mma. I'd like to see it happen one day but the sport and the people that would have to embrace it are not ready.