No MMA In Massachusetts

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » No MMA In Massachusetts
DCRage
7/8/08 12:03:32PM
Yet. Lawmakers in the state emerged from the year's legislative session last week without forwarding a bill to the governor that, if signed, would regulate the sport in UFC President Dana White's old stomping grounds and open the door to UFC events. Matthew Moran, chief of staff for state Sen. James Timilty, said members of the legislature's conference committee simply did not have the time to vet the MMA legislation that Timilty had proposed and still meet its deadline to get the rest of the state budget in front of the governor. This means no MMA in MA until at least Spring '09.

Article
JimiMak
7/8/08 12:41:52PM
I've heard about this bill. I'm confused, we already have MMA here in MA. There's several small orgs running shows.

Do you know any more about it?

EDIT:: I guess it's allowed but unregulated? UFC will only hold it where it is regulated?
prozacnation1978
7/8/08 5:37:11PM
i guess their plan to go to boston in november is out, here is an idea why don't you go back to cali for at least one damm event this year
DCRage
7/8/08 5:44:10PM

Posted by JimiMak

I've heard about this bill. I'm confused, we already have MMA here in MA. There's several small orgs running shows.

EDIT:: I guess it's allowed but unregulated? UFC will only hold it where it is regulated?

I'm guessing yes, or it's possible that only amateur MMA is allowed there and not pro MMA. That's the case in a few other states in the US.
Wolfenstein
7/8/08 6:06:03PM
Well thank god they had time to place a $1.00 tax on ciggarettes instead.

Man the wheels turn really slow in Mass sometimes...umm ok most of the time.
JimiMak
7/8/08 6:20:28PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by JimiMak

I'm guessing yes, or it's possible that only amateur MMA is allowed there and not pro MMA. That's the case in a few other states in the US.

It must be a matter of non regulation or something, cuz I know for a fact that pro events go on here on a regular basis.

and yes luke, they turn slow unless it's gay marriage or an issue no other state wants, then the wheels turn real quick. Not bashing an issue, just saying they're slow on issues other states are doing and fast when they think they can be first.