MMA Legends vs Current Fighters: What fights would you make?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA Legends vs Current Fighters: What fights would you make?
UFC_Fanatic
3/23/13 10:46:38PM
I was thinking about this today and I was wondering what fights you guys would make. I figure maybe with this we can get some discussion going a get some more activity going in the forums.

I've been trying to think of one fight per weight class that I would make, but it's a little difficult to think of good ones because so many of the early pioneers of the sport were one dimensional or would get beat down due to large disparity in skill level of fighters now vs back then. Also who classifies as a legend is relatively ambiguous as well, since there is no clear line that says this guy is a legend and this guy is not since mma is so young. Anyway, my pointless rambling aside, I think I'll just start my list now before I become an even wordier bastard.

The fight that sits at the front of my mind and possibly the one that might be the best that I put on my list is Bas Rutten vs JDS. I personally think this would be a great fight. There would be a large difference in size since by todays standards Bas would have been a LHW. Size aside, that doesn't change the fact that styles make fights, and I think these 2 styles make for assured fireworks. If only we could turn back Rutten's biological clock 15-20 years and make this fight.

For a LHW fight, I would like to think that a prime Chuck LIddell vs Jon Jones match up would make for a pretty good fight. Perhaps this is my nostalgia blindness and a bias toward Liddell as he was my favorite fighter since I watched his 3rd fight with Couture as my first mma event. Liddell tended to do very well against wrestlers, and he was possibly the most difficult fighter to keep on his back that we've seen in mma. Jones does bring a different style of wrestling than most wrestlers Liddell faced. That said, I still think this could've made for a great fight. Sylistically this fight intrigues me, that's why it's on my list.

For a fight at MW I'm kinda torn. There are a few fights that would intrigue me and I think would make for good fights. I'm thinking Murilo Bustamante vs Souza as a fight between 2 grappling wizards would make for an interesting match up. Both are great grapplers, and they're both fairly servicable strikers, though I'm thinking Souza probably has more power. If it hit the ground I think the grappling exchanges would be amazing and wildly entertaining, but that's because I'm a guy who enjoys a good scramble and amazing grappling matches. But in a lot of cases, when 2 grapplers fight, it turns into a striking match.

That's why that is a fight I'd make out of intrigue, and this next fight is the mw fight I'd make for guaranteed fireworks from opening bell to the end of the fight. Frank Shamrock vs Rich Franklin. There's not much to say other than I think that the true winner in this fight would be the fans.

At WW, I really don't know what fight I'd make here. I'm having a hard time really deciding on this one. I'm thinking Pat Militich vs someone, but I'm not really sure who I'd put him against. I'll just skip WW for now and come back to it later on if I can think of something here.

LW, similar problem. I'm not really sure what fight to make. I'm just going to throw something out thre and hope it sticks as the saying goes. How about Genki Sudo vs Joe Lauzon. I know there are some that would argue whether or not Sudo is a legend, but damn it, I think he was. One think I don't think very many would argue is that at the very least his entrances were legendary. There's entire highlights on youtube for just his entrances for god's sake! Both are great grapplers who have servicable striking and I've never seen either of them in a dull fight, so that's the fight I'm going with. Grappling exchanges alone would make this fight worth it.

That's my list for now. Sorry it's so wordy, but hopefully it accomplishes my goal of generating discussion on the PG. I'll come back and update this later if I can think of some more fights.
Rabi
3/23/13 11:27:44PM
At HW, I like Fedor v Cain, that would be my choice.

At LHW I have 2 legends I'd like to match up, (from different generations) - Liddell v Rutten.

At MW I'd like to see how a prime Sakuraba would fair in the upper tier of the UFC, Saku v Sonnen interests me.

At WW Matt Hughes vs a top 10 opponent, I like Hughes v Kampmann.

At LW a prime BJ Penn v Eddie Alvarez

UFC_Fanatic
3/24/13 1:06:19AM

Posted by Rabi

At HW, I like Fedor v Cain, that would be my choice.

At LHW I have 2 legends I'd like to match up, (from different generations) - Liddell v Rutten.

At MW I'd like to see how a prime Sakuraba would fair in the upper tier of the UFC, Saku v Sonnen interests me.

At WW Matt Hughes vs a top 10 opponent, I like Hughes v Kampmann.

At LW a prime BJ Penn v Eddie Alvarez

I like your fights. I'd be sitting on the edge of my seat salivating over Liddell vs Rutten, and Sakuraba vs Sonnen. Fedor vs Cain would be great too. Great fights.
aussiemma
3/24/13 9:29:20AM
would have loved to see lesnar vs fedor at hw.
sbulldavid
3/24/13 11:01:12AM
Bas vs Shogun

Liddell vs Jones

Hugo Duarte vs Khalib Starnes

Royce Gracie vs Demian Maia

Tito Ortiz vs Chael Sonnen

Couture vs Sonnen

Budgellism
3/24/13 12:39:27PM
Fedor vs. Cain
Bas vs. Wandy
Franklin vs. Belcher
Hughes vs. Hendricks
Penn vs. Pettis
jae_1833
3/24/13 1:33:58PM
HW: Fedor vs Randy
LHW: Anderson vs Jones
MW: Anderson vs GSP
WW: none as I think GSP vs Maia will happen this year or early next
LW: So many, BJ vs either Alvarez or Melendez
FW: Kawajiri vs Faber
BW: Hellboy vs Cruz
jae_1833
3/24/13 1:38:48PM

Posted by aussiemma

would have loved to see lesnar vs fedor at hw.

Used to think the same, but after his last couple all I can see as a possible finish is a first round tko.
infestructure
3/24/13 5:59:25PM
Fedor vs Cain sounds like a dream fight
emfleek
3/24/13 6:58:41PM
Liddell vs. Hendo
prozacnation1978
3/30/13 10:44:19PM
Liddell vs hendo
Fedor vs dos santos
Rousey vs Gina carano
george112