MMA lately....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA lately....
NatedawgThaM
4/17/10 11:54:19PM
This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I thought title fights were suppose to be the most looked forward too and most prestigious and greatest fights on an organization's card? How come lately it seems like they have been the worst?

hardy-GSP, Silva-Maia, King Mo-Gegard, Gilbert-Aoki, and Hendo-Shields have all been lackluster IMO. Edgar-Penn was ight. Just the last few MMA card's I've watched I feel like I could have been doing something better with my time. Its a very crappy feeling.

Thank God for the WEC next week. I have a feeling it's just fate that MMA hasn't been the most exciting lately and next week WEC blows my mind. Thank God for Shogun/Machida 2, Kos/Daley, and Rampage/Rashad coming up.
MiniMan
4/18/10 12:02:30AM
I think the reason is, Everyone seems to be on kinda the same level now. Think, Most times there is a good finish, Is when one fighter is better than the other at a certain aspect.

There will always be great fights, But we will see more SD/UD's coming.
Kpro
4/18/10 12:09:55AM
As a few fighters have said, when you're fighting towards a title you're willing to take more chances. When you're defending a title, you're not.

Not always the best for the fans; but if I'm in the ring defending, all I'd care about is retaining my title, not getting into a slugging war to see who goes down first. So you play to your strengths and finish only if the opportunity presents itself.

Just the way it is for most champs.
warglory
4/18/10 2:18:13AM
I thought the Strikeforce title fights were all good, I'm not sure what your talking about. Not every fight can be a knock down drag out slobberknocker,
seanfu
4/18/10 2:24:02AM

Posted by warglory

I thought the Strikeforce title fights were all good, I'm not sure what your talking about. Not every fight can be a knock down drag out slobberknocker,

Yeah, I like a collision of styles, I think we are spoiled lately. Aoki had a terrible performance but other than that I thought the fights were good. Back and forth.

The main event was pretty damn good, epic really, a war.
NatedawgThaM
4/18/10 2:32:54AM
Nobody said every fight had to be. I'm not saying they were terribly boring. Just that I kind of expected more from title fights. Especially when it's a upcoming org on a prime time network trying to make itself known. Strikeforce hurt itself badly tonight IMO. I just don't see how people can criticize the Anderson fight and then act like these were that much better. They were but not by much just because they engaged kinda.

Just didn't see anything thrilling about a gassed Mo riding it out against Gegard who looked like a fan just watching the fight go by. Then another 5 rounds of Aoki just falling to the floor(not hating for pulling guard, but because after he'd drop down and Melendez was standing over him, even as far as them having ahold of each, the ref still breaking them apart and standing them back up) Let them freakin fight. Seemed like the ref was just trying to play to the fans and help Melendez knock Aoki out but in reality he just made the fight worse by standing them up right away a lot of the times just because Aoki was just gonna drop back down anyways. I didn't think the hendo-shields fight was too bad, just was like the Kimbo-Houston fight too me. Having a lot of fight finishing positions but not finishing. Shields had mount for 20 minutes and couldn't finish. hendo is a tough so im not holding that against shields for not finishing him.

They weren't boring, I'm an MMA fan so I enjoy all aspects, but they were lackluster IMO, as they just weren't that exciting. I was interested the whole time though. Stalemates are just never that exciting to watch though which were pretty much all the fights I listed above. I just don't feel I got my money's worth out of the last 2 UFC PPV's and felt like the strikeforce card tonight was a little disappointing since everybody was expecting something great.

I can't say they were disappointing, lackluster, or stalemate's without being some bloody hungry casual fan? that's absurd.

seanfu
4/18/10 3:07:37AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Nobody said every fight had to be. I'm not saying they were terribly boring. Just that I kind of expected more from title fights. Especially when it's a upcoming org on a prime time network trying to make itself known. Strikeforce hurt itself badly tonight IMO. I just don't see how people can criticize the Anderson fight and then act like these were that much better. They were but not by much just because they engaged kinda.

Just didn't see anything thrilling about a gassed Mo riding it out against Gegard who looked like a fan just watching the fight go by. Then another 5 rounds of Aoki just falling to the floor(not hating for pulling guard, but because after he'd drop down and Melendez was standing over him, even as far as them having ahold of each, the ref still breaking them apart and standing them back up) Let them freakin fight. Seemed like the ref was just trying to play to the fans and help Melendez knock Aoki out but in reality he just made the fight worse by standing them up right away a lot of the times just because Aoki was just gonna drop back down anyways. I didn't think the hendo-shields fight was too bad, just was like the Kimbo-Houston fight too me. Having a lot of fight finishing positions but not finishing. Shields had mount for 20 minutes and couldn't finish. hendo is a tough so im not holding that against shields for not finishing him.

They weren't boring, I'm an MMA fan so I enjoy all aspects, but they were lackluster IMO, as they just weren't that exciting. I was interested the whole time though. Stalemates are just never that exciting to watch though which were pretty much all the fights I listed above. I just don't feel I got my money's worth out of the last 2 UFC PPV's and felt like the strikeforce card tonight was a little disappointing since everybody was expecting something great.

I can't say they were disappointing, lackluster, or stalemate's without being some bloody hungry casual fan? that's absurd.

Not trying to hate but I loved all three, groundwars. Sure they are slower than standup fights, but there is something special about 2 guys fighting for any advantage possible on the ground while trying to avoid damage. There is no choice to engage on the ground. Aoki I thought was just a collision of styles, thought it was interesting. And the Hendo fight was a true war.
NatedawgThaM
4/18/10 3:20:07AM
No doubt, I love fights like Griffin/Tavarez, Diaz-Sanchez, Sanchez/Fitch, and like recently Pelligrino-Camoas. But I just didn't see a lot of that in these fights. I was interested in them, I didn't mind them at all. I appreciated them. Just didn't think they were anything special. Hendo-Shields was a good shock with good transitions, I guess it just frustrated me that Shields had mount for almost 20 minutes. And Mo/Gegard didn't have to many submission attempts or GNP either, it just looked like I said Mo riding it against against gegard who was just watching the fight pass him. I blame the ref for the Aoki fight.

It wasn't the worse card and this topic is about MMA in general as their hasn't been a solid PPV card in like 2 months since 110. It wasn't too long ago but im talking recently in the past 2 months. I just added this card in since this was like a PPV built stacked card. CBS is almost as big as PPV IMO.
mrsmiley
4/18/10 9:13:09AM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Not trying to hate but I loved all three, groundwars. Sure they are slower than standup fights, but there is something special about 2 guys fighting for any advantage possible on the ground while trying to avoid damage. There is no choice to engage on the ground. Aoki I thought was just a collision of styles, thought it was interesting. And the Hendo fight was a true war.

That's how I feel as well.
I found the Melendez/Aoki fight very entertaining and soaked up every moment of it. The only bout I was really dissapointed in was the Mousasi/ King Mo fight simply because I feel as if Gegard just let it slip from his fingers.
AchillesHeel
4/18/10 9:48:41AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I thought title fights were suppose to be the most looked forward too and most prestigious and greatest fights on an organization's card? How come lately it seems like they have been the worst?

Looking at the criticisms being leveled - not just yours - I think a lot of people who watch MMA don't really appreciate wrestling, and view a finish as inherently more impressive than a win by Decision. Unfortunately for those folks, good wrestling just WTFPWNs in MMA. I happen to enjoy wrestling - and perhaps more importantly, I can see the battle going on for what it is - so I'm having fun watching fighters like GSP, Jake Shields, King Mo, and Jon Fitch.

"Offense wins games, defense wins championships" is a truism in every competitive sport, and I think it's actually a good sign in the development of the sport that MMA champions are becoming guys who are difficult to hit, difficult to hurt, and difficult to handle.
sbulldavid
4/18/10 11:42:12AM
It may seem exciting when two club fighters with pillow fists and glass chins go back and forth, but anybody that knew about MMA before last night, new how dangerous Aoki was, and Melendez got in and mixed it up then pulled out. We might have knew who was winning, but it was a chess match to the finish, in all three fights.
Caesarrrr
4/18/10 3:16:42PM
I thought that Hendo/Shields was the best title fight we've seen lately. Jake shields managed to survive the power of Hendo's hands, as well as controlling him in a way we've never seen before. This man was an olympic wrestler. I don't know how many of you appreciate that, but that means his wrestling is probably better than 98% of MMA's fighters. Yet it didn't stop shields from dominating him.
BustedKnuckle
4/19/10 8:32:01PM
i really liked the fights on SF and thought that the latest interim championship in the UFC HW div was great. A lot more fights do seem to go to a dec. now , but like somone said earlier its just the fact that all the fighters are getting better and kinda evening out....skils wise.
Jackelope
4/19/10 9:54:26PM
I think it's pretty simple. It's a combination of more even match ups, title holders less willing to take risks, and the progression of the sport as a whole.

It's kind of funny when you think about the fact that in other sports the title matches are usually more entertaining for these exact reasons, but that in MMA they're overall less entertaining for these reasons. Everyone likes two evenly matched NBA, NFL, or NHL teams facing one another. Yet for some reason in MMA we all miss the days when Matt Hughes was slamming competition effortlessly through the mat, Chuck Liddell was knocking contender's blocks off on the regular, and Tim Sylvia was pinning the competition's ears back with his jabs.

On a side note- In the end I think this is good for lighter weight classes. We will finally see why all along in individual vs. individual sports like wrestling and boxing the lighter weight classes are simply put much more fun to watch. Think about the last 135, 145, and 155 title fights. They've all been amazing.