MMA Hall Of Famer To Admit Steroid Use Tonight On "Inside MMA"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » MMA Hall Of Famer To Admit Steroid Use Tonight On "Inside MMA"
DCRage
6/11/10 2:05:20PM
At least according to Mania via a press release HDNet put out ahead of tonight's episode, which will feature Dennis Hallman, Pat Barry and Renato Sobral among others. No word yet on who this user is.

Article
grappler0000
6/11/10 2:06:57PM
It's Shammy...hope I didn't spoil the surprise for anyone.
Twenty20Dollars
6/11/10 2:17:02PM
My first thought was coleman, but I totally forgot about shammy as he has fallen off the map.
casketcoin
6/11/10 2:19:48PM
Sham WoW

Hopefully not the Beast
Jackelope
6/11/10 2:34:34PM
Sounds about right if it is Shamrock. I mean he's completely fallen out of the spotlight now. Only thing he can do to get back in it is to admit to steroid use.

He'll more than likely try to leave the audience with the image of a black eye on the face of MMA. Because ultimately it will be about "Me, me, me" and "Oh if the big, bad, mean world didn't push me to do this I wouldn't have done it!!"

Man, this steroid crap drives me nuts. I know I've said it before on the boards but I've tried steroids before. Only once. And why did I do it? Because I had a victim's mentality back then. I lacked confidence and a sense of control over my own life and the way people viewed me. I was getting hurt lifting weights because I didn't do it the right way nor build my body proportionately. All the classic reasons people use steroids. All crap. What it all comes down to is a weak mind and a "poor me" mentality.

With sports and these people who have done them late in their lives, it's engraved into who they are. They did them when they were 30 years old and very conscious of what it meant. Not when they were 18 years old and trying to figure out who they were like I (fortunately) was when I tried. Luckily I only did them once and I grew out of it before the victim mentality became a part of my life. When you have that mentality at 30 or 40 it's who you are.

I could be totally wrong. But I doubt it in this instance. I hope whoever it is- whether Shammy or anyone else- that they don't blame external factors. That they have the intestinal fortitude to look within themselves and really try to change who they are by manning up like so few athletes have done.
Jackelope
6/11/10 2:45:33PM
And also let me add this-

Anybody who hasn't seen it needs to watch "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" It is one of the most insanely well done documentaries I've ever seen and it does a great job of presenting all sides of the steroid argument.

ON STEROIDS-

Personally, I don't think for rehabilitation purposes they should be illegal at all. Doctors already do prescribe them. Physical therapists use steroid shock therapy to heal damage to tissues. There needs to be a very, very clear outline of when they are OK to use and when they aren't.

The industries also need to stop promoting steroids as completely unhealthy because the fact is they aren't. When abused they're unhealthy. Just like even water can be unhealthy when abused. In limited doses and with doctor supervision they are one of the most absolutely incredible medicines out there. One of the true marvels of medical science. Which has been completely abused. Just like nuclear energy has been abused by people. That's just what we do as human beings apparently. We discover something amazing, and just like all your buddies in high school when that new chick transferred in from out of state- you can't wait to get your hands all over it and abuse the **** out of it. Next thing you know the jocks or the stoners got a hold of her and she's either coked out of her gourd or she's getting turned out weekend after weekend at parties. And BAM- there went something amazing. Now she's just a used up jizz rag. (But she's still got a nice set of cans!)

That's exactly what happened with roids IMO. I've done a lot of research on it throughout my college years lol

emfleek
6/11/10 2:46:52PM

Posted by Jackelope

We discover something amazing, and just like all your buddies in high school when that new chick transferred in from out of state- you can't wait to get your hands all over it and abuse the **** out of it. Next thing you know the jocks or the stoners got a hold of her and she's either coked out of her gourd or she's getting turned out weekend after weekend at parties. And BAM- there went something amazing. Now she's just a used up jizz rag. (But she's still got a nice set of cans!)

You know way too much about my family.

Jackelope
6/11/10 2:48:16PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

We discover something amazing, and just like all your buddies in high school when that new chick transferred in from out of state- you can't wait to get your hands all over it and abuse the **** out of it. Next thing you know the jocks or the stoners got a hold of her and she's either coked out of her gourd or she's getting turned out weekend after weekend at parties. And BAM- there went something amazing. Now she's just a used up jizz rag. (But she's still got a nice set of cans!)

You know way too much about my family.

Yeah, your mom does have a nice set of cans

Haha ok ok maybe that was too far.
ncordless
6/11/10 3:17:28PM
I agree with the idea that steroids prescribed by doctors for the treatment of injuries should be legal.

They are used all the time in medicine to shorten injury and surgery recovery times. They may be illegal in sports, but there is a reason athletes are recovering so much faster these days and it ain't all about the skill of the surgeon.

I think there is a difference between using them to gain a competitive advantage and using them to recover from injuries. Under the surveillance of a doctor, athletes should be allowed to use steroids and other current methods to recover from injury.
grappler0000
6/11/10 3:21:22PM

Posted by Jackelope

And also let me add this-

Anybody who hasn't seen it needs to watch "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" It is one of the most insanely well done documentaries I've ever seen and it does a great job of presenting all sides of the steroid argument.

One of my favorite docs. Not only is it an entertaining and educational film, but it truly visits the issue from nearly every vantage point possible...which is tremendously rare with documentaries.

emfleek
6/11/10 3:33:53PM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, your mom does have a nice set of cans

Haha ok ok maybe that was too far.

Agreed on both counts.

sbulldavid
6/11/10 4:07:45PM
My guess would be Gracie because he's not fighting anymore and he's been busted before.
mrsmiley
6/11/10 6:49:13PM

Posted by ncordless

I agree with the idea that steroids prescribed by doctors for the treatment of injuries should be legal.

They are used all the time in medicine to shorten injury and surgery recovery times. They may be illegal in sports, but there is a reason athletes are recovering so much faster these days and it ain't all about the skill of the surgeon.

I think there is a difference between using them to gain a competitive advantage and using them to recover from injuries. Under the surveillance of a doctor, athletes should be allowed to use steroids and other current methods to recover from injury.

postman
6/11/10 9:40:10PM
watching no it is Ken
DCRage
6/11/10 11:04:56PM
It was Ken. Junkie posted an article about it.
Jackelope
6/11/10 11:37:16PM

Posted by Jackelope

Sounds about right if it is Shamrock. I mean he's completely fallen out of the spotlight now. Only thing he can do to get back in it is to admit to steroid use.

He'll more than likely try to leave the audience with the image of a black eye on the face of MMA. Because ultimately it will be about "Me, me, me" and "Oh if the big, bad, mean world didn't push me to do this I wouldn't have done it!!"

Man, this steroid crap drives me nuts. I know I've said it before on the boards but I've tried steroids before. Only once. And why did I do it? Because I had a victim's mentality back then. I lacked confidence and a sense of control over my own life and the way people viewed me. I was getting hurt lifting weights because I didn't do it the right way nor build my body proportionately. All the classic reasons people use steroids. All crap. What it all comes down to is a weak mind and a "poor me" mentality.

With sports and these people who have done them late in their lives, it's engraved into who they are. They did them when they were 30 years old and very conscious of what it meant. Not when they were 18 years old and trying to figure out who they were like I (fortunately) was when I tried. Luckily I only did them once and I grew out of it before the victim mentality became a part of my life. When you have that mentality at 30 or 40 it's who you are.

I could be totally wrong. But I doubt it in this instance. I hope whoever it is- whether Shammy or anyone else- that they don't blame external factors. That they have the intestinal fortitude to look within themselves and really try to change who they are by manning up like so few athletes have done.

AND..... (From JUNKIE )

Shamrock, who's also been involved in professional wrestling with the WWE, placed some of the blame on fans, whom he said want to see muscled-up athletes but ostracize them if they fail a test or endorse the drugs.

"When they find out about it, they want to stick their heads in the sand," Shamrock said. "No one wants to take responsibility, but everyone wants to see [bigger athletes]."

Go figure
grappler0000
6/12/10 12:52:11AM

Posted by DCRage

It was Ken. Junkie posted an article about it.

No update needed...I already filled in the blank long ago

cmill21
6/12/10 7:00:05PM
Who couldn't tell he was on them? Anyways, he'll write a book and gain some pub, make a little money and then fade off again. Meh, I don't really care.