UFC and MMA in general experiencing more upsets

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC and MMA in general experiencing more upsets
stickyhash421
11/17/07 3:58:57AM
what with the growing talent and multi dimensional skills of mma fighters today you can expect to see many more in the future, some would even argue that there is no such thing as favorites in mma because of its depth but clearly there will always be fan favorites so that will not be the case, and thats whats makes mma so great to me anyway, the fact that anybody can win at any point by anything. i was more of a pride fan back in the day and was shocked to see it go but the ufc is the new superbowl IMO and cant wait for some great fights to come.

ive compiled some great upsets from the ufc since 5/2001 or ufc 31 which is how long ive been watching the ufc...(these arnt aligned with todays stats but upsets at the time of the fights not as of right now) (and dont take these as if they are or were true just my opinons of upsets according to stats and skills.

couture VS rizzo 1
newton VS miletich
pulver VS penn 1
hughes VS sakurai
freeman VS mir
mcgee VS rizzo
ortiz VS k. shamrock 1
vitale VS lindland 1
couture VS liddell 1
trigg VS hughes 1
belfort VS couture 1, 2 and 3
diaz VS lawler
hughes VS st. pierre 1
ortiz VS belfort
sylvia VS arlovski 2 and 3
fickett VS koscheck
cope VS florian
neer VS guillard
cruz VS mir
ortiz VS griffin
hughes VS gracie
sanchez VS parisyan
hughes VS penn 2
lauzon VS pulver
macdonald VS leben
stevenson VS guillard
serra VS GSP
gonzaga VS cro cop
okami VS swick
liddell VS jackson 1 and 2
florian VS robinson
sherk VS franca
couture VS gonzaga
jackson VS henderson
bisbing VS hamill
kongo VS cro cop
leben VS martin
jardine VS liddell
griffin VS rua
syliva VS vera

i wont include split decisions(except bisbings)

did i miss any? ...surely i did
mkiv9secsupra
11/17/07 10:07:57AM
trigg VS hughes 1 - Hughes never is/was an underdog except against penn and gsp
ortiz VS griffin - a former lhw champ beating a guy almost new to the sport...
hughes VS gracie - Did anyone actually think royce would win?
okami VS swick - definitely no upset. great matchup
liddell VS jackson 1 and 2 - especially not fight 2. liddell had already been beaten by him once.
sherk VS franca - Sherk has never been subbed or ko'ed which was the only way Franca would have won. farthest from upset out of the whole list.
couture VS gonzaga - experience vs lots of hype.....it was about 50/50 odds so either way it wasnt an upset
jackson VS henderson - jackson was the favortie going in?! and he won! how is that an upset?
bisbing VS hamill
syliva VS vera - Boring doesnt mean you suck. Tim is great at what he does and vera is overhyped.

these are all NOT upsets....

Boo_Radley21
11/17/07 10:17:15AM
Ortiz vs Shamrock 1 isnt really an upset either IMO.
grappler0000
11/17/07 10:40:42AM
How is belfort VS couture 3 an upset?

Yes the first match was an upset...and yes the 2nd was as well, even though it was due to a cut. The 3rd fight however, not the case. Couture had already demolished Belfort in his prime and lost the 2nd match due to a freak cut, so I'm not sure how Belfort would have the upper hand in the 3rd match.
stickyhash421
11/17/07 6:25:08PM

Posted by grappler0000

How is belfort VS couture 3 an upset?

Yes the first match was an upset...and yes the 2nd was as well, even though it was due to a cut. The 3rd fight however, not the case. Couture had already demolished Belfort in his prime and lost the 2nd match due to a freak cut, so I'm not sure how Belfort would have the upper hand in the 3rd match.

maybe it wasnt but i just didnt have any idea whod win, i figured couture because of the first fight but i thought i was going to see the old vitor, just my opinion no big deal ya know
stickyhash421
11/17/07 6:27:25PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

liddell VS jackson 1 and 2 - especially not fight 2. liddell had already been beaten by him once.
sherk VS franca - Sherk has never been subbed or ko'ed which was the only way Franca would have won. farthest from upset out of the whole list.
couture VS gonzaga - experience vs lots of hype.....it was about 50/50 odds so either way it wasnt an upset
jackson VS henderson - jackson was the favortie going in?! and he won! how is that an upset?
bisbing VS hamill
syliva VS vera - Boring doesnt mean you suck. Tim is great at what he does and vera is overhyped.

well if you read what i said earlier its my opinions of upsets not the norm or whatever, i dont give a crap what other people think or who they think will win, if you dont like it too bad go piss somebody else off

and yes bisping hamill was an upset because bisping shoulda lost the decision...duh
MMA
11/17/07 6:35:41PM
Hey, you need to relax. Don't go off at someone who was just making a point.

An upset, by definition, is when the overwhelmingly favorite, who is expected to win, loses to the underdog, who the majority expects to lose. So it is important to consider other's opinions to decide what is actually called an upset.
jgtribbett
11/18/07 1:17:56AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

bisbing VS hamill

upset... ? hmm... i was upset when i watch hamill
lose to bisbing.. what the **** ever... bispbing is sloppy